Guidance needed for FS & Sub

shagun

Hello All,
I plan to have Yamaha V663 for my 20x22 living room with 60-40 Music-Movies usage.
Please help me choose between the following set of FS speakers(budget 35K):
1. Wharfedale 9.6
2. Mission 35i
3. KEF iQ5
4. Q Acoustics 1050i
5. MS 906i

Also please help me choose between the following subs (budget 25K):
1. Wharfedale SW150
2. Polk DSW Pro600
3. Klipsch Synergy sub-10

I have auditioned several of the above but at diff places, diff times, diff CDs, diff AVRs...I really cannot say which one I liked the most.
Kindly help me with your views and experience.

Are you planning on a 2.1 setup or planning to upgrade to 5.1/7.1 in the long run?

I've set up 2 Yamaha 663s with Q-Acoustics 1010i. Absolutely great for movies and music is pretty darn good too (just don't expect what a stereo setup will do). I'm pretty sure you'll like it so give it an audition if possible.

Otherwise the Wharfedales too are pretty good and 9.6s go pretty deep for bass (just don't compare with a sub though).

Wharfedale SW150 is very good.

For Floor standers i would go with wharfedales or mission as Yamaha 663 is not subtle. Kindly audition both.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Moserw

Are you planning on a 2.1 setup or planning to upgrade to 5.1/7.1 in the long run?

I've set up 2 Yamaha 663s with Q-Acoustics 1010i. Absolutely great for movies and music is pretty darn good too (just don't expect what a stereo setup will do). I'm pretty sure you'll like it so give it an audition if possible.

Otherwise the Wharfedales too are pretty good and 9.6s go pretty deep for bass (just don't compare with a sub though).

Thanks for your inputs.
I am currently planning for a 5.1 setup. I have kept a budget of 15K for the center and I will use my old Sony BS as surrounds.

How do you rate QA 1050i as I can extend my budget to have these.

Also if I have a good sub then is there an advantage of Wharfedale 9.6 with respect to the others.
Please share your views.
Best Regards.

Hi Prakasse

Wharfedale SW150 is very good.

For Floor standers i would go with wharfedales or mission as Yamaha 663 is not subtle. Kindly audition both.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I am not getting Mission for audition in Delhi. I can only buy them on order.
What is your opinion between the two- WF9.6 and M35i.
Regards.

The Q-Acoustic 1010i package is excellent and probably the best in its budget and excellent VFM too. Only there is no FS like 1050i and all are BS speakers. It comes with the 1000i Active Subwoofer. Like I've said I've used it with two Yamaha 663s and also planning a 7.1 package with the Yamaha 863.

Hi Moserw

Thanks for your inputs.
I am currently planning for a 5.1 setup. I have kept a budget of 15K for the center and I will use my old Sony BS as surrounds.

How do you rate QA 1050i as I can extend my budget to have these.

Also if I have a good sub then is there an advantage of Wharfedale 9.6 with respect to the others.
Please share your views.
Best Regards.

i like the KEF IQ5's

there was also a form memnber selling his relativly new IQ5s
see if you can contact him'
you may end up with a good deal

Hi Prakasse

I am not getting Mission for audition in Delhi. I can only buy them on order.
What is your opinion between the two- WF9.6 and M35i.
Regards.

I would go with wharfedale 9.5 and Wharfedale sw150.

Since you will have a sub i don't think 9.6 is required.

I have auditioned 9.5 with Sw150 and i loved it. Both were complementing each other without overdoing it.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi Magma,
i like the KEF IQ5's

there was also a form memnber selling his relativly new IQ5s
see if you can contact him'
you may end up with a good deal

Thanks.
Can you help me find the link/post.
I tried but could not locate.
Regards.

Maybe you can give a listen to wharfedale series 10 (floorstanders 10.4 - sw shd be in mkt by end of month). I heard 10.4 (10.5 and 10.6 are not yet in mkt) and found them to be brighter than series 9 (clearer sound)- though a few grands more expensive than series 9

Hi,
I auditioned Wharfedale 10.5. They have more clarity than 9.5 especially the vocals/mid-range.
So my current list goes like this for FS:
Wharfedale 10.5
Mission 35i

But then the more I read (various threads...) the more confused I become.

I am now thinking that if I postpone my plan to buy sub, I can go for bigger(more costly) FS:
Jamo C607
MA RS6
Wharfedale 10.7

Experts, please help me to take decision:
a. which strategy would be better: have a smaller FS & sub or have a bigger FS only in the current budget.
b. which FS from the above or any other (<60K).

Thanks.

Hi,

I do have a floor stander which claims to cover freq from 35hz to 27 Khz. But it can never match the sound output of a dedicated sub when it comes to low frequencies.

My personal opinion is No matter how big the Floor standers are, a dedicated Sub for is best for producing low frequencies.
Thanks,
Prakash.

If I was limited on budget, I would buy a very good pair of FS instead of mediocre FS and mediocre sub.

What I would do instead is to go for a quality pair of Bookshelf speakers and augment them with a subwoofer.

Thanks to all of you.
I have some doubts regarding BS:
1. For a room-size of 20'x22' will BS+Sub combination be OK.
Whenever I mention the roomsize to a seller, he starts recommending FS.
2. Is the difference between SQ of equivalent FS & BS only for the low frequencies(range for sub-woofer).
3. When a FS is rated say 200W I suppose that the higher wattage would be for lower freq range only which means that for mid-range & high-freq a 120W BS should be equivalent.
4. What BS do you suggest against FS like MA RS6/Jamo C607/Wharf 10.7 in the same price range.
Meanwhile I will explore the BS vs FS threads.
Thanks to all again.

Below what frequency does sound lose its directionality? A bookshelf that only does upto 50hz with a sub is no-no for sure. One will lose spatial cues in the critical low mids. Moreover I suspect while a sub might provide the low frequencies, a budget BS + sub will not produce deep rich tones even though you may cover a larger frequency range.
If someone can convince me otherwise I will be willing to invest in a sub :)

Regards

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back