Harman Kardon AVR 255 versus Onkyo 606

Kelpie

People, I have the JBL SCS 500.5 with 2 extra speakers, making it a complete 7.1 surround speaker system, with a powered Sub Woofer.

I was planning on purchasing the HK AVR 255 (with the DTS and upconversion and faurdouja processer etc.), it costs 42k in Mumbai.

I was told to check out Onkyo 606 as it has the same features at a lower price.

This is only for movies, TV, sports etc. move viewing and listening than pure audio (pure audio, I have a seperate set up for my music).

Can someone please help me with the decision / dilemma please? My budget is 40k maximum, unless I get the earth for 4k more. . . or something like that.

Cheers:)

People, I have the JBL SCS 500.5 with 2 extra speakers, making it a complete 7.1 surround speaker system, with a powered Sub Woofer.

I was planning on purchasing the HK AVR 255 (with the DTS and upconversion and faurdouja processer etc.), it costs 42k in Mumbai.

I was told to check out Onkyo 606 as it has the same features at a lower price.

This is only for movies, TV, sports etc. move viewing and listening than pure audio (pure audio, I have a seperate set up for my music).

Can someone please help me with the decision / dilemma please? My budget is 40k maximum, unless I get the earth for 4k more. . . or something like that.

Cheers:)

For mov,awarded Onkyo 6o6 is best with all lattest HD audeo codecs(HD master & others)So also futureproof for Blueray.
It can upscale video to 1080i(faurdouja processer )
check whathifi reviews

If you have enough ventilation and efficient speakers (8 ohms) then I would go with Onkyo as it has pretty good feature set.

HK is decent but Onkyo is a leader in keeping upto date technologies even in low/mid end systems. One issue is that they generate lot of heat including their high end brand (Integra).

Onkyo all the way. Coincidentally, just yesterday I went shopping with my cousin who wanted to pick up a HT system and we did a demo of HK 247, which while it did sound very good, but at 35K did not justify its price tag. We came home and watched The Transformers on my entry level Onkyo HT3100 and it really blew all my cousins away who could not believe the Onkyo (costing 19K in its entirety) was delivering such incredible performance compared to a HK AVR which alone was costing 35K. I am not even going to mention the JBL speakers pegged at Rs. 1.5 lacs...

Onkyo is much better and great VFM.

Re: Onkyo 606 HDMI upscaling . . . HDMI i

Hi!

Thanks for your inputs, appreciate it. There seems to be one issue, the 606 upscales only HDMI i not p from other non HDMI sources like Satellite TV, Cable, etc. however, the HK 255 upscales to HDMI p. . . I checked the 705 it is not clear on the site about whether it upscales to i or p. Can some of you please help me with this? If I am investing in a AV receiver which I believe will last me at least 3 years from now, it has to be reasonably future proof (I know it is Blue Ray ready etc. but upscaling TV inputs is imp too. . . appreciate some words of advice here. Thanks

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back