Got a few lps now looking for a tt.

sivasarjun

Hello,
I went to a shop in Calicut looking for a valve radio and on impulse bought some 35 lps instead.And the same day bought another set of about 25 lps from our FM Suresh Kuranjalayil.
I dont have a tt and my knowledge is zero.
So if the analog gurus can recommend or guide me in getting a suitable turntable it would be very helpful.
My budget is....well as low as possible.And it shouldnt be too difficult to set up or maintain.I am planning to use a vintage Yamaha amp until I can afford a proper phono pre.
Thanks.

Slightly OT, but vinyl gurus, for a guy who doesnt have a TT, does it make sense to collect Lps, which may only be used after a year when finally the TT comes home?
I mean, is it unwise to acquire LPs when regular use is not guaranteed?

Sivasarjun, all the best sir! Will call you soon.

i suggest go for vintage

you may want to replace with new cartridge, shure M97xe is good cart

you can also go for vintage amp and speakers too

Regards

Tanoj

Slightly OT, but vinyl gurus, for a guy who doesnt have a TT, does it make sense to collect Lps, which may only be used after a year when finally the TT comes home?

I am unable to understand your predicament.
LPs are just another music media. Nothing wrong in collecting music in the form of LPs, even though you dont have a TT. Just make sure you store them vertically, in a dust free environment subject to minimal effects of the weather like excess heat or dampness also keep the cockroaches and other insects away. Whenever you do get a TT trust me you will love and cherish them.

Though this will mean a lot lesser LPs in the market to buy for folks like me who dont have a large collection.

Good point but I went the other way, got over 100 LPs before I got my first TT. The advantage here is:

1) If you have the LPs, you wont drop the idea to buy a TT :eek:hyeah:
2) More importantly, when the TT arrives you'll have stuff to play on it
3) LPs are not a dead investment anyways, if you ultimately dont decide to buy your TT, there will be many to put their hands up and buy out your LPs
4) Also, some LPs cannot be waited for, you may come across a favourite which just needs to be bought, or you may never come across a copy again.

I remember in the 1970s, my father also accumulated a few cassette tapes before buying a cassette recorder.

Its like the "who came first scenario, the chicken or the egg" :lol:

Thank you for the reply!
But the points you have mentioned are what I am worried about. Storing in a dust free environment, vertically is fine, but its the humid kerala weather I am worried about.
Anyway, I am going to give it a shot, collect a few as I can save up!

Edit: reubensm, I know, even I got cassettes and later on CDs before I got my player. For that matter, I bought a keychain, way before I got my first motorbike :)
I am just a little ignorant and (hence) paranoid about LP maintenance.

Last edited:
Hi iaudio

Mumbai is also very humid. Similar to Kerala. Dust levels are much higher in Mumbai. I have had absolutely no problems with any of my lps. Nothing happens to lps as long as you do not scratch them or misuse them

Thank you for the reply!
But the points you have mentioned are what I am worried about. Storing in a dust free environment, vertically is fine, but its the humid kerala weather I am worried about.
Anyway, I am going to give it a shot, collect a few as I can save up!

Please keep me also in loop (esp for malayalam lps). Is it very rare? I am also looking to start a collection.

Note: This request is to all Keralite FMs who are collecting LPs :)

Last edited:
Prem, Thanks for that info!

cmsajith, I am not too familiar with where and how to get, but I will keep you posted as I find out. :)

Hi iaudio

Whenever you buy a lp, clean it with luke warm distilled water. Use a very soft lint free cloth. Keep the record back ideally in a new static free inner sleeve. The old sleeve may be dirty.

Prem, Thank you! I do read our resident vinyl head Steven aka stevieboys threads and I remember him mentioning this quite a few times. Ditto for Rajiv( That is a vinyl rig I fell hard and fast for!).

Been reading a lot about cartridges and stylus and direct drive belt drive etc.I must say am confused more than usual.Guess has to research a lot more.
Meanwhile if any Mahagurus have any tt which they are looking to disose of that will be wonderful.

Hello,
I went to a shop in Calicut looking for a valve radio and on impulse bought some 35 lps instead.And the same day bought another set of about 25 lps from our FM Suresh Kuranjalayil.
I dont have a tt and my knowledge is zero.
So if the analog gurus can recommend or guide me in getting a suitable turntable it would be very helpful.
My budget is....well as low as possible.And it shouldnt be too difficult to set up or maintain.I am planning to use a vintage Yamaha amp until I can afford a proper phono pre.
Thanks.

