Greetings to all from a hard core DIYer, but new to this forum

GeorgeO

Good afternoon all

I am new to this forum but have been DIYing my gear for over 10 years, currently have 2 rigs for 2 chanel audio using valve amps-one from Sophia Electrci(EL 34) and another a Class 1 from diyhifisupply. I also have an AKSA 55N(Nirvana upgrade)+ DAC from Audiosector, a HT speaker system using Audax speakers( Joe D'Appolito design), Panasonic projector and Onkyo AVreciver. Two subs both DIY using PRs(passive radiators) and 12 inch drivers( Audio Concept+Lambda). Speaker systems for 2 channel audio are both stand mounted monitors, using Scanspeaks mids and tweeters and Focal mids+ Raven ribbons.

I have built two pre amps from kits-one is a solid state one and another is a valve one, as well as an EL 34 based power amp. I was on the old basslist-a very well known, but now defunct diy speaker forum with a lot of members in the US for many years. I have recently moved into my new house and am in the process of getting my basement audio+HT room ready.

I just received a pair of Fostex 167E and am about to start building this TQWT design:

FT-1600 MKII Design Details

At this time I suspect this may be my last project in this area, but am more than willing to share my experiences with others

Cheers

George

Forgot to add

My source is a Slim Devices Squeezebox SB3 connected wirelessly,, as well as an Onkyo CD player( nowadays I dont use it much).Audio is ripped and sits on a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo. The SB3 is connected to the Audiosector DAC which has two outputs-one to the sub and another to the amp.

hi, welcome to the forum. I am a new i 'diy' er.( Excess of enthusiasm but little theoretical back ground). You will be a valuable addition to the forum. Would love to share your work. Regards.

A newcomer but a veteran!! Great to have you on this forum. I am sure you will be able to contribute a lot to our gyaan ... Welcome. :)

Regards

hi george,

welcome to the forum. i've got a single driver with those very same drivers! do post progress, pics i'd be interested in following a diy build of this speaker.

regards

Welcome aboard.

The FE167E seems like a popular driver. I'm currently building a pair of bookshelf speakers with those drivers.

Hi,

George Very warm welcome to this wonderful forum :) !! Hope you'll enjoy your stay here !!

Hmm some DIY you've got :clapping:!! Please do post some of them here for Us to enjoy !!

The Fostex one is a real beauty should sound fabulous ! Btw where do you get your boxes done ??

Would be interested to drop in sometime for an Audition whenever its ok with you ;) !!

Well hope to see you in action soon ;)!

Regards.

Thanks folks for the welcome.

I have not wired up any system at this time since I just moved into my new house, so regretfully auditioning ( welcome ) will be possible only after some time. I am getting all of the other things done at home to make life comfortable:)

soundsgreat: I have got my enclosures done by a woodworker friend here in Bangalore called Woodwonder, just off Hosur Road, near Wilson Gardens. Enclosures are made of MDF inside and plywood veneer outside, with solid wood baffles and rounded corners.

Keith: I posted a link to the design that I plan for the Fostex. I have auditioned these in a similar design at Viren Bakshi's place( Lyrita Audio) and was very impressed. Bob Brines uses tools developed by Martin King who is an authority on this type of speaker.

I need to mount my projector to the basement roof/rear wall,and set up my HT system. I plan to buy a locally available projector mount to do this.Anyone out there can assist me? Also plan a diy screen.

Interconnects are also diy,using Silver Sonic BL2 wire from DH Labs. I used to go to the uS every year for the past 8-9 years and on each trip pick up stuff. Now that both my sons are there, the travel will be a bit less, but will be there for a visit in mid Sep.

My Lambda Acoustics driver( my pride and joy) has a shorted voice coil and I plan to get it fixed on this trip. It is mounted in a 90 lt enclosure with dual 15 inch PRs. The other sub is a 12 inch mounted ina a much smaller box with a single 18 inch PR. Both are driven by plate amplifiers-175w and 250w.

Hi,

I have not wired up any system at this time since I just moved into my new house, so regretfully auditioning ( welcome ) will be possible only after some time. I am getting all of the other things done at home to make life comfortable

No hurry thats why I have clearly mentioned as when its possible ;) !!

I have got my enclosures done by a woodworker friend here in Bangalore called Woodwonder, just off Hosur Road, near Wilson Gardens. Enclosures are made of MDF inside and plywood veneer outside, with solid wood baffles and rounded corners.

Woodwonder,is it on the main road ?? coz I usually travel in that main road but haven't seen it !!

I plan to buy a locally available projector mount to do this.Anyone out there can assist me? Also plan a diy screen.

Hmm what help you need ? need help in buying the mount or ?? as with the DIY screen,I will say make use of the wall and use it as a screen check this thread and the links I've posted for more details.

DIY Projection Screen

Regards.

Great to see you here George :)
I stll have not got around to picking up some NOS tubes for my pre like you suggested. I am now thinking about the 3751 veriety instead of 12ax7's. It seems most love the 3751's over the 12ax7.

