Got hold of B&W DM602 S3

Beginner_N

Hi Guys,

I bought used(6yrs) B&W DM602 S3, this guy was using them as his surrounds. He has huge Magnapan in front :)

Speakers are not even burn, and it was deal :)

Regards,

These are awesome speakers for bookshelf size. And sounds really good. It comes with 7" kevlar and nautilus tweeter.

Low are nice deep for me, dont want to compare with floorstanding. And High and pleasant.

Regards,

603's are 602's in a larger cabinet. They added a radiator, however they made a 602.5 before that which was just a larger cabinet. I have a 603 S1 - it actually sounds great with almost anything. 13 watt SE Tube amps to 200 watt SS. These are very very versatile. My friend also has a 603 S2 he's using as surrounds. He has a B&W 801 s2 in front. Mine is going into my sons room after we move some furniture around and get his room arranged up. In simple stereo run from a denon 1910.

Cool.
Srinath.

Here is the insides of the front baffle of the 603 S1 (which is the same as the 602 S1).
S2 and S3 have nautilus style snail tail tweeters. But same concept. The pegs that the front grille goes into has the phillips head screws under it, and removing those the front baffle comes out. Replacing a tweeter/diaphragm would need to have these removed.

Cool.
Srinath.

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_154119.jpg
    IMG_20151011_154119.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20151011_154130.jpg
    IMG_20151011_154130.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
B&W DM602 S3 paired with Rotel RA-04

Hello FM's,

Finally I am able to listen to BW 602 with Rotel RA-04, and what to say they sound lot different that when paired with AVR.

Sound seems to have opened up and fills room. Brightness is perfect, bass is much more tighter.

I am happy happy happy :D

Thanks!

Regards,
Nishant

Re: B&W DM602 S3 paired with Rotel RA-04

I am happy happy happy :D

I am glad that you wrote this. No matter what we buy or listen to, everything boils down to this statement. And those who dare to share these particular words...I am happy for 'em too.

Enjoy music to the fullest! [emoji4]

Nishant,

When you listen and get the feeling "Yes! That sounds right," your quest is over.
Rotel/BW is generally a good pairing. They are tested together.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Raghu

...and these are my older 603 S2:
603_S2_9.jpg

Those B&W 602s are sweet sounding, was fortunate to hear them with Quad and they were deliciously audible!

GCE your 603 is generating a titillating sensation in me.

eh eh... :licklips: I have had Quad 34+306 linked to B&W for 20 years
for Shibashis and Beginner: Do you think that 602's tweeters are too bright or stressing...?

603_S2_2.jpg

Last edited:
GCE I only had the chance to listen to the 602s for a few hours, on that day we were trying various DACs in the chain, and our FM Koushik also uses the same combo as you, a Quad 34 with 306. It did not seem overtly bright to me, in fact with a Benchmark 2L DAC the entire chain sounded fantastic, no other word for it! It was fantastic!

Do yourself a favor and get something better than that measly Rotel. Seriously you should throw all the power you can afford to :D Just make sure it's high quality. You'll be rewarded well. One of the best bookshelves available at reasonable-ish prices (if you can find one) :)

GCE I only had the chance to listen to the 602s for a few hours, on that day we were trying various DACs in the chain, and our FM Koushik also uses the same combo as you, a Quad 34 with 306. It did not seem overtly bright to me, in fact with a Benchmark 2L DAC the entire chain sounded fantastic, no other word for it! It was fantastic!

+1 to what Shibashis already said. Quad 34/306+B&W 602 blended extremely well like match made in heaven. It was awesome. All I could say, If I could afford, I'd definitely go for them.

There's no harm in trying though. If you catch hold of someone who has Quad 306/606, you can test it out for yourself.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back