Welcome to the world of vinyl. There is a guy in calicut who sells HMV TTs if your looking for something very cheap. If you can raise the bar a bit, you can find a lot of good pre-used TTs on quickr. However, while looking up websites, watch out for guys who sell very dusty, soiled and perhaps, defective TTs. They would have noted that TTs are back in vogue, dug out their old stuff from storage and are trying to sell them. Avoid these. Also, TTs basically are of 3 different types (depending on the type of drive method used to turn the platter). They are (1) Idler Wheel Drives, (2) Belt Drives and (3) Direct Drives. My suggestion would be to stay away from Idler Drives. Due to the success of the Garrard 301 and 401 and old time Lencos, any turntable with an Idler drive tends to be highly over priced just because they have Idler wheels (when they are actually not worth a couple of thousand bucks). The safest bet would be with direct drives, if you can find one in good condition, Technics being the preference. Try contacting forum member Kuruvilajacob, he may have a TT or two, up for sale.

Edit: Also it is easier to clean old LPs than to accquire them, especially in Kerala :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of vinyl. There is a guy in calicut who sells HMV TTs if your looking for something very cheap. If you can raise the bar a bit, you can find a lot of good pre-used TTs on quickr. However, while looking up websites, watch out for guys who sell very dusty, soiled and perhaps, defective TTs. They would have noted that TTs are back in vogue, dug out their old stuff from storage and are trying to sell them. Avoid these. Also, TTs basically are of 3 different types (depending on the type of drive method used to turn the platter). They are (1) Idler Wheel Drives, (2) Belt Drives and (3) Direct Drives. My suggestion would be to stay away from Idler Drives. Due to the success of the Garrard 301 and 401 and old time Lencos, any turntable with an Idler drive tends to be highly over priced just because they have Idler wheels (when they are actually not worth a couple of thousand bucks). The safest bet would be with direct drives, if you can find one in good condition, Technics being the preference. Try contacting forum member Kuruvilajacob, he may have a TT or two, up for sale.

Edit: Also it is easier to clean old LPs than to accquire them, especially in Kerala :)
That was useful.Will try to stick to direct drive.
What could be a reasonable price for a decent vintage tt?Is it possible for around Rs 7,8 k?

That was useful.Will try to stick to direct drive.
What could be a reasonable price for a decent vintage tt?Is it possible for around Rs 7,8 k?

My take based on a bit of research which I did for myself:

Garrard Idlers, Laboratory Series Turntables (not record changers):
1) excellent condition: Rs.7k to Rs.9k
2) fair condition: Rs.3K to Rs.5K
3) soiled/poor condition: Rs.500 to Rs.1.5K
Garrard 301/401/Zero, etc do not fall in this price range and are very expensive and much sort after

Garrard Record Changers
1) excellent condition: Rs.4k to Rs.5k
2) fair condition: Rs.1.5k to Rs. 2.5k
3) soiled/poor condition: stay away, not worth it

Belt Drivers, the modern plastic ones
1) excellent condition: not more than 5k
2) fair condition: not more than 3k
3) soiled/poor condition: stay away, not worth it as these are use and throw-away types

I would price these low as these cost between $25 and $100 in the United States (either new or pre-used). A lot of these turntables doing the rounds in India have been hand-carried by IT professioinals from the US. Ignore market conditions in India when you buy.

Vintage Indian Turntables - HMV, Philips, Cosmic, Sonodyne
Buy only if in excellent condition for between Rs.500 to Rs.3k depending on make. Avoid if the condition is fair or poor. HMV and Philips would be priced below Rs.1500 definitely.

Direct Drivers (Vintage): Technics/Pioneer/Sony/Denon/JVC etc
excellent: from Rs.7k to as high as Rs.13k (the exception being Technics SL1200 series and SP series)
fair: from Rs.4k to Rs.6.5k
poor: from Rs.1.5k to Rs.3k provided it is restorable

This is purely my opinion based on what i've come across from both a buyer's perspective and a seller's perspective. An excellent turntable would be in excellent cosmetic and functional shape, complete with magnetic cargtridge (atleast MM) and good stylus. It would also be probably a single owner turntable with traceable ownership history. A fair turntable may or may not have a cart but will be in fair cosmetic shape with minor nicks and dings. Mechanically, they should be fully functional. Poor/Soiled stuff would be in very poor shape, cosmetically and functionally and would need a lot of restoration work.

I have left out a few types intentionally as prices could vary big time and are difficult to predict as they are on the high side. A few of the vintage turntables from Lenco, Linn and models like Garrard 301/401, Thorens TD124/TD135, Technics SL1200, Technics SP10/15/25 and EMT 938 turntables fall in this category.

Hope this helps. Again, this is purely my opinion.

Edit: Also a lot depends on luck and your destiny. You may have a relative (close or distant) who may have this wonderful TT packed up and lying in the store room or loft. You may just about get it for nothing :) I remember as a kid in the late 1970s and early 1980s, most upwardly mobile kerala homes used to have these japanese hi-fi racks (brought from the middle east), populated with gear from Sony, Pioneer, Technics, Panasonic, Akai, Sansui and more...a TT was usually part of these racks. There should be a lot of these stored all over the place, not in use. If you are after these, happy hunting!!

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, our forum member Kuruvilajacob is the personified "turntable hunter" in Kerala. He specializes in digging out these old treasures, stored away in Kerala homes.

Edit: spelling error

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back