Good TT's for less than $500.

venkatcr

Here is an interesting article in Sound & Vision Magazine on TT's that cost less than $500.

What is interesting is that the Stanton STR8.150 and the ST150 seem to have actually beaten the venerable Technics 1200 as the best and most dependable DJ turntable in the world. And it is in current production. So stop lusting after the Technics and go for the Stanton.

Seriously thinking of getting one now.

I do own an original Technics SL 1200 (1972) and one of the new breed of DJ TTs. Honestly, the new ones cannot match in the quality of Technics SL 1200 in the solidity in construction, quality of arm etc. Yes, with a buit-in preamp, the new ones may be convenient to use. Only time will reveal the durability of the new brands
kuruvilajacob

I do own an original Technics SL 1200 (1972) and one of the new breed of DJ TTs. Honestly, the new ones cannot match in the quality of Technics SL 1200 in the solidity in construction, quality of arm etc. Yes, with a buit-in preamp, the new ones may be convenient to use. Only time will reveal the durability of the new brands
kuruvilajacob

agree 100%...those technics direct drives SL series are hard to beat.

Here is an interesting article in Sound & Vision Magazine on TT's that cost less than $500.

What is interesting is that the Stanton STR8.150 and the ST150 seem to have actually beaten the venerable Technics 1200 as the best and most dependable DJ turntable in the world. And it is in current production. So stop lusting after the Technics and go for the Stanton.

Hi
Stanton TTs are not comparable with Technics 1210.New TTs like Stanton,Audio Technica are cheap clone of Technics 1210.

Regards,
Sachin

Can't believe its coming from you

Technics 1200/1210 is a history now, and these Stanton tables are made inspired by them, Comparable in features but solidity, robustness Technics is hard to beat

I think Stanton STR 150 and Audio Technics AT PL 240 is closely matched in performance, all though I don't like the crappy on-board preamp

in my opinion even a used nice condition deal in Technics 1200 (approx. $450) is better than Stanton

Arnab

Can't believe its coming from you

Technics 1200/1210 is a history now, and these Stanton tables are made inspired by them, Comparable in features but solidity, robustness Technics is hard to beat

I think Stanton STR 150 and Audio Technics AT PL 240 is closely matched in performance, all though I don't like the crappy on-board preamp

in my opinion even a used nice condition deal in Technics 1200 (approx. $450) is better than Stanton

Arnab

From what I read from Venkats post, it is rated as a better DJ TT (the requirements of which is not Primarily Sound Quality ).
the first link has other sub USD500 TTs which are all pretty good.

Last edited:
i've had some bad experiences with plastic turntables and in-built phono preamps...honestly, these turntables are built for good ol' grandma who would want to pull out those old records and play them...people with a sense for Hi-Fi, stay away!!

Welcome to the vinyl club Venkat, should you decide to go in for a turntable. I hope you enjoy the experience of cleaning them, caring for them, getting all the paraphernalia to set things up etc, even if your digital rig still remains your first preference. You should also get vinyl easily in Chennai.

Regards

Thanks Stevieboy. My movement to 'audiophile' system is two fold. My main source will be my FLAC files of which I have nearly 2 TB. I am quite happy with it, and have requested Sharath of Audire to make a integrated amplifier for me. This should reach me by March.

I am toying with the idea of getting an entry level TT, and installing a reasonable or mid-end cartridge. Hopefully I should have a good system for about 2K dollars. I will experiment with the system. If I like it I will build my vinyl collection slowly. If not the TT will be available for sale on HFV very quickly. :):)

Cheers

I feel genuine vinyl music lovers should not be carried away by the new plastic TTs. I hope awareness should be spread about this fact. If not, many would be vinyl newbees could get a wrong impression about the real vintage vinyl experience we are at present enjoying. Many youngsters are buying these TTs with in built preamp and connecting it to their computer speakers! They don't know what they are missing.
kuruvilajacob

hi. all old is gold but never to b sold .
so thats the way it is. a turnatble made in early 70s,80s can never beat a TT made now. thats the fact. those days it was a era of records . people listen to lps all of them & some of them to radios. which was very prestigious those days having an amp. TT, spks . the TT made were very heavy in weight . & solid state amps. huge spk. the era has gone. but the thing is world is round & round. lps r back in bissns few of them in india, approx after 15 yrs. still there r some record lovers which made the manufactures reproduce them . why will people buy music when u get a pirated mp3 for 20 bugs on roads.? . still lp sounds good & is a fantacy to listen to it. newTT r made & i thank the co for making them . some people want to buy a new player , dont want to use a used or old model . so its ok for those people who want to listen to them. the question arises when some keen music lovers wants to listen to music they will chk the music quality depth of music / vocals & overall sound quality. to there satisfaction. so a very good TT is a must & its the old one. old times they have done lot of research on TT for ipmroving quality. thks to the moderator for conveing the msg thk u all bye all lp lovers.........:clapping:

Last edited:
Thanks Stevieboy. My movement to 'audiophile' system is two fold. My main source will be my FLAC files of which I have nearly 2 TB. I am quite happy with it, and have requested Sharath of Audire to make a integrated amplifier for me. This should reach me by March.

