Good systems deliver music, better systems engage you, great systems tell a story!

I am currently building a diy OB speaker which should be ready by this weekend. Since you are in Mumbai, it will be my pleasure to host you for a listen and categorize my diy product. Most products are diy in the chain, DIY DAC, DIY DCB1 pre-amp, DIY IC & Speaker cables. You too will get an exposure to other diy stuffs.

Pm me and maybe we can setup a mutually acceptable time.

From my experience, you pretty much hit CAT 1 when you go by spec and word on the street. CAT2 and 3 is accomplished through a combination of Art and Science. When you have come full circle, you seek out simple or accomplished designs ( DIY, Brand..it doesn’t matter ) ..…then -> listening, matching, setup tuning all takes you further up this path.

That focal 1028 seems to be getting a lot of press. Does anyone know what it sells for in India ?

Also, whenever I have heard focal speakers, they have always come across as the " fast, modern, hear the needle drop on the ground " kinda speaker as compared to a sweet / musical one. This would suggest a place in the CAT-1. I may be wrong here, but just stating my experience.

Nice topic !
I guess most if us here, just because by being an audiophile we have an appreciation for how a system/component can contribute to good music would be in "Better Systems"

A Great system is what we all want to achieve and keep striving for and it goes so much more than the components and goes into everything from Room to power supplies and vibration control.

Also, whenever I have heard focal speakers, they have always come across as the " fast, modern, hear the needle drop on the ground " kinda speaker as compared to a sweet / musical one. This would suggest a place in the CAT-1. I may be wrong here, but just stating my experience.

Focal electras have a particular voicing that cannot be altered. It has a lower mid range suck out so you will never have a deep male vocal and may feel that the lower body us missing in the male vocal range. The bass is a soft diffused one. This is done to compensate for the speed of the beryllium tweeter. Hence you hear a lot of detail but unless matched carefully it sound artificial after a while. Listen to a dynaudio and you'll hear a much better balanced speaker which sounds neutral too. Focal can be breathtaking on female vocals but not so much on make ones. It also depends wgat you're comparing them too. It's a much better speaker than psb, Canton, etc.

That focal 1028 seems to be getting a lot of press. Does anyone know what it sells for in India ?
The Sopra's are significantly better square. I have heard the no.2 few times and it is my top speaker in the $10 - $15 k floor standers range, IMO better than the Wilson Sabrina - It has one the most natural midranges that I have heard. Even the no.1 is very good, albeit with restricted low frequency.
The Sopra's are available in India although at highly inflated prices compared to international pricing. I think I got a pricing of 13 lac for the Sopra no.2 from the previous distributor Preeti Trading. Not sure what the current distributor Sahil is pricing these at.
Cheers,
Sid

I have used and heard focal's at the extremes of the pole in pricing.
In ny car audio DIY journey Focal were the first components.
They have a typical East Coast sound to them and tweeters are better off placed off axis. With some taming with EQ, they sounded quite good, it's midbass was a revelation.

Then I heard an ultra expensive Focal speakers in an audio show driven by full Accuphase chain of CD player, pre and power amp. It was a great experience. Though the music was a bit forward, the dynamics were breathtaking. Incredibly fast speakers and almost life-like.
But it was an interesting combination, I felt the Accuphase was taming the Focal behemoths well, else these can behave brash if not partnered with the right electronics

Liked this hidden truth....
" We all have had a setup like this, where we will demo what sounds great on it when a friend is visiting but secretly we know it doesn't sound good on most CD's"

....I'm a newbie..so can't comment on any kind of setups.
Great article....

I have had the 1028 for a while now (4 years), love my speakers and don't plan to upgrade anytime in the near future, if i do then i might again go for focal but will choose the sopra or the utopia range, have heard many speakers, some super expensive setups and many bards, but always ended up with Focal's. From bookshelves to floor stand's i have owned a few of their models in the Electra range, overall its a personal preference i guess, just like food music is very personal.

Recently i changed my amplifier to Lavardin, it took my setup to a whole new level.

