HD Ready Or Full HD .... Confused.... Pl Help

Dushie you may be surprised to learn that the technology is terms of scaling to 2160p is already available with the technology companies.
Cheers

Hmm I doubt if pimple cream technology will keep up with these latest and greatest hi-res modes ... Many ladies might prefer being seen in low-res :D

Cheers

Hi,
After reading all the articles from Cnet as said in my previous post, I am somehow tilted to opt for (42" Plasma 720p + Oppo 981H-Sourced from US at @229$).

Excellent choice and you will not go wrong with the selection at all. I own a 720P samsung monitor though 50in and can tell you that apart from a properly tuned 1080P with blu-ray (expensive and not necessarily a mass market product and support yet), my TV shows excellent video. Standard dvd movies also look gorgeous and I would be very crestfallen the day my tv dies permanently.

I am also glad you are not falling for the fullHD hype that salesmen throw at us all the time.

Hi,

Need advise here if there is not much difference in price between HD ready and Full HD 40 inch (as I plan to buy it overseas) would the forum member's recommend to buy a Full HD or still stick with HD ready. Basic usage will be for Standard broadcast, high defination boradcast (as I am overseas) and DVD.

Thanks

Spiderman

Need advise here if there is not much difference in price between HD ready and Full HD 40 inch (as I plan to buy it overseas) would the forum member's recommend to buy a Full HD or still stick with HD ready. Basic usage will be for Standard broadcast, high defination boradcast (as I am overseas) and DVD.

I have already answered this in my post #19 above. Of course, there are different opinions, but that is the beauty if this forum. I strongly feel if the difference is not much, you should go for a FullHD.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks

Spiderman

Really spidey, why would you want to go for HD Ready if you can get Full HD for the same cost. Agreed there is no much perceivable difference between Full HD and HD Ready till 42" but even then I (as have most others) gone the HD Ready route since there is a lot of price difference between the both. I (as others I am sure) would have gone for Full HD if it cost the same as HD Ready. Heck if prices were same or at least in the nearby range I would go for the Sony X series LCD TV and not the Panasonic Plasma I went for. Really no brainer option this one, Full HD all the way dude if it costs the same.

Really spidey, why would you want to go for HD Ready if you can get Full HD for the same cost. Agreed there is no much perceivable difference between Full HD and HD Ready till 42" but even then I (as have most others) gone the HD Ready route since there is a lot of price difference between the both. I (as others I am sure) would have gone for Full HD if it cost the same as HD Ready. Heck if prices were same or at least in the nearby range I would go for the Sony X series LCD TV and not the Panasonic Plasma I went for. Really no brainer option this one, Full HD all the way dude if it costs the same.

Thanks Mate for the advice.

Since I recollect reading somewhere that for standard cable broadcast HD ready is a better bet then Full HD hence the question and concern. Although I do get 3 HD channels here like National Geographic, & Discovery but the content is limited and not all programs in those channels are HD. Hence mostly I will be watching standard broadcast quality programmes & a few DVD's.

Spidey

Thanks Mate for the advice.

Since I recollect reading somewhere that for standard cable broadcast HD ready is a better bet then Full HD hence the question and concern. Although I do get 3 HD channels here like National Geographic, & Discovery but the content is limited and not all programs in those channels are HD. Hence mostly I will be watching standard broadcast quality programmes & a few DVD's.

Spidey

Agreed that might be an issue, but you will feel more bad later on when you feel you have settled for HD Ready for the cost of a Full HD. With the way prices are coming down, Full HD is/will be available for the cost of a HD Ready TV. If anything prices are 1/3rd of what they were a year or so ago. My uncle paid nearly 5 lacs for a 52" inch TV a couple of years ago. Right now I have comes across only one Plasma TV (I think 70" but I might be wrong) which is costing 6 lacs. Nothing else in that price range.

Since I recollect reading somewhere that for standard cable broadcast HD ready is a better bet then Full HD hence the question and concern. Spidey

Irrespective of what you see and in whatever resolution, a FullHD is superior to HD Ready in terms of technology. It has more pixels for the same size so blurring will be less. It also has advanced electronics to handle 1080P signals. Even if you are watching just 480P or 720P, a FullHD will render the images better.

Now one could argue that HD Ready is better in terms of VFM. That you cannot differentiate between a HD Ready and FullHD for 720P, there is no content available, and all that. I agree to all this.

But technology wise, an HD Ready TV can never beat a Full HD.

Cheers

The critical factor here is your plan to get a Blu-Ray player. If you have firmed up on that, you must get a FullHD. All Blu-Ray output is 1920X1080 pixels which only a FullHD TV can handle.

If you are using a TV of size 42 inches or higher, and you play a 1080P signal, you will certainly see a marked difference. Pictures will be sharper, colors will be brighter, blacks will be darker, and contrasts will be very vivid. The best advantage will be smoother motion

Thanks Sandip. I will keep my educational background a secret. :) Any how all these things about TV and resolution are not very difficult to understand. And we are all here to help you.

Sandip, I am out of station till 15th. As soon as I am back I shall contact Madbull and set up a time when we can watch his TV together using my 983.

A year ago I would have said go for Plasma. The biggest advantage Plasma offers is in high speed motion. If you take a set of pixels, since a Plasma screen is made up of charged gas and does not have a physical state, it can change shade and brightness. In particular, what is important is how fast does the pixel goes back to being complete black. This defines how the screen will handle contrasts and motion. In Plasmas, the gas goes back to its natural state that is black literally instantly.

