Got Garrard 40B with Shure M44-7

darshanjoshi

Hello Friends

I am newbie to TT's and am seeking your help for setting up my TT.

Just got a Garrard 40B TT from my friend with Shure M44-7. Also got some 20 LP's with it. :eek:hyeah: All these stuff were just lying in his loft for 15-17yrs.

Cosmetics conditions of the TT and LP does not look very impressive :mad: so I need some help.... For curiosity I just plugged the TT and played it without a LP and to my surprise, it worked.

Now I wanna check whether it plays LP's flawlessly or not. Before I start, I would like you'll advise me how I should proceed.
1. Can I clean my TT with any chemicals / solutions?
2. Can I clean my LP's with any chemicals / solutions?
3. Do I require a Stereo Amp with Phono Pre-Amp or this TT can be connected directly to Analog RCA of a Stereo Amp.

Thanks for sharing and being patient.

Hi Darshanjoshi,

Welcome to the vinyl club.

1. Go to Vinyl Engine | The Home of the Turntable, register yourself and search for your particular turntable's manual. Familiarise yourself with the working and the switches. This will also help you see what you need to clean/oil/grease etc.

2. A rag dipped in a little soapy water and wiping dry for starters will clean things up cosmetically. For cleaning the working moving parts underneath which are oiled, people use various things from isopropyl alchohol to WD40 to clean old gunky oiled parts before re lubricating with the relevant oil. General 3in1 should be good for starters.

3. For your LPs, search the forum lots of threads on cleaning. A basic concoction of isopropyl alchohol 20%, distilled water 80% and a few drops of liquid soap (I used to use pril). Rinse well with RO/distilled water and then dry with microfibre cloths. All of which you'll find on threads here.

4. For connecting your TT, you'll need a phono amp. You can get an amp with the phono section built in or build one yourself, look at the CNC DIY thread started by sachu here.

Have fun!

Pandurang = pandurang

a capable TT repairman is nerby your place - opera house - call me for his no and visit..
ur vintage amps with phono in is sufficient for time being

u got changer version or simple ? myself too have same tt

Pandurang = pandurang

a capable TT repairman is nerby your place - opera house - call me for his no and visit..
ur vintage amps with phono in is sufficient for time being

u got changer version or simple ? myself too have same tt

Its Changer Version.

One more thing, I see two wires that come out of TT which are very similar to RCA. Are these phonos?

Yes darshan,

These are the wires that go into the phonostage/phonopreamp. There should also be an earthing wire that normally terminates in a U shaped spade that fits on the earthing point of your amp.

Regards

Eh? No earth wire? reuben the garrard 301 has a lug for earthing and it's old. My old dual also has an earth wire... I thought all almost all tonearms had an earth wire hmmmmm

Edit: checked the manual on vinyl engine. It does have the earth wire along with the cart leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Was obviously referring to the old garrard changers, sp25s etc and definitely not to the highly exceptional 301 and 401. However is someone opened them up, an earth wife could easily be connected (with the y-connector). The pick-up wiring usually included the earthing wire, more so as the tone arms themselves were metallic. Have been through quite a few of these old ones.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back