HD ready vs full HD - plasma dilemma

1080p only makes sense if you have the content................if you regularly watch bluray then might make sense. For all others who depend on cable for HD, 720p is more than sufficient.

I'd disagree with this. Our HD cable channels are 1080i, which on 1080p display will be displayed with full HD resolution after de-interlacing. So 1080i content is effectively 1080p content on a 1080p display.

I'd disagree with this. Our HD cable channels are 1080i, which on 1080p display will be displayed with full HD resolution after de-interlacing. So 1080i content is effectively 1080p content on a 1080p display.

The is is BIG difference in true 1080p and 1080i even after it is upscaled to the tv's native resolution. It can never be the same. Watch an bluray movie and compare.............you will see the difference yourself.

There is not much difference in 720p/1080i but a huge difference in 1080p. Sometimes even 1080i on MOVIES NOW or STAR MOVIES look so bad compared to true 720p!!! It all depends on the source material. 720p/1080i can NEVER look like 1080p regardless of any upscaling/de-interlacing, etc.

The is is BIG difference in true 1080p and 1080i even after it is upscaled to the tv's native resolution. It can never be the same. Watch an bluray movie and compare.............you will see the difference yourself.

There is not much difference in 720p/1080i but a huge difference in 1080p. Sometimes even 1080i on MOVIES NOW or STAR MOVIES look so bad compared to true 720p!!! It all depends on the source material. 720p/1080i can NEVER look like 1080p regardless of any upscaling/de-interlacing, etc.

I can google some explanations, here are few:

1080i vs 720p - AfterDawn: Forums

High Definition 1080p TV: Why You Should Be Concerned

In summary For film/movie sources (and maybe soaps/non-live shows?), 1080i transmission is equivalent to 1080p transmission on a 1080p display. Sports/live action is different story though.

While techncally above is correct, but you also partly right as far as TataSky is concerned. I can't make what the heck Tata Sky is transmitting on its HD channels. 720p or 1080i look same on it regardless. Either the quality is so bad that 720 or 1080 makes no difference or my eyes can't make out.

1080p only makes sense if you have the content................if you regularly watch bluray then might make sense. For all others who depend on cable for HD, 720p is more than sufficient.

I narrate my experience which is different. I was used to watching IPL on my Pana X30. I had recently visited one of our forum members (Sajjad4joy) where we were to do a DAC comparison.

He has a Samsung 65" FHD TV. I understand that it is a bigger screen but the resolution levels were jaw dropping. Be it the spectators or the pitch; the details are so vividly displayed that I immediately understood what a FHD TV dishes out.

I really don't understand difference in HD ready n FULL HD.But one thing I learn from this thread n i.e. Pana X30 have problem with HDMI output.So it means that if I watch movie using pen drive or HDD it will be a better option to enjoy,am i right? Correcty me if i'm wrong cause I have finalized(not bought yet) panasonic TH-P42X30D just bcoz of non availability of 'only full HD'(without 3D) model.

I narrate my experience which is different. I was used to watching IPL on my Pana X30. I had recently visited one of our forum members (Sajjad4joy) where we were to do a DAC comparison.

He has a Samsung 65" FHD TV. I understand that it is a bigger screen but the resolution levels were jaw dropping. Be it the spectators or the pitch; the details are so vividly displayed that I immediately understood what a FHD TV dishes out.

FHD is FHD and HD is HD.. :D

I really don't understand difference in HD ready n FULL HD.But one thing I learn from this thread n i.e. Pana X30 have problem with HDMI output.So it means that if I watch movie using pen drive or HDD it will be a better option to enjoy,am i right? Correcty me if i'm wrong cause I have finalized(not bought yet) panasonic TH-P42X30D just bcoz of non availability of 'only full HD'(without 3D) model.

Panasonic X30 is a good entry level plasma...........have you also looked at the 2012 line up of Samsung Plasma's? Panasonic make the best plasma's in higher price range with neop pdp + infinite black pro panels, nothing to beat that. But I feel Samsung scores over Panasonic in the entry level category. If you have not purchased it yet, also have a look at Samsung.

Has anyone viewed the new LG 50PA6500 Plasma. Online reviews suggest LG have improved the black levels significantly.