Focal electras have a particular voicing that cannot be altered. It has a lower mid range suck out so you will never have a deep male vocal and may feel that the lower body us missing in the male vocal range. The bass is a soft diffused one. This is done to compensate for the speed of the beryllium tweeter. Hence you hear a lot of detail but unless matched carefully it sound artificial after a while. Listen to a dynaudio and you'll hear a much better balanced speaker which sounds neutral too. Focal can be breathtaking on female vocals but not so much on make ones. It also depends wgat you're comparing them too. It's a much better speaker than psb, Canton, etc.

Thanks. Some albums to check good male midrange are Ella and Louis, Leonard cohen ( many ), the man comes around by Johnny Cash. You can feel them in your room if the speakers have an even frequency response.

I have had the 1028 for a while now (4 years), love my speakers and don't plan to upgrade anytime in the near future, if i do then i might again go for focal but will choose the sopra or the utopia range, have heard many speakers, some super expensive setups and many bards, but always ended up with Focal's. From bookshelves to floor stand's i have owned a few of their models in the Electra range, overall its a personal preference i guess, just like food music is very personal.

Recently i changed my amplifier to Lavardin, it took my setup to a whole new level.

Focals need power to sound "even handed " from what I hear.. although the sensitivity numbers seems very good. Which lavardin do you pair it with ?

I recently missed one on sale it by a whisker !!

I have used and heard focal's at the extremes of the pole in pricing.
In ny car audio DIY journey Focal were the first components.
They have a typical East Coast sound to them and tweeters are better off placed off axis. With some taming with EQ, they sounded quite good, it's midbass was a revelation.

Then I heard an ultra expensive Focal speakers in an audio show driven by full Accuphase chain of CD player, pre and power amp. It was a great experience. Though the music was a bit forward, the dynamics were breathtaking. Incredibly fast speakers and almost life-like.
But it was an interesting combination, I felt the Accuphase was taming the Focal behemoths well, else these can behave brash if not partnered with the right electronics
Was this at the whathifi show in Mumbai? They were the Scala floorstanders driven by the accuphase power Amp pre esoteric sacd combo?

Focals need power to sound "even handed " from what I hear.. although the sensitivity numbers seems very good. Which lavardin do you pair it with ?

I recently missed one on sale it by a whisker !!

IS reference, its plenty loud for be in 40% of the volume only very rarely i get it to 50%.

I used to drive my focal using a mccormack power and pass lab pre, lavardin beats this combo in every aspect of musical delivery IMO.

Was this at the whathifi show in Mumbai? They were the Scala floorstanders driven by the accuphase power Amp pre esoteric sacd combo?

Nahiji, It was in Chennai. If I remember right, they were the Grand Utopia.

Great to know that you own LAVARDIN amplifier.How good will it be with indian classical music ? Can you help me to source one , preferably pre owned .
Thanks in advance.
Madhu

Great to know that you own LAVARDIN amplifier.How good will it be with indian classical music ? Can you help me to source one , preferably pre owned .
Thanks in advance.
Madhu

I listen to limited Indian classical and it sounds amazing, with western classical which i listen to a lot it sounds amazing but the sound stage is not very wide.

I listen to Ilayaraja 75% of the time and it sounds perfect, if the recording is good then it is hard to believe such a small amp is producing this level of quality sound and musicality.

I dont think i can help you source but Ebay and Audiogon has some lavardin amps on sale, i would get the Model IT.

Thanks . while searching for LAVARDIN, came across ESOTERIC i03. Though price wise Its way beyond my reach, I picked it up without any hesitations.
WOW !!! What a player. It placed me in different ORBIT of enjoying classical music.
It made me to move all the heavens to own it, But once started listening ... it took me to a different world ... Where normal HiFi reviews will not stand a chance!!! Great Amp to own.

Thanks . while searching for LAVARDIN, came across ESOTERIC i03. Though price wise Its way beyond my reach, I picked it up without any hesitations.
WOW !!! What a player. It placed me in different ORBIT of enjoying classical music.
It made me to move all the heavens to own it, But once started listening ... it took me to a different world ... Where normal HiFi reviews will not stand a chance!!! Great Amp to own.
Which country make is this and how do you get it?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back