HDD Live Media Player Suggestions with 5.1 Analog Out

sCythE roXx

Hi All

I have looked in the forum and on internet but could not find a player that gives a 5.1 analog out. I don't have an amp and the speakers I have directly take analog in (a bit primitive - they don't have any optical in. I do have aux in them but that will not give me true 5.1 sound.)

I am currently not planning to upgrade the speaker system but was looking for Media Player (HDD & Live) that may give 5.1 analog out. Any suggestions?

If nothing out is there I perhaps will have to wait to upgrade my home theater and manage with only aux (