Harmon Kardon 3490

Nikhil

Staff member
Hi Folks,

I am looking around for a decent integrated stereo receiver. Would like to have an opinion on Harmon Kardon's offerings from all on here. I've looked up specs of 3490, 3390, 3480 and 3380 at the HK website and they seem to be capable of handling all that I need.

Would be interested in a comparison with Onkyo or NAD if someone can offer an opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
3490 looks excellent. Reviews on amazon are good as well. Seems it can also be used as amplifier only if the receiver has a pre-amp out.

Are these 3490 and 3390 available in India as yet?
Does any one has an experience of running a US model (110V) amp or a receiver in India?

regards

HK amps have a powerful, beefy sound. Great for rock and hard-hitting music and anything which has rhythm and timing. If you pair them with neutral to warm sounding speakers, you should get good performance for most music genres except only vocals or performances with a lot of midrange detail. It's a great entry-level amplifier but take care not to match it with bright components.

Haven't used NADs so can't comment.

anm, we have a HK showroom here in Hyderabad and I assumed they would have them. Will have to check. I did preview their amps but I can't recall which ones right now. About running US voltage amps here the best is to get a solid step down transformer made from a good electronics shop. Don't go by the ready made transformers as they tend to be pretty weak. You will also need flat pin adapters.

ajinkya, I have looked at the Mission M35i and M66i. I liked the 35i which sound like they are about right for the price (approx Rs 44K). The 66i were at Rs 66k but really did not make that much more of an impression. I already have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.5s which are quite nice but I want to take something a step up this time.

Also heard a pair of Monitor Audios which were quite disappointing. A pair of Quad 22Ls were very nice but I'm not looking to spend that much at this time.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that HK are very musical and warm, so they can be perfectly clubbed with Klipsch. I am looking at RF82 and waiting for a demo. Any recommendations or best price for them in NCR?

regards

HK amps have a powerful, beefy sound. Great for rock and hard-hitting music and anything which has rhythm and timing. If you pair them with neutral to warm sounding speakers, you should get good performance for most music genres except only vocals or performances with a lot of midrange detail. It's a great entry-level amplifier but take care not to match it with bright components.

Haven't used NADs so can't comment.

Colud you please mention the location of HK Showroom in Hyderabad.

Sameer the HK showroom I saw was at the Prasad's IMAX complex. Its on the second floor on the right side wing facing the road. The staff are not very knowledgeable but they do have a reasonable range on display. The were very pleasant enough and obliged with my requests for different speakers setups etc.

Last edited:
hi
i've owned the hk3480 and now the nadc272. the nad is much more musical than the hk. parts of the hk are extremely good. but parts of them are horrible. the hk is on the brighter side, the nad being warmer. i havent heard the klipsch but i understand that theyre on the brighter side too. i would suggest go for the nad

how much did it cost, and where would it be available in Delhi?
3490 is listed for $305 on amazon - so I guess it should be around INR30k when launched in India.

regards

hi
i've owned the hk3480 and now the nadc272. the nad is much more musical than the hk. parts of the hk are extremely good. but parts of them are horrible. the hk is on the brighter side, the nad being warmer. i havent heard the klipsch but i understand that theyre on the brighter side too. i would suggest go for the nad

how much did it cost, and where would it be available in Delhi?
3490 is listed for $305 on amazon - so I guess it should be around INR30k when launched in India.

regards

i live in south africa where i bought it. i assume thats what the hk would cost in india. from what i understand the hk3480 was selling for about 25k rupees. i know hk's importer is in mumbai (if you go to their website or the website for jbl you'll get the details). give them a call and they'll help you

hi

Thanks afj. Will keep that in mind.

Folks, after much typing and asking, I bought the HK 3490 (3480 does not have Optical in, hence just pay more and get the 90). Here is my take, first figure out how much you can afford, that is a much more pragmatic driver of decisions - HK 3490 comes at 30k all incl in India, Salil Enterprises are the distributers. I have paired them with JBL ES 80 series stand alone speakers.

I listen to Shakti, Deep Purple, Carnatic, Celtic, Joan Baez, Suzanne Vega, Rush, Grateful Dead and the likes including western classical. So far, I have heard or I believe I have heard every instrument and intonation, and I love it, period.

End of the day, the machine should match your capability to discern, that is the point of inflexion where you close the decision making exercise.

Cheers:)

the hk 3490 is a stereo receiver. which means that it is a stereo integrated amp with an inbuilt tuner for radio

The JBL ES 80 I got from the US, they are around $600 each I think. . . in addition I also got the SCS 500.5 which I am now hunting for a Receiver to match:) All folks have advised Onkyo, hence I guess I will submit to their wise counsel. . .

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back