Hd800s and Primaluna evo 100 Integrated

chenZi

I am getting a decent deal on a brand new Sennheiser HD800S ($1300) and a Primaluna Evo 100 integrated amp (1500ish all ca$h for a 5 month demo piece with same factory warranty / 1700ish for new one) from
two different places.

Please let me know any feedback on pairing these two. I tried evo 100 with Audeze LCD-3 at the dealer and had quite positive experience.
I am planning to move to India in couple of years and worried if I would be able to service / repair Evo 100 in India. The dealer can give me a pretty good ca$h deal on Chord Hugo2 / Parasound amps / NAD etc if I would like to choose them over Evo100. He is a trusted dealer from whom I have been shopping for last 4 years and his price has always been quite unmatched for ca$h offers.

I have LS50W now, Evo 100 gives me an option to add another set of speakers when I upgrade.

I have tried an assortment of headphones, including the HD 800 S, with DiaLogue Premium HP; one of their discontinued models. Even though you might find yourself cranking up the volume pot, I remember they sounded fascinating together. If you can find them, this one's a good integrated.

I am not familiar with their new EVO series. However, it is safe to assume that they would have certainly improved upon the DiaLogue line.

See if you can find/listen to Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III (or even their hybrid Sphinx V3). These have surprisingly good built-in headphone amp sections; with the Chronus having a better implementation than Sphinx. Should be priced around your budget, and shall serve you well as an integrated amplifier for future upgrades.

Good luck.

Thank you. A question on power -
Would a simple step up transformer be able to handle the power & voltage conversion between India and US?
Would like to know how other folks who bought equipment in US handled them in India-
I have 10+ sonos speakers, (& sound bar and subwoofer) around my home, LS50Ws, Sony 4k projector ($5k), LazyBoy powered recliners for movie room and for living room ($8k) etc - would I need to get transformers for each of these equipments. I wouldn’t want to sell these in US since I would lose good chunk of money and all these equipments are < 3 years old and would like to bring them back to India ideally.

Would a simple step up transformer be able to handle the power & voltage conversion between India and US?
You can read up on their possible/theoretical influence on impedance, and hence dynamics/LF, etc.
Shouldn't be a problem as long as the transformer is large enough; get the biggest you can afford.

would I need to get transformers for each of these equipments.
Most of the modern electronics equipment should have universal voltage compatibility in general.
Talk to an electrician if they are all strictly at 120V/50Hz, and you want them to work in 230V/60Hz.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back