Got my new rig and a couple of question :)

ajaylion2

Hello all, I got the following systems to complete my living room:
Denon X1100w 7.2ch receiver
Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 speaker set
Boston Acoustics XS 2.1 speaker set

I set these up yesterday and got frustrated while configuring. As I'm new to all of this, i need advice to tune it up all right. My room size is 12x22feet, the TV is on the 12ft side wall, i have placed the central one at the center, two front satellites, 2 mid surround and 2 rear surrounds speakers(the ones from 2.1). I've placed the sub that came from 5.1 set at the front right corner of the room and the sub from 2.1 at the rear left corner. I set my ps3 to automatically configure audio by itself and i can see 5.1, 7.1 Dolby LCPM etc set by it.

I set up Audyssey calibration(set amp assign as "Surround Back") and got it fully done(8 trials). I have hooked the ps3 via HDMI(both audio and video) to the receiver and then to the TV. I slid in The Dark Knight Bluray film and got poor results. My 8 year old Sony DVD 5.1 sounded better. I could hear the voice only over the central speaker, the effects are thumping though but the voices aren't fully at range. I played music and can hear crackling sounds when at mid-highs(like old speakers do). I would also like to add that the wires that i used for these speakers are of the ones which i got from a local store for temporary testing, these aren't rated for quality speakers(not sure if this would matter?). Please help!!

Also one last question about the 2.1 set, the sub has 2 audio inputs and 2 audio outputs(i'm presuming the sub has a built in amp), should i set it up like receiver->sub->speakers or directly receiver->speakers?

you can adjust the channel level manually. For the sub you need to connect subout from avr to lfe in on sub.you also need to do some setting on the avr as front spr to small, sub as yes etc this is listed in the manual.

fiddling it around a few hours, I'm very much satisfied now. The only part is regarding the crossover frequency, the store guy said not to set anything apart 110hz for all speakers(else the speakers would take damage). When i caliberated with audyssey, it set to 200hz. Should i keep it at 110hz or 200hz? Also there is a manual crossover setting at the rear of both subs which can be set between 40 and 180. Which value should i set? The recommended value there is 180hz for soundware xs. I'm confused

Last edited:
My Denon x1100w settings manually adjusted after Audessey caliberation:
Dialogue Level +1
Center +1
Fronts - Default
Rears - -3
Crossover - 120 for all channels, you should set it to 150.

Additionally Ps3 decodes the sound by default, so please uncheck the aac 5.1 and aac 7.1 from Ps3 audio settings or it will never passthrough DD or DTS to the receiver.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back