Hathway SD Box Issue - Only BW pic

marsilians

While trying to help a friend of mine, I have run into trouble getting only black and white picture on a Samsung LED TV.

Specifically, I am having problems getting colour picture with an Hathway SD box via composite video (yellow) cable. I have checked the connections and they are fine. For the record the audio is also fine.

Interestingly if I connect a Nintendo Wii via composite, i do get colour picutre. So this precludes the TV as the problem. I also took the TV to another place and tested with InDigital box and again no colour.

Also USB, DVI and HDMI are fine. Its just the specific case of Composite with SD box that is causing the problem. FYI, the TV is Samsung LED from US (Model T27A300).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Is it time to call Samsung customer support??? Also wondering what type of support will be provided since the unit was bought in US.

While trying to help a friend of mine, I have run into trouble getting only black and white picture on a Samsung LED TV.

Specifically, I am having problems getting colour picture with an Hathway SD box via composite video (yellow) cable. I have checked the connections and they are fine. For the record the audio is also fine.

Interestingly if I connect a Nintendo Wii via composite, i do get colour picutre. So this precludes the TV as the problem. I also took the TV to another place and tested with InDigital box and again no colour.

Also USB, DVI and HDMI are fine. Its just the specific case of Composite with SD box that is causing the problem. FYI, the TV is Samsung LED from US (Model T27A300).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Could the problem be with the Hathaway SD box? Why not try it with another TV.

Could the problem be with the Hathaway SD box? Why not try it with another TV.

I definitely think its the STB since the Wii plays fine with the same type of connections. I am not sure what settings to try with the box. Another outside chance could be the composite video cable itself. There are no other settings on the TV that I can see that will manage this connection.

Most probably the B&W picture is because you are playing PAL on an NTSC TV.

Easiest way to verify is if you try the same set top box with a PAL TV.

Wii may be having the ability to play in both formats. I think I have a US Wii myself.

There are PAL -> NTSC converters.

Quick update on the original issue. It turned out to be a NTSC vs. PAL issue. Couple solutions that worked were a stand alone NTSC/PAL converter as well as a receiver capable of video conversion.

My friend has both solutions implementated in his house. The cost of the NTSC/PAL converter picked up from SJ road was Rs. 5500. This has composite and HDMI inputs and only HDMI output. Also it supports multichannel audio via COAX and RCA for stereo. Overall a good buy.

Back