Got my Oppo- BDP93 Blu-ray player

I could be wrong. But if you output sound as bitstream and let the AVR decode it, there should not be any SQ difference.

But Oppo PQ is supposed to be the best because of its Anchor Bay chip.

can't the video be also "bit-streamed" - which means video passed onto avr as is and then upscaled/ processed by avr or TV? Isn't it the TV that finally converts digital video signal to analog?

can't the video be also "bit-streamed" - which means video passed onto avr as is and then upscaled/ processed by avr or TV? Isn't it the TV that finally converts digital video signal to analog?
The upscaling capability of Oppo is much better than most of the AVRs. The built-in upscaler in AVR is usually very basic. It does not have advanced processing to eliminate scaling artifacts, such as jagged edges, motion adaptive noise reduction, mosquito noise, etc. Only expensive/high-end AVRs have good upscaling capability.

A typical HDTV also has an upscaler and it kicks in when it detects a signal that is less than the native resolution of the TV. The HD-Ready TV will also have a downscaler and will downscale 1080p signal to 720p. The upscaler in HDTV is even more basic and should never be relied upon for good PQ.

Upscaling applies to SD (480p/576p) and HD-Ready (720p) video only. Upscaling is over HDMI only (digital). But even with analogue output, the Oppo does a very good job of improving PQ but no upscaling.

One more thing. The Plasma and LCD TVs are not analog - they are digital (old pre-2004 plasmas were analogue). These HDTVs contain a DAC. When you connect any analogue video via composite/s-video/component, the DAC converts the signal to digital. CRT TVs were analogue.

I could be wrong. But if you output sound as bitstream and let the AVR decode it, there should not be any SQ difference.

But Oppo PQ is supposed to be the best because of its Anchor Bay chip.
You're correct. If you output sound as bitstream and let the AVR decode, then the sound is same. The difference then lies in audio Digital to Analog conversion. One needs to see if their AVR can accept multi-channel analog input and which DAC is better, AVR or Oppo. Other than that, there is no difference.

The BDP93 has Qdeo chip by Marvell. BDP-83 had the Anchor Bay chip.
I have not seen a player/processor of Qdeo but its considered better than ABT, atleast for scaling. ABT has that ringing added to anything scaled by it.

Last edited:
Hi All,

The BDP93 picture quality is great, the Marvell chip does a great job and you will be amazed with the picture quality when you play a DVD disc.

I also brought a region free modification chip from imegstore (IMEGStore), you can buy it on the site and they ship it to India. Shipping to India is 24USD. So the total price comes to 90USD.

It is a simple plug in play chip and DVD becomes region free by default. Blu ray can be made region free using the remote.

Regards, Ravi

Oppo BDP-93 is indeed universal voltage (100V - 240V, 50/60Hz AC).

But universal player does not mean universal voltage. Universal player means that the player will play all official video and audio formats and sometime unofficial too (such as Dvix/Xvid/mp3).

A typical HDTV also has an upscaler and it kicks in when it detects a signal that is less than the native resolution of the TV. The HD-Ready TV will also have a downscaler and will downscale 1080p signal to 720p. The upscaler in HDTV is even more basic and should never be relied upon for good PQ.

Your last statement is not true at all. Ultimately its the TV that determines how the picture is displayed. I have video pass through and let the TV upscale for me. There are no differences between this upscaling and AVR upscaling. Also my plasma is few years old now.

Upscaling applies to SD (480p/576p) and HD-Ready (720p) video only. Upscaling is over HDMI only (digital). But even with analogue output, the Oppo does a very good job of improving PQ but no upscaling.

This is incorrect information. You can also upscale using component video cables. Please don't provide incorrect facts.

...(old pre-2004 plasmas were analogue). ...

Again not true. High Definition is in relation to the signal that comes in and which can be displayed. Analogue vs. Digital is done by tuners either in TVs or by Set Top Boxes.

Your last statement is not true at all. Ultimately its the TV that determines how the picture is displayed. I have video pass through and let the TV upscale for me. There are no differences between this upscaling and AVR upscaling. Also my plasma is few years old now.
So there is no point buying a BDP or AVR with expensive upscaler chip? Like the premium ABT in Oppo?

--G0bble

So there is no point buying a BDP or AVR with expensive upscaler chip? Like the premium ABT in Oppo?

--G0bble

Upscaling and picture quality are entirely different things. Oppo's are known for producing excellent PQ in relation to other players. The chips in the players do have a big impact on this. So its still a worthy buy.

At the same time if one has a HD ready TV (720P) then irrespective of what sort of BDP you have, you will be limited by the TV which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

Finally, I know people are fascinated by BR video format as its "full HD" but I think its biggest bang for the the buck is audio as it can support high resolution streams. Reason is I have not seen clear differences between a 720P and 1080P resolution 42 inch and lower TVs when fed with 1080P content. But again this is MY observation.

No arguments friend but if all upscaling was equivalent, people would not pay premium on players such as Oppo. Upscaling in TV is very basic. In fact no TV spec ever mentions that it will upscale video. Basically what HD-TVs do is mere adjustment of pixel resolution. It is not upscaling in the true sense.

This is incorrect information. You can also upscale using component video cables. Please don't provide incorrect facts.

Again you are wrong my friend. The HDCP issue also involved. Component cables provide clean image because of chroma separation and ability to provide progressive scan. But if you connect any upscaling DVD player or BD player using component cables, and play a DVD, while you will get very good PQ, the output will be 480p or 576p as the case may be.

Again not true. High Definition is in relation to the signal that comes in and which can be displayed. Analogue vs. Digital is done by tuners either in TVs or by Set Top Boxes.

Old plasma TVs (pre-2004) were analogue with analogue tuner. These TVs had SD resolution. High Def is a later phenomenon.

Cheers.

I think what the TVs are doing is upconversion and not upscaling. These are two different technologies. You can read a detailed thread here:

http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/3017-upconversion-vs-upscaling.html
All the digital TV's/displays do upscaling or decimation to their native resolution.

For example, if the TV's native resolution is 1080p, then it will upscale/upconvert any signal that is not 1080p+digital. If you feed it 480p/720p/1080i through HDMI, then it will be upscaled to 1080p. If you feed it 480i/480p/720p/1080i through component, then it will be converted to digital and then upscaled to 1080p. All the digital displays have the scaling, deinterlacing and analog to digital conversion chips. Sometimes, a single chip does all the three. The main reason for this is because a digital display can only show the picture in its native resolution to use the full panel.

Now, that brings us to the next question. Is the scaling chip in the Tv better than the in the players? It depends on the chip they used. Many times, TV manufacturers cut corners and they use lesser quality chips. If they used a high quality like Reon, ABT, Qdeo, then they usually specify in brochures.
Another thing is - whether we can notice the quality of the scaling. That depends upon the image size and seating distance. At 40" screen size, watching from 12 ft, its very hard to say. At that distance, very few people will even notice difference between 1080p vs 720p. Some people will notice the difference and some won't.

Also, the scaling chips sometimes have the problems of their own too. Like ABT chip is known add ringing during scaling. So, see the TV in the showroom with 480i/p connection, from a distance same as seating position. If you don't notice any artifacts, de-interlacing issues etc, most likely you won't feel the need for another scaling chip.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back