Has anyone tried connecting 4ohm speakers to 6ohm rated AVR?

john_k_antony

Hi,

I am considering hooking up the following THX speaker system - Jamo : D 500 to my Denon 2310 AVR. The front LCR speakers are 4ohm rated and minimum impedance supported by 2310 is 6ohms. I am worried that if I connect 4ohm speakers to 2310, the AVR might drip when I crank up the volume.

Any way Cinebels in Bangalore was generous enough to offer an audition of Jamo D500 with my 2310 AVR at one of their showrooms in Bangalore.

Before I try that, I would like to get your opinion on trying this combo. The main reason for me to go for Jamo D500 is that they are wall hung speakers and I need wall hung speakers for my home theater room. I dont need floor standers for my front speakers. The reason being I already planning for big floor standers for my dedicated 2ch stereo setup in the same home theater room.

-John.

It only means the amp will have a tough time driving the speakers. Nothing beyond that, like a damage to the amp or the speakers. Expect bad sound at worst.

I have done it in past. No issues as long as the volume is in reasonable level. Very high volume may cause the AVR to get hot and go into auto protection mode (it actually never happened in my case despite continuous 3 hours of use also even though the volume was going to very high level itermittently)

No issues at all!
I am driving the Wharf Moviestar 70+ (also rated at 4 ohms) with a far less powerful Pioneer 519 AVR. Yours is 2310 .... you may also crank up to your high levels without any scare.

I would not suggest driving 4 ohm speakers with AVRs that are rated for 6. Impedance matching is one of the key criteria during system setup as there is a possibility of your AVR heating up depending on how you drive the speakers. THis is because the speakers will make the receivers draw 150% of the current than what it is intended for.

Apart from this, you will lose out on the dynamics, soundstage and separation when you drive the speakers in this fashion.

Do you get d7 in India? The only options given to me were D500 and D600. D600 being too expensive, I dropped it.

-John.

John,

Now that I have 4ohm EPOS speakers and same AVR has yours, you can trust me on my views.

As people said if you are volumes levels are at normal level and they fact you will drive LFE spectrum with a subwoofer.

It may work well, but for proper matching and good dynamics. You need comparable AVR Receiver.

You need to look at impedance curve to see how far they go down on what frequencies.
Epos M16i loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

As you can see my floor stander will stay at 6ohms upto 100hz. its good enough indication to see where my crossover should be

Epos M16i loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

D500 being THX Certified, they have got tremendous review. In my case I did not realize what Denon is capable of, unless I gave them the speakers they love mating to.

Please also get D500 impedance curve measurements.

so I suggest be open minded and demo it with Denon, Yamaha Avent series (if you can) and Pioneer new models that can drive 4ohms.

Chose the combo you like the most.

Thanks
Venkat

Ah I see. What is your budget?

1.5-2L for 5.1 speaker setup.

I may not go 7.1 now as lots of people discouraged me from setting up the 7.1 as the 7.1 BluRay contents are rare. I will wire for 7.1, but only connect 5.1 for now.

And I dont need any FS and my room size is 24x15.7x10

-John.

I checked the specs of Yamaha AVENTAGE series AVR. They only allow 4Ohm speakers for fronts only. Not for center. Jamo D500 has both fronts and center rated at 4ohms!.

Lemme check on Pioneer AVRs

-John.

Since we have matching receiver, do you want to try Paradigm studio range or Paradigm Monitor7 11 tower with Center3

In my view it seem to match Denon pretty well.

You can plan listen at my place as stay close HTStore. While some people(mpw) prefer paradigm monitor 6 manufactured in Canada over monitor7 series from China.

I find Mini monitor to be smooth, I haven't heard 7 and 11 yet. Certainly I can vouch for Velodyne EQ max series.

Two guys I know deal with these brands in Bangalore

Home Theater Bangalore
www.HTStore.in

packages home theater system - Here's package price. In my view its a deadly combination.

The proof in the pudding, usually my wife complains that she gets headache or too loud.

When I configured paradigm manually using iPAD sound meter to reference level of 75db. She is loving it and to my surprise she watched three movies at a stretch:clapping:.

Thanks
Venkat

Hi,

I have reworked my options.

I am planning to try a THX Onkyo Amp - TX NR709, rated for 4ohm speakers and Jamo THX D600 (not D500) LCR + Surrounds + 2 Polk DSW 660 subs to make a 5.2 system. The whole setup will cost around 3L. I am letting go of the D600 Sub as its more expensive than 2 Polk DSW 660 Subs.

-John.

Hey Core,

Thanks dude. I just heard dsw660 couple of times at ProFx Bangalore. Sounded okay. But I really never had a chance to listen to D600 sub or any other better ones yet.

What do you think of Velodyne EQ-Max15?

-John.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back