Good TT's for less than $500.

and I am not able to isolate the room from my wife. Digital Audio has made me lazy. But, I will certainly add a TT to my system.

Use "co-opt and win over" strategy:lol: Who knows she might be very fascinated by these "magical" 12 inch black discs (as opposed to mundane, tiny, shiny CDs;))!

I fully endorse the view of Sachu 888 regarding the quality of old TTs over the new ones. Without naming the brands, one of the new TT which came to me recently(May be Three year old) had rusted screws and it's suspension was on a rubber band!I have seen more than two hundred Japanese TTs and even the entry level TT of those days never compromised on such things and the quality of the material used is far superior to the modern day players . Hence they still play well. A decent vintage TT from Technics or JVC will out perform the Stantons,entry level Projects or Denons if they are given a overhaul by competent mechanic. An equivalent player using the quality of material of an SL 1200 cannot be sold for less than Rs 50K
kuruvilajacob

I don't know much about vintage TTs but I feel that comparing a 50K+ Technics to new, entry-level (20-25K) TTs is unfair. A fair comparison will be if you compare vintage TTs and new TTs in the same price range. For eg, the Technics can be compared to the Scheu Cello.

I may be starting another war of words here, but let me say it.

In my mind, a TT should have a strong motor, a heavy platter, and nothing else. What really matters is the arm and the cartridge. Instead of spending so much on something like a Scheu Cello (Asit, relax, I have nothing against it), I would rather go for something like a Stanton that looks strong, has a good tone arm, and install a good cartridge.

As long as the platter rotates at the prescribed speed, I am happy.

Cheers

Venkat, I do hope you stay away from the DJ concorde type cart this time and go in for a proper regular use cart. The DJ ones will be optimized for different things, the suspension and stylus more cued to rough usage, backscratching etc...

Regards

I agree with Venkat...that's why I haven't invested in a Rs.50,000+ turntable as I'm sure that my Technics SL3200 is up there with the very best.

I may be starting another war of words here, but let me say it.

In my mind, a TT should have a strong motor, a heavy platter, and nothing else. What really matters is the arm and the cartridge. Instead of spending so much on something like a Scheu Cello (Asit, relax, I have nothing against it), I would rather go for something like a Stanton that looks strong, has a good tone arm, and install a good cartridge.

As long as the platter rotates at the prescribed speed, I am happy.

Cheers

The Bearing..IMO it is even more important and difficult to get right than the Motor/Platter , without taking away anything from their importance.. this is the key differentiator as even the slightest deviation in tolerance will have a Huge impact.

Last edited:
hi. all old is gold but never to b sold .
so thats the way it is. a turnatble made in early 70s,80s can never beat a TT made now. thats the fact. those days it was a era of records . people listen to lps all of them & some of them to radios. which was very prestigious those days having an amp. TT, spks . the TT made were very heavy in weight . & solid state amps. huge spk. the era has gone. but the thing is world is round & round. lps r back in bissns few of them in india, approx after 15 yrs. still there r some record lovers which made the manufactures reproduce them . why will people buy music when u get a pirated mp3 for 20 bugs on roads.? . still lp sounds good & is a fantacy to listen to it. newTT r made & i thank the co for making them . some people want to buy a new player , dont want to use a used or old model . so its ok for those people who want to listen to them. the question arises when some keen music lovers wants to listen to music they will chk the music quality depth of music / vocals & overall sound quality. to there satisfaction. so a very good TT is a must & its the old one. old times they have done lot of research on TT for ipmroving quality. thks to the moderator for conveing the msg thk u all bye all lp lovers.........:clapping:

I have been collecting LP's since 1969 and still enjoying listening to them on my 30yr old JVC Turntable which has never given a day's problem, it's difficult to explain to my children how I enjoy the warm music of a scratched LP to a flawless cd

The real R&D for TTs took place in the 70's and early 80's. Of course many of the super hi-end brands like clear Audio have done a lot of R&D in Parallel Tracking arms and other areas lately. But a Stanton cannot match a SL-1200 or a Thorens TD-124 in its quality of bearings or flexibility in arm technology. There is absolutely no comparison IMHO
kuruvilajacob

I love my JVC QL-7 turntable as well (waiting to get it back from repairs..impatiently!!)... before that I used a Project Genie, a Cosmic Cogram and a Technics SL D2. This is finally the first table I've had where I didn't feel the itch to upgrade. Coupled with my CNC phono stage and my Denon DL-110 cartridge, I feel very satisfied. I have a feeling I will have to definitely cross upwards of 60k to improve this set up (for all of which I paid less than 15k)

Dear Tek,
JVC QLupward of 70K at the leaskuruvilajacob-7 is a very good TT. I have a Denon DP-60 which I think is very similar. To make a player like that today using the exact raw material and motor would certainly be

Here is another product that has been announced at the CES 2012. A TT from Audio Technica for 530$. Shamelessly based on the Technics 1200, this has both a DJ and a home model. 'The game is afoot, my friend', said Sherlock Holmes to his friend, Dr. Watson.

CES 2012: Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB Turntable | Sound and Vision Magazine

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more

I must definitely set aside $2000 for an entry into the TT world by December.

Cheers

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back