Vinny.

Last edited:
Woodwonder is not on the main road-they do mainly furniture and interiors but the owner is an old friend of mine, so he does these odd jobs for me. You turn off to the left( from Hosur Road) somewhere before Christ College, and then take a left and a right about 1 km in all-it's a bit complicated to explain, but they will give you directions if you call them up.. He's a bit pricey, though. In case you want their phone number I can pass it on and you can go across and met the supervisor Vincent and talk to him about your requirements.

Hi Vinny-Good to hear from you.Trust all is well!

George

PS Will be glad to share from my experiences with newbies anytime.

>Hmm what help you need ? need help in buying the mount or ?? as with the >DIY screen,I will say make use of the wall and use it as a screen check this >thread and the links I've posted for more details.

Looking at both a mount (what are the options available at this time?)as well as screen. I have used a wall in the past, and want to upgrade to a cloth screen now.

Great to see you here George :)
I stll have not got around to picking up some NOS tubes for my pre like you suggested. I am now thinking about the 3751 veriety instead of 12ax7's. It seems most love the 3751's over the 12ax7.

Vinny.

square wave,

its 5751 not 3751. i doubt most love 5751. i figure abhi's recent comments are weighing on your mind? i guess abhi was wowed cos of the tube he was comparing to ;) the ecc 83 telefunkens and mullard and bugle boys are top choices for this tube. try one, preferably the telefunken smoothplate and see the difference.

regards

Edit: the jj is a new production tube and very few new production tubes can come within sniffing distance of a good NOS tube. emission labs and kr tubes are a couple

Last edited:
Thanks folks for the welcome.

I have not wired up any system at this time since I just moved into my new house, so regretfully auditioning ( welcome ) will be possible only after some time. I am getting all of the other things done at home to make life comfortable:)

soundsgreat: I have got my enclosures done by a woodworker friend here in Bangalore called Woodwonder, just off Hosur Road, near Wilson Gardens. Enclosures are made of MDF inside and plywood veneer outside, with solid wood baffles and rounded corners.

Keith: I posted a link to the design that I plan for the Fostex. I have auditioned these in a similar design at Viren Bakshi's place( Lyrita Audio) and was very impressed. Bob Brines uses tools developed by Martin King who is an authority on this type of speaker.

I need to mount my projector to the basement roof/rear wall,and set up my HT system. I plan to buy a locally available projector mount to do this.Anyone out there can assist me? Also plan a diy screen.

Hey George, did you paid Bob Brines $25 to get the plans?

Hi,

Woodwonder is not on the main road-they do mainly furniture and interiors but the owner is an old friend of mine, so he does these odd jobs for me. You turn off to the left( from Hosur Road) somewhere before Christ College, and then take a left and a right about 1 km in all-it's a bit complicated to explain, but they will give you directions if you call them up.. He's a bit pricey, though. In case you want their phone number I can pass it on and you can go across and met the supervisor Vincent and talk to him about your requirements.

Thanks George,Just asked casually !! I have a fabulous source for the boxes ! no one in Bangalore or perhaps in India can match the fit and finish of them (please forgive me for the superlative word but if you see my speakers you'll agree)

Looking at both a mount (what are the options available at this time?)as well as screen. I have used a wall in the past, and want to upgrade to a cloth screen now.

George The average Ceiling mount costs you approx 2K !! if you want I can get it for you !!

If you please go through the link Am sure you'll comeback to the wall painting again ! so please do have a look at it ;)!! if still not convinced then I have few contacts who can supply normal to high gain screens !! let me know the size will check the prices and inform you !!

Slightly off topic sorry :p !!

its 5751 not 3751. i doubt most love 5751

Steve you are correct its 5751 not 3751 I think vinny made a typo ;) !

Anyways Steve have you checked the 5751 ?? coz in the latest Pre that Am cooking I planned to use them ! Also want to try some BEL 12AX7's ;)!!

the ecc 83 telefunkens and mullard and bugle boys are top choices for this tube. try one, preferably the telefunken smoothplate and see the difference.

Yes I tried the Mullard and its by far the Best !! haven't tried Telefunken yet will try to get some ! How bout Brimar?? Am getting some of them aswell in coming weeks !!

Regards.

square wave,

its 5751 not 3751. i doubt most love 5751. i figure abhi's recent comments are weighing on your mind? i guess abhi was wowed cos of the tube he was comparing to ;) the ecc 83 telefunkens and mullard and bugle boys are top choices for this tube. try one, preferably the telefunken smoothplate and see the difference.

regards

Edit: the jj is a new production tube and very few new production tubes can come within sniffing distance of a good NOS tube. emission labs and kr tubes are a couple

@Stevie. Yeah....I have been talking to Abhi. That was a typo. It is the 5751's of course :) And 50$ for these one of these oldies are a bit too much too :mad:

@George,
I doing fine.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back