Guide for purchasing home theater

aludum

I want to build my first home theater and I have no knowledge about hi-fi. my room size is 12*12 in which there is a bed 6*7 and the rest of area is for ht. i can't visit the store since i can't walk well after surgery. i can only audition them on the day when i'll be purchasing them.

I live in kolkata and the budget is 2 lakh including receiver and sub. Speakers need to be front ported since they have to be placed closed to wall. Also I have to buy bookshelves because of space. According to room space, I should buy satellites buy I want to hear decent quality sound. Also, I want to buy HSU or SVS sub as I heard they make great subs.

These following speakers have good reviews in whathifi, cnet etc. . I have no personal experience. I know their prices are different but I want to buy the best sounding one. Guide me.
1. B&W 685 S2 - 65,000
2. Wharfedale Diamond 220
3. Polk Rti A1
4. Polk Tsx 220b
5. Kef Q300

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 151
i would look at a powered speaker like

Audioengine A2+
supplemented by a small Audioengine woofer

the space available is too small i guess and any bookshelf or floorstander would occupy too much place i suppose.

Poweered speakers are a way out and save you the headache of amplifier matching / speaker cables etc..

Or maybe a nice Mini Home stereo system like Marantz MCR 603 with a wharfedale 10.1 oe the 210 or 121 etc... depending on budget or maybe the dali Lektor 1 which is small and wall mountable or if you want to spend more... them Dali Mentor Menuet is one speaker i dont tire of recommending for small rooms with good money.

The Mentor Menuet is a small speaker with a big heart.

Get well soon !

regards

sorry..

you seem to be looking for a Home theater..

please ignore my earlier post..

Maybe a soundbar with a powered subwoofer would be of interest to you.

regards

Thanks for the suggestion but I want 5.1 ht experience. Also I want to buy bookshelves with front ports so that I can hang them on wall. What do you think of speakers that I mentioned like Wharf 220, Kef, B&W 685 S2, Polk etc. ?

Thanks for the suggestion but I want 5.1 ht experience. Also I want to buy bookshelves with front ports so that I can hang them on wall. What do you think of speakers that I mentioned like Wharf 220, Kef, B&W 685 S2, Polk etc. ?

I Bought the Q Acoustics 2010i as front speakers with the 2000C as the centre channel. The 2010i are quite compact bookshelf speakers. I have wall mounted them using the QA wall bracket. The speakers are rear ported , but with the compatible wall mounting bracket , there is ample space for them to breathe. Also they are supplied with foam bungs to cover the rear port if reqd.
The speakers present with a wide sound stage & are quite dynamic. The detail is also quite perceptible. These are of course my observations . Also, I have the SVS PB1000 as the matching sub & believe me , it really digs deep down & has plenty of clean undistorted bass. Cheers

I Bought the Q Acoustics 2010i as front speakers with the 2000C as the centre channel. The 2010i are quite compact bookshelf speakers. I have wall mounted them using the QA wall bracket. The speakers are rear ported , but with the compatible wall mounting bracket , there is ample space for them to breathe. Also they are supplied with foam bungs to cover the rear port if reqd.
The speakers present with a wide sound stage & are quite dynamic. The detail is also quite perceptible. These are of course my observations . Also, I have the SVS PB1000 as the matching sub & believe me , it really digs deep down & has plenty of clean undistorted bass. Cheers

Thanks for your recommendations. Have you heard any of the speakers that i mentioned?

Yes I have heard the wharf 220 with a Marantz stereo amp as a 2.1 setup. Pretty good sound I must say & a relaxed warm sound signature. Cannot comment on the bass as this was running with a rhythmic sub with a nice taut bass response.
BTW the wharfs can also be wall mounted with their own wall mount brackets sold separately.

sorry..

you seem to be looking for a Home theater..

please ignore my earlier post..

Maybe a soundbar with a powered subwoofer would be of interest to you.

regards

Don't go by whathifi & cnet ratings solely.. They hold good for there respective geographies depending upon the competing products aval there... It doesn't apply to India... Juz take the ratings as a pointer...

For a 2 Lacs budget and 12 x 12 room, pick a top class AVR like Marantz SR 7008/9 (or) Denon X 4000/4100 (or) Onkyo TX NR 929... All these have Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 digital room correction feature equalizing one or two subs...

If Movie watching is your priority, then sateliite + Sub combo will do better job...

Instead of getting expensive speakers, try to complete more than 5.1 for a more compelling movie watching experience...

Don't go by whathifi & cnet ratings solely.. They hold good for there respective geographies depending upon the competing products aval there... It doesn't apply to India... Juz take the ratings as a pointer...

For a 2 Lacs budget and 12 x 12 room, pick a top class AVR like Marantz SR 7008/9 (or) Denon X 4000/4100 (or) Onkyo TX NR 929... All these have Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 digital room correction feature equalizing one or two subs...

If Movie watching is your priority, then sateliite + Sub combo will do better job...

Instead of getting expensive speakers, try to complete more than 5.1 for a more compelling movie watching experience...

I have read in many articles that we should spend more on speakers, subwoofers and least in receivers.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back