Hi Dear,

Still PA6500 not available with dealer but i have checked PA4520 & found very big improvement in LG Plasma nice slim line looks with narrow bezel frame great vivid color, good contrast and brightness. I'm also waiting for PA6500 & PM4700 3D model.

Panasonic X30 is a good entry level plasma...........have you also looked at the 2012 line up of Samsung Plasma's? Panasonic make the best plasma's in higher price range with neop pdp + infinite black pro panels, nothing to beat that. But I feel Samsung scores over Panasonic in the entry level category. If you have not purchased it yet, also have a look at Samsung.

It is very sad to say that Panasonic does not make HD + neoplasma + infinite black panel + non 3D tv. It will be the perfect configuration to me because FHD does not make any sense if user watch this TV by any regular or even HD broadcast/dth and the use of 3D is limited at least for another 5 years. Neoplasma comes with FHD and 3D which make this TV very costly .

Any comment!!!!

It is very sad to say that Panasonic does not make HD + neoplasma + infinite black panel + non 3D tv. It will be the perfect configuration to me because FHD does not make any sense if user watch this TV by any regular or even HD broadcast/dth and the use of 3D is limited at least for another 5 years. Neoplasma comes with FHD and 3D which make this TV very costly .

Any comment!!!!

Panasonic may launch a P50U50 in India.

Hi Dear,

Still PA6500 not available with dealer but i have checked PA4520 & found very big improvement in LG Plasma nice slim line looks with narrow bezel frame great vivid color, good contrast and brightness. I'm also waiting for PA6500 & PM4700 3D model.

Thanks, do post your thoughts if you get to see 50PA6500 or even 60PA6500

Thanks, do post your thoughts if you get to see 50PA6500 or even 60PA6500

I saw 50PA6500 and it looked pretty decent to me. FHD, no 3D, no Smart TV so perfect for someone who wants TV for TV....

MRP is 75k - being sold for 70k approx.

Any other reviews?

Panasonic has launched X50 and XT50.........both excellent entry level plasma's with an upgraded brighter panel. Being brighter, the new panel will look even better than UT30. Suggest to go have a look and then decide.
Earlier Panasonic did not really have a good entry level Plasma but things have now changed with X50 and XT50.

Panasonic has launched X50 and XT50.........both excellent entry level plasma's with an upgraded brighter panel. Being brighter, the new panel will look even better than UT30. Suggest to go have a look and then decide.
Earlier Panasonic did not really have a good entry level Plasma but things have now changed with X50 and XT50.

For 50" with all cable/ Tata Sky viewing from 10-14ft, do you suggest HD (Samsung E470, X50, XT50) for 55-60K or pay 15-20k etc going for FHD (UT50, E550 etc) + smart (not really reqd) + 3d (almost 0 content)? The only 50" FHD option within 60K I am getting is LG PA6500 (2012 model) because of company discount (being sold at retailers for 70k and I will get it at 56k) - I saw it yesterday and looked decent, could not compare it with Sammy or Panny but worried about overall reputation of LG in plasmas.

Last edited:
For 50" with all cable/ Tata Sky viewing from 10-14ft, do you suggest HD (Samsung E470, X50, XT50) for 55-60K or pay 15-20k etc going for FHD (UT50, E550 etc) + smart (not really reqd) + 3d (almost 0 content)? The only 50" FHD option within 60K I am getting is LG PA6500 (2012 model) because of company discount (being sold at retailers for 70k and I will get it at 56k) - I saw it yesterday and looked decent, could not compare it with Sammy or Panny but worried about overall reputation of LG in plasmas.
Any HD DTH/Cable will be 1080i. So HD or FHD will not make much difference. FHD will make a difference only when watching FHD source such as blu-ray. It is extremely unlikely that DTH/Cable will broadcast in 1080p any time soon because bandwidth requirement is almost double.

Then again, at a distance of 10-14 ft, the difference between HD and FHD will not be that apparent - almost 50% of the people cannot tell any difference.

Smart TV, web browsing, skype, You Tube, etc. are all useless features in my humble opinion. You will hardly use them after a month or so. There features may also require add-on peripherals such as Keyboard, wi-fi dongle (unless built-in), camera, etc. One must focus on the main specs: picture quality, colour reproduction, black levels, absolute or native contrast, etc.

