Good shop for CD Player's

tellranga

Friends,
Till some time back, I was under the impression that DVDP, VCDP, Media Players etc can be used in conjunction for both movies and music. Only recently (thanks to the forum) I realised that my assumption is wrong and we cannot hear good music unless we have a dedicated CD Player.
After getting enough guidance from this Forum and having spent more than a lakh for my HT Setup which includes Onkyo 6200 HTIB+LG LCD+Philips DVDP+XMP MP+Speaker wires + HDMI cables+ Voltage Stabilizer, I think it is not fare to be biased towards Movies alone and ignore the Music section.

So my journey to hunt CD Players begins.

My Requirement -
  • Budget - 5K to 10K (difficult to extend beyond this)
  • My current HT Room Size - 11*12 (pardon me for calling this room as HT Room)
  • My current Receivers & Speakers - I have to process the music thro my Onkyo 6200 AVR & its Front Speakers (I can hear what you guys are murmering, not in a position to upgrade my speakers now, sorry)

My Question - I have visited Chennai shops like Ezone, Shah, Vivek's, Next, Vasanth & Co etc to audition LCD's, AV Receivers etc. But in none of these shops I have seen a seperate section for CD Players (or may be I might have missed it).

Can you guys suggest me (1)couple of Chennai shops for me to audition CD Players and (2)good Brands which suits my Requirement ?

A good CD player will cost you around 15K at the minimum. Look for entry level models from NAD, Marantz and CA. NAD is dealt by Decibel, and CA from Cressida and Home Talkies.

Cheers.

Last edited:
A good CD player will cost you around 15K at the minimum. Look for entry level models from NAD and CA. NAD is dealt by Decibel, and CA from Cressida and Home Talkies.

Cheers.

Tellranga,
You can go for an entry level cdp like the marantz cd5003, ca 340c, Nad 515 etc but these cost around 14-20k.
Else you can buy a DAC and use it in conjunction with your Dvdp and Xmp Digital output to get good sound quality for stereo music.
Cambridge audio dac magic, Maverick dac etc are some you can check out.

Can this statement be elaborated.

Why not?:D

Tellranga, I am not sure what budget you have set for yourself. But for 10-15k, which is approx the price of an entry level cdp, you can get a decent DAC( Digital to Analog Converter) like:
1. iBasso d10
2. Keces 151
3. Maverick
4. Gigaworks dac
5.Cambridge audio damagic
6. Beresford 7520
And many many more.:)
Here you feed the digital signal from your xtreamer or dvdp( you are bypassing the DAC part of the said devices) to the standalone DAC that you purchase, and then it does the digital to analog conversion, such that you get high quality analog stereo through your DACs RCA out, which you can connect to your amp.

Check this thread
http://www.hifivision.com/cd-players/7586-dac-explanation-required.html
Please search, there are similar threads about DACs on our forums.
You can also use it to connect it with usb cable to your pc/laptop to improve sound quality from it.

Last edited:
Hemanth, both the 1160 and 1260 look interesting? Can you post some impressions of the playback delivery of the 1160?

Cheers

Ranga: If you can attend the Chennai HFV meet, you can see my DacMagic in action and you will understand why Dac might be a better investment as you can use u r existing DVDp and use the DAC and get better output than 30K CDP :)

Ranga: If you can attend the Chennai HFV meet, you can see my DacMagic in action and you will understand why Dac might be a better investment as you can use u r existing DVDp and use the DAC and get better output than 30K CDP :)

Ya Mad, waiting for the day eagerly along with others.

Why not?:D

Tellranga, I am not sure what budget you have set for yourself. But for 10-15k, which is approx the price of an entry level cdp, you can get a decent DAC( Digital to Analog Converter) like:
1. iBasso d10
2. Keces 151
3. Maverick
4. Gigaworks dac
5.Cambridge audio damagic
6. Beresford 7520
And many many more.:)

So many options, thats GR8 :clapping:

Since I will not be in Chennai, will not able to make it for the meet, unfortunately. Can anybody suggest couple of good CD Players shops in Chennai to get a feel?

Audio planet deals mostly with CA products. Have seen Marantz there but i I am not sure if he can give me the best deal.
Any other suggestions?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back