In contrast, a LCD is made of small physical squares (called pixels) that are electronically modulated optical devices. These are monochrome pixels that are filled with liquid crystals. Compared to Plasmas that have a natural state, LCD have no natural state.

There is a light source at the back of the pixels. When you pass a electrical current through these pixels, the liquid crystals re-align themselves is various degrees (called twisting) allowing shades of light to pass through. The maximum current makes the crystals align themselves in such a way that there is no twisting at all, and no light passes through. You get complete black color.

To get different shades of gray, you vary the voltage of the current that pass through the pixels.

The most important time for an LCD is what is called Response Time. This is the minimum time need by each pixel to change it's color and brightness. This is measured as BTB (Black to Black) and GTG (Gray To Gray). The issue is that since each pixel has a physical state, it does have a response time as compared to Plasmas that have literally nil response time. In LCDs you have to pass a current even to get black. In plasmas, you just allow the gas to go back to its natural state.

Imagine a scene where there is a black screen across which you are moving your hand. When part of your hand reaches a particular pixel, the color and brightness of that pixel changes to display your hand color and texture. As you hand moves away from that pixel, it is supposed to become black instantly. In LCDs, the pixels do not do that. So fast movement will leave a ghostly trail of colors and brightness.

Now we are talking about very small periods of times - mostly in millisecond which is one millionth of second. But in fast motion this time is enough to make you see the blurs, particularly if the pixels are large in size (measured by resolution, or number of pixels per square inch) and you sit near the TV.

A couple of years ago, LCD's had response time in the 20s and 30ms. Current crop of LCD measure response time between 4 to 10 ms.

If you get an LCD that has a response time of 5ms or less, it will deliver good picture quality - very very close to a plasma. Of course the more the pixels the better it is. FullHD LCDs have over 2 million pixles, thus reducing blurring to a large extent.

Cheers

Dear Venkat,

Your summing up on various aspects of LCD vs Plasma is excellent. In fact I am going to keep it as a reference. I would like to point out one small mistake in your write up. One milli second is one thousandth of a second and not one millionth.

P. N. Reddy

lets be practical here. all we will watch on our full hd or hd ready tv sets are dvd quality signals, except for some people who can buy blu ray discs or get hold of high def content.

so, for dvd quality pics, i dont think hd ready or full hd will make "that much" of a "noticeable" difference in quality.

lets be practical here. all we will watch on our full hd or hd ready tv sets are dvd quality signals, except for some people who can buy blu ray discs or get hold of high def content.

so, for dvd quality pics, i dont think hd ready or full hd will make "that much" of a "noticeable" difference in quality.

Agree with you here totally. I invested in a Panasonic 29" CRT TV for my bedroom that cost me 9K U/E for my old Akai 29" and the PQ in this is stunning to say the least for DVDs, Divx rips, TV, etc. so much so that it's my primary TV now and I stay put and watch TV and movies in my bedroom itself. Even PS3 games are great on it. HD Ready and Full HD make sense/are worth investing in only when most if not all of our content is in HD, which even I have to admit I have very little of.

Well i have around 150 movies on mkv format, they look stunning when i play them on my plasma,

Your summing up on various aspects of LCD vs Plasma is excellent. In fact I am going to keep it as a reference. I would like to point out one small mistake in your write up. One milli second is one thousandth of a second and not one millionth.

P. N. Reddy

Thank you Reddy. And you are correct. I shall be careful in the future.

Cheers

I continued my search for reducing my confusion regarding HD Ready Or Full HD and found more information. Hope the members find it usefull
Chart: 1080P Does Matter - CarltonBale.com
1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) CarltonBale.com
After lot of thinking went to Reliance Digital/Chroma for final decision. There I compared Samsung 5 series LCD/Samsung 4 series Plasma (410 & 450)/Panasonic PV8 and PV80/Sony W series LCD. To my eyes Sony W series looked best among all above in 40"/42" size. So became more confused as had no chance to see Sony X series. Sony X series are very highly priced now. Then a thought came to my mind why not go for a 29" CRT say for a period of 1-2 year & purchase the Full HD LCD/PLASMA/LED LCD 42" or even bigger size later. CRT can always put in bed room. Hence started searching for 29" CRT. I came to know @ the Philips 29PT8836 model & learned our forum member Ishwar had the same. Ishwar informed me that Sumaria Mumbai had them before. I enquired with Sumaria Chembur Mumbai and they had one demo piece available(The price quoted 14K with One year warranty with exchange of my old AKAI 2167P Model). After negotiations Sumaria did not reduce the price but offered without exchange. I watched the Philips set for 2 hrs in store and found no flaws. Bought at home today and is on since 4 PM. I found one customer for my old TV today for 1K.So the net price is 13K. The picture is absolute stunning and worth the risk of 13K.
I agree it will have more sense in waiting for prices to fall further. Someday we may get Full HD Sony X Series 40" for much below than present price of 153K. Or may be new technologies emerge and reduce the pricing of present 50" FULL HD High End PLASMA/LCD. Thank you very much members for your help in guiding me.
Warm Regards:)

Last edited:
sony quietly launches the new W450A series with 100hz and the sony Z series with 200hz motionflow sadly is more expensive then the mighty X series.

I came to know @ the Philips 29PT8836 model

It only has component-in right? So you cannot upscale ordinary DVD videos when viewing on this TV. Correct? Unless you get a player like Oppo that upscales via Component?

TIA
Regards

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back