Having said that, owning a FHD model is a peace of mind. But if you are sure that you will never watch blu-ray or full-HD BD rips, then there is no point spending the extra money. The XT50 (3D) or X50 (non-3D) should do just fine. With the money saved, you can even buy extra pair of 3D glasses. But as you said, you will get company discount on LG and that is a real deal clincher. Not many buy LG plasmas but they should be OK.

Any HD DTH/Cable will be 1080i. So HD or FHD will not make much difference. FHD will make a difference only when watching FHD source such as blu-ray. It is extremely unlikely that DTH/Cable will broadcast in 1080p any time soon because bandwidth requirement is almost double.

Then again, at a distance of 10-14 ft, the difference between HD and FHD will not be that apparent - almost 50% of the people cannot tell any difference.

Smart TV, web browsing, skype, You Tube, etc. are all useless features in my humble opinion. You will hardly use them after a month or so. There features may also require add-on peripherals such as Keyboard, wi-fi dongle (unless built-in), camera, etc. One must focus on the main specs: picture quality, colour reproduction, black levels, absolute or native contrast, etc.

Having said that, owning a FHD model is a peace of mind. But if you are sure that you will never watch blu-ray or full-HD BD rips, then there is no point spending the extra money. The XT50 (3D) or X50 (non-3D) should do just fine. With the money saved, you can even buy extra pair of 3D glasses. But as you said, you will get company discount on LG and that is a real deal clincher. Not many buy LG plasmas but they should be OK.

Thanks a ton for such a practical and useful advice... I know its difficult for someone to point out a single choice but you pretty much covered everything in the right manner !

I did go to few more shops today and could compare HD with FHD on 42" LG plasmas and few LEDs for both HD & SD Channels, my observation is you can see the minute difference if you really push yourself and picture FHD looks little refined. However I would not really advice someone going for FHD on a 42" and pay extra 8-10K for that (19/20 ka difference types).

Having said that, salesmen there + few friends on this forum have suggested that if one is buying a 50"+, One should go for FHD as the difference would be more (perhaps 15/20 ka difference) if you can spend extra bucks.

I am still deciding on this and will appreciate views...

More on my search & comparison of Plasmas around...

Again saw 42XT50 and think its good (I am yet to see the 50" version) - colors, blacks, PQ all looked good (not awesome I must say), no bright light in background and placed well to avoid any reflection so good view... saw 42X50 yesterday in another store and it was looking nice as well. Only difference is 3D as we know...

Saw LG 50PA6500 yesterday (FHD, no smart TV, no 3D) as I mentioned earlier that is being quoted for 67-70k (MRP 75K and I will get it for 56K) and it looked decent as well (PQ, Color etc). It was placed high on the wall and I could see some reflection of bright lights of showroom but the same is more or less the case with Panasonic X series (perhaps little less). Since I could not see them together so cannot really compare which one is better but just might give Panny the edge (probably because its in my head now that they make better plasmas) ;)

Another 2012 LG model LG50PA4520 is HD Ready and it looked nice as well (saw the 42" in showroom), MRP is 66K and I will probably get it at 50k.

LG comes with 1 year warranty but also gives ext warranty for 2 more years for approx 10k which I should definitely take sometime in 1st year. Samsung is not offering any extended warranty so not considering them...

So here is the line-up for me.

Low range (all HD Ready)...

Panasonic - 50X50 (60K) & 50XT50 (62-63K) (Contrast 3,500,000:1 Native)
LG - 50PA4520 (60K) including 10K for 2 yrs ext wrnty

Mid-range (all FHD )...

Panasonic 50UT50 (76K-85k range) with FHD, 3D, Wifi ready, 2500 Hz (Contrast - 4,000,000:1 Native)
LG - 50PA6500 (65-66K) with FHD including 10k for ext wrnty
and Contrast Ratio 3,000,000:1

Is it worth going for LG FHD TV for 5-6k more than Panasonic 50X/XT50 - it is definitely in my budget but LG for plasmas is okay?

And if I go 10-15k further (so 15-18k more than X/XT50), get UT50 which is probably the best plasma here but for a price... worth it?

I would like to have your suggestions and recommendations to make this final decision.

Thanks again...

I would like to add to that and suggest that you go for the lg model with extended warranty as technology will change quite fast and for mainly watching Tata Sky from 10-14ft you will not miss the FHD.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back