GPS functionality on phones

Hence I would not like to depend on the mobile service operator's network while using GPS. I dont know about other phones, but Windows based phones can be used as Standalone GPS device, the reason why I am myself using HTC.

Which software do you use with your HTC phone ?

My concern with Google maps is that suppose you are travelling and enter a "No mobile network" area....I mean just in case. I know its highly unlikely nowadays, but still.
Hence I would not like to depend on the mobile service operator's network while using GPS. I dont know about other phones, but Windows based phones can be used as Standalone GPS device, the reason why I am myself using HTC.

Yes that might happen, infact it did happen with me but just for a minute or so. And I agree that operator based maps can have that drawback, but even syambian based mobiles can be used as stand alone GPS device, but with nokia maps, which as I said are not as good as GM, and so even if I have to use operater based maps I will stick to Google Maps.

BTW :: Which maps are there on a Windows based Mobile phones like the one you mentioned HTC

Satguide, Map My India. I have heard latter is better.

I doubt these would be better than Googler Maps. Havent used both so cant pass a judgement, but I think hardly anybody can beat Google Maps.......they are so extensive in their detail, I was shocked to see some of the so remote steets and places of Delhi NCR marked on it.

MMI is available on Nokia's OS as well, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Ovi Navigation is free throughout the world (the parts that count anyway), right ? For example, if I were to go to America, I wouldn't have to pay anything to access maps for the region ?

Last edited:
MMI is available on Nokia's OS as well, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Ovi Navigation is free throughout the world (the parts that count anyway), right ? For example, if I were to go to America, I wouldn't have to pay anything to access maps for the region ?

If you go to America and use OVI Navigation, you would be lost anyway....lol:D.....................just kidding..........the ans I suppose is Yes, but only on Nokia Mobiles

And yes MMI is available on Nokia OS but are paid or trial

Map is not preloaded. That is a huge volume of data, not possible.
It is downloaded from the Google server bit by bit.
Read the detailed explanation below: -

You can download Google maps on PC and then transfer it to phone. This was, there would not be any GPRS cost.

Software for doing this is available at mgmaps.com.

Overall, best choice it to buy Nokia or Windows mobile phone for GPS. Both run:

1. Google maps (via mgmaps)
2. Garmin Mobile XT

You can buy Garmin maps from Satguide ot Mapmyindia.

Satguide maps for all India cost just 1000 Rs. And it was updated last week. It now covers ~700 cities.

... if I were to go to America, I wouldn't have to pay anything to access maps for the region ?
I bought my N82 with India maps on it. I added UK, and recently Singapore. You can download the countries that you need when you need them.

Warning: the Nokia software to do this is cumbersome and ridiculous. I'm sure Nokia employs the people Microsoft reject! For a start, it always deletes everything and starts again! There is a web page (don't have the link just now, Google will help) which gives nice links to each Nokia map and the simple instructions to install it. It makes sense to do a complete backup of your memory card, of course, first.

My 2 cents.
I have been using Windows mobile for the last 4 years or so and have used GPS often.
quick GPS really works wonders. I would say it gets a fix in 5 seconds and not even 20-30 secs as someone wrote.
As far as maps are concerned, I have used mapking, Satguide, MMI and google maps.
Mapking, Satguide and MMI of course are offline and the whole map resides on the device so you do not need data to access. The applications of course are all paid. GPS of course being free. Some of the Asus phones come bundled with satguide. Among these 3 definitely MMI is the best.

Google mpas advantages
1. Free.
2. Satellite view - not there in any of the others.
3. Integrates with other google services like lattitude and Buzz.
4. The new layers feature is great.
5. Voice navigation already available for Android and BB. Voice search feature present for Windows mobile.
6. AGPS - which gets your location based on the relation to mobile towers. Very useful for devices which even do not have GPS.

Disadvantages
1. Data costs
2. Battery drains faster since you are using GPS and data as opposed to other softwares where you are going to use only GPS.
3. Areas without network, no use.

I bought the Nokia 5230 in the end. I figured it gives me the freedom of using any kind of maps I want. Plus, navigation whenever I'm abroad will be free.

I loaded Ovi Maps on it, but GPS didn't work on it. It turns out there was some virus on the memory card which caused 'Maps' to not work/screw my phone up. I'll load it again tonight and see how it goes. The resistive touchscreen isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be. Overall, I like this better than my old iPhone 2G.

For those who have a Nokia phone - is there anyway to load the 'voice nav' part through a PC or wil it have to be done on the phone itself, via GPRS ? I asked the shopkeeper, he said GPRS was the only way.

I like this better than my old iPhone 2G.

Thundering Typhoons!!!! :eek: you dropped iPhone for 5230 ........ Man this is the hardest thing for me to believe in the past year ....... no..decade......iPhone has :THE BEST" Google maps application and it works like wonders with GPS, no phone comes close when it comes to useability, features, responsiveness, accelrometer and touch screen is concerned to iphone..............man still cant digest this news.........not possible......tell me the phone was broken:D ......... or was fake iPhone ...or something so that I can sleep peacfully at night....:D :D ......

For those who have a Nokia phone - is there anyway to load the 'voice nav' part through a PC or wil it have to be done on the phone itself, via GPRS ? I asked the shopkeeper, he said GPRS was the only way.

Excellent choice...

You can easily load maps from PC.

1. Install "Ovi Suite" on PC from ovi.com
2. Connect Phone via USB cable to PC
3. In OVI Suite, you can download India or any other Map. It would be transferred to cell.

Here is the site that gives links for the Nokia maps:

symbian underground

You can download to your PC and then install to the directory tree on your memory card without using any Nokia software.

The Nokia software is dreadful, especially if you are loading additional maps. I've done it both ways, and I strongly recommend the do-it-yourself approach. This is particularly important if you are adding a map, as the Nokia morons wrote their program so that it deletes what you have, forcing you to download everything all over again.

Last edited:
Thundering Typhoons!!!! :eek: you dropped iPhone for 5230 ........ Man this is the hardest thing for me to believe in the past year ....... no..decade......iPhone has :THE BEST" Google maps application and it works like wonders with GPS, no phone comes close when it comes to useability, features, responsiveness, accelrometer and touch screen is concerned to iphone..............man still cant digest this news.........not possible......tell me the phone was broken:D ......... or was fake iPhone ...or something so that I can sleep peacfully at night....:D :D ......

Which google maps app is this great one? i would like to buy a GPS dock for my iPod touch and use it. Does it save maps offline?

Regards

Which google maps app is this great one? i would like to buy a GPS dock for my iPod touch and use it. Does it save maps offline?
Regards

Yes you can save maps for offline viewing, but it pretty tough that way...google does not allow maps to be saved offline much like Nokia does (but then Nokia Maps sucks)........anyway there is an application called ... Maps Offline developed by a 16 year old kid. Complete details at the below link...

View Google Maps Locally With Maps Offline 0.1 | Touch Podium

But gooble that was not exactly what I was praising google maps for in iPhone......Google Maps will be Google Maps irrespective of the phone you use it but the way iPhone gives the interphase to browse the maps and use it is comendable and for me has turned out to be the best experience till date.....,,coupled with Wifi or 3G....Google Maps simply rocks on iPhone. In India 3G is yet to be popular so I can understand the drawback, but when I was in US.......GM with 3G was like my personal navigator in NY and NY has loads and loads of confusing streets and routes. It was a pleasue to navigate GM to reach to your destination. I can only wish and wait India to have proper 3G so that we do not have to depend on Crappy GPRS.

Back