Grey paint mix : on a white projector screen with short throw projector

mohdrizwan

Currently i am using GT1080Darbee from Optoma on a 135" white projector screen (fixed type). It has a throw ratio of "Throw Ratio: 0.50, f/2.8 "

The room is always dark.. no issues in that.

But i find the contrast ratio is very bad. Blacks are like in worst state.

I found that using grey screen would help.

a) Can i paint directly on a white screen (as i cannot use wall because of sockets , switches running in wall)
b) Grey mix formula (available in india) which I could use here.

I'm projecting it to a wall, i have used 1080p and now UHD. You may check the pictures attached to the UHD 65 unboxing thread

The issue with grey walls and grey screens is they will also tilt your color balance. Say a pure white will not be white anymore. Does your projector have an auto iris setting - if so what is the value you have set? How old is your bulb? If you projector has presets have you tried the movie option?

The issue with grey walls and grey screens is they will also tilt your color balance. Say a pure white will not be white anymore.

Who said that ? I've never seen it on my screen. Was using a Panasonic PT AR100 for quite some time now upgraded to UHD65

Currently i am using GT1080Darbee from Optoma on a 135" white projector screen (fixed type). It has a throw ratio of "Throw Ratio: 0.50, f/2.8 "

The room is always dark.. no issues in that.

But i find the contrast ratio is very bad. Blacks are like in worst state.

I found that using grey screen would help.

a) Can i paint directly on a white screen (as i cannot use wall because of sockets , switches running in wall)
b) Grey mix formula (available in india) which I could use here.
Me on the same boat!
Have a look at this thread for discussion on grey paint mix -
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/dark-gray-screen.66836/page-4
As @arunthegr8 has said, the color balance changes in grey screen, unless its shade is something called Neutral Gray. The above thread discusses attempts to create that neutral shade mix in India.
Only risk I see - If grey color doesn't looks right on your fixed screen after painting, your screen will be ruined.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back