I am toying with the idea of getting an entry level TT, and installing a reasonable or mid-end cartridge. Hopefully I should have a good system for about 2K dollars. I will experiment with the system. If I like it I will build my vinyl collection slowly. If not the TT will be available for sale on HFV very quickly. :):)

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

You mean integrated amp with phono built in or this is a separate amp unrelated to the turntable you are exploring?

For 1 lakh you should certainly do good. I do hope you're going out and listening to a few direct drive and belt TTs, cos each will have their own signature sound varying cos of table/toneram and cart possibilities. It's good that you don't have fixed ideas on TTs which have an existing reputation and are actually exploring all the options available to you. Personally I'd pick the Project or Rega over the Stanton :) Or wait for a really good second hand TT, scouting around on the local Olxs etc. This however can be a hit and miss affair... Is the Stanton you're considering a belt drive or DD?

For carts, based on what I've heard of the entry level Ortofon OM5E and the highly regarded SPU, I can tell you that the entry level OM5 is a really good bet. Unlike the issues that the Shure Mx97E that seem to be cropping up now, the Ortofon is a solid performer and very upgradable with its changeable styli models.

And of course you have the good DIY CNC phono here itself!

Regards

I've always associated Venkat with being in the digital club so I'm very interested (and happy) to see how his search pans out. 2K USD is a very healthy budget. All the best!

Stevieboy, the amp will be a simple high end integrated amp. I will have to get a phono interface separately. Sharath is designing the amp from ground up for me.

I have used a Dual 606 with a Ortofon Concorde cartridge and will most probably go for a Ortofon only. I have not made up my mind regarding TTs. I am going to Dubai in May and will pick up one from there, if available. Hopefully I will have some expendable money by that time. I am also eyeing a DAC1 that needs an additional 1500$.

I am not fixated over the Stanton, though their concept of high torque motor and toughness seems ideal for Indian conditions.:):) Frankly, I am too lazy for the effort and care needed for a TT, and I am not able to isolate the room from my wife. Digital Audio has made me lazy. But, I will certainly add a TT to my system.

We will see.

Thanks for your input.

I've always associated Venkat with being in the digital club so I'm very interested (and happy) to see how his search pans out. 2K USD is a very healthy budget. All the best!

Oh, I am very much into the digital domain, and that will be my main stay. If you had read my many threads/posts, my first entry into 'high-end' music was a Dual 696 with a Ortofon Cartridge in which I played The Wall till you could see through the album. I yet regret having sold that TT. If only Dual takes life again. Sigh! But I am little averse to buying second hand TT, as I believe modern technology can deliver better and more robust products, in terms of motor, drive, ball bearings, etc.

Cheers

Last edited:
I know and agree. I too am in the digital domain but I think having a TT as well means you can have the best of both worlds. Also agree about a second-hand TT. It's too fine an equipment to take a chance with.

Oh, I am very much into the digital domain, and that will be my main stay. If you had read my many threads/posts, my first entry into 'high-end' music was a Dual 696 with a Ortofon Cartridge in which I played The Wall till you could see through the album. I yet regret having sold that TT. If only Dual take life again. Sigh! But I am little averse to buying second hand TT, as I believe modern technology can deliver better and more robust products, in terms of motor, drive, ball bearings, etc.

Cheers

Not true,TT technology is same.Vintage TTs had better bearing/platter/plinth than modern once,but newer Tts have better tonearm.

Regards,
Sachin

Not true,TT technology is same.Vintage TTs had better bearing/platter/plinth than modern once,but newer Tts have better tonearm.

The technology for making a TT is and could be the same, but today we have better raw material for motor, plinth, platter. etc. That will mean a lighter TT that has lesser friction, and less stress on the motor. In addition, production methods have improve tremendously.

Cheers

The technology for making a TT is and could be the same, but today we have better raw material for motor, plinth, platter. etc. That will mean a lighter TT that has lesser friction, and less stress on the motor. In addition, production methods have improve tremendously.

Cheers

Hi,
This is not true.You have to spend good amount to match the performance of decent Vintage TTs like Technics SP-10/sp-25/sp15/1210,Garrard 301/401,JVC,Victor,Micro Seiki etc,list is very long.
I have found my entry level Micro Seiki and Technics SLD-303 TTs better than today's entry level players costing 25k-30k

Regards,
Sachin

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back