Google Galaxy LG Nexus 4 vs Indian 5 inchers (Micromax A110 canvas and others)

arnprasad

Hi

My new employer wont support either blackberry or androids - so I am planning to get rid of my blackberry curve whose only USP was office mails and calendar. I am looking at a big screen phone and was dreaming about the galaxy nexus but since I was relying on BB for office, it remained just a dream.

I have been searching around and currently have two options I think.

1) Indian 5 inchers like the Micromax Canvas A110.

Pros:
Looks decent
Nice big screen
Specs are decent
Very affordable (by that I mean I dont mind dumping it 2 years time for a newer phone assuming it will work for 2 years:lol:)
Indian warranty for one year

Cons:
Cant compete with the Lexus 4 but then its half the price
Not sure when they will get Jelly Bean if at all. Will miss the project butter experience
512 RAM low for normal use?

2) Google Galaxy LG nexus 4

Pros:
Pretty much everything about the phone

Cons:
No expandable storage
Dont think we Indians need to worry about missing LTE
Need to beg/plead with some one going to US as not sure if Google will release it in India
No warranty if bought abroad
At around 20K for 16 gig model, still affordable.

I am no techie and dont do any custom ROM install and all that. 80% of the usage will be for calling, messaging. Other 20%, watching 1gig downloaded movies, playing free games like angry birds or fruit ninja - no FPS or RPG hi def games for me.

Considering my type of profile, assuming affordability is not an issue, do you think its worth waiting for the LG phone as I dont know who will travel to US and when.

Other questions:
the LG supports HSPA+ upto 40 mbps. Does anyone offers that kind of speeds in India? I have seen companies quoting upto 21mbps for 3G datacards. All it takes to get these speeds is just a 3G sim or do I need to spend more?

One of the cool features for me which I have never used in India is GPS - both phones have them. I have seen voice navigation videos made by folks in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Not sure if a GPS on a costlier phone performs better than a cheaper one - any idea? I believe the LG also supports the Russian GPS - GNSS.

Any advice will be appreciated. I am just sick of my BB curve - although the phone in itself has been great with no problems thus far. Somehow its coolness is lost when you dont get office mail.:indifferent14:

Of the 2 you mentioned above, I'd say wait for the Nexus. Apart from the low cost, not much is in favor of the micromax.

Here's why:
- Quad core processor (qualcomm S4 that too). Nothing kills the android experience like lags (micro or big).

- OS upgrades: With the Nexus you will always have the latest android (& they have been getting better with each iteration). Compared to 2.3, Android 4 was far Superior & smoother for me. & now Google now is hard to live without :)

- Personal tinkering: When I got the galaxy S in 2010, I had never flashed a phone firmware ever. As I got restless to get a new phone (& samsung didn't give OS upgrades on time) I started flashing stuff from XDA. That not only got me new stuff but believe me made the phone better. (There are developers on XDA that would put the entire OS staff of Samsung to shame)

It's unlikely that LG will launch the Nexus at that price point in India :( most reports about pricing outside US are disappointing.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back