Group DIY Sub Build: With Peerless Driver and Forte 200 Watts Amp

Good going Anuj, if you are planning to work with large amounts of putty, I would recommend investing in a sanding machine as well. While making your flared port from PVC, make sure that both ends are flared similar to this - Heat Moulded Port Flares

Also while shaping pvc, only the required length from the tip needs to be heated to avoid creating wrinkles above the flare.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks a lot. Is that sanding machine similar to grinding machine? I am planning to buy one grinding machine this weekend. Or it can be used as sanding machine with proper grit grinding/sanding circle.

What was the total cost of Peerless 12" drive and plate amplifier (including postage / courier up to Bangalore) ? if you can show the individual total cost it will be great.

Thanks a lot. Is that sanding machine similar to grinding machine? I am planning to buy one grinding machine this weekend. Or it can be used as sanding machine with proper grit grinding/sanding circle.

Angular grinders cannot be used for finishing work and they are usually used for removing excess material. May be with a suitable wheel they can be used for buffing as well. While purchasing, look for models with removable wheel guard.

Try to get a quarter-sheet sanding machine that can use regular sand paper - B&D models similar to this cost around 3K - Black & Decker Tools | 1/4 Sheet Sander QS900

BTW angular grinders are easily available for rent as well.

What was the total cost of Peerless 12" drive and plate amplifier (including postage / courier up to Bangalore) ? if you can show the individual total cost it will be great.

Price I already mentioned in opening post and courier charges depends upon how you want to receive it. You can get quote from Varsha Electronics. Same thing available at ebay.in but little pricey (10,300) with shipping to your doorstep.

What is the model number for this Peerless driver.
Regards,
Vijay
No model # specified. Only T/S parameters.

No progress so far this weekend at all as been busy with some other work. Carpenter is not here as he went out of state.

Finding a place where they can round all the edges of box. Still, a long way to go.

Hi guys

i built a sub using the above components a couple of months ago.
built a sealed sub as i wasnt able to avail a good port. as far as results of the projetc go, i am pretty happy. have paired it with the wharfedale obsidian 5.0 set.
crossover freq set to 120 to so i use the woofers in the towers to a minimum.
great for movies.
one problem i faced with the amp is tht if i leave the sub hooked to a power supply all day, it tends to heat up. so i have to switch it on/off everytime i use it.
i would also suggest hooking the raw driver to winisd and burning it in for a couple of days
i have lined the interiors with rubberised 3m mat(the kind u see these days on doorsteps) and with high density foam with different levels. also added fibre glass for additional bump.

also, u can now get ports at varsha!

great. So now I can convert my sealed boxes to ported easily. Pls share some more info on flared ports, diameters available etc. Can the ports be folded to have effective length that is larger than the box dimensions? If yes, are they available pre-folded?

The port can be made flared with Bottle and flame heater ... a good reason to go for a scotch this time!

If you feel difficult to use the flame, dip one end of the pipe in boiling water and once you get enough flexibility use the bottle to flare the pipe.

great. So now I can convert my sealed boxes to ported easily. Pls share some more info on flared ports, diameters available etc. Can the ports be folded to have effective length that is larger than the box dimensions? If yes, are they available pre-folded?

pm me your email id. i'll fwd what i have from varsha. if u have their id, mail them. address it to mayank

I just spoke to Varsha and he informed that one of his client actually have stock of ports. He shared his mobile number and asked me to give his reference.

After some period of inactivity, I am able to fire my subwoofer yesterday. I catch hold another carpenter and did required changes in sub box.

All edges made round. Need to make it perfect by sanding while painting. Box is not yet damped and I hooked Plate Amp and Driver into it and it is working. Next few days will be test period before finalizing.

Pain point in port designing. Three times I failed to make it perfect. Now need some experts help to design flare in port. Please.

Today, I will put video and pictures of it in this thread.

Here are some pictures of initial setup:

img0203ie.jpg

img0198kq.jpg

img0199cy.jpg

img0200wl.jpg

img0201sk.jpg

img0202il.jpg

Last edited:
Price I already mentioned in opening post and courier charges depends upon how you want to receive it. You can get quote from Varsha Electronics. Same thing available at ebay.in but little pricey (10,300) with shipping to your doorstep.

No model # specified. Only T/S parameters.

hi
I am not an expert but the price u mentioned for peerless is 2800rs. In Sp rd u get original jbl 12 " sub box seal pack for 2400 rs. Now the point is our experts in the forum may be able to tell wether Peerless is Better than JBL??

hi
I am not an expert but the price u mentioned for peerless is 2800rs. In Sp rd u get original jbl 12 " sub box seal pack for 2400 rs. Now the point is our experts in the forum may be able to tell wether Peerless is Better than JBL??

Whether that JBL is for Car use or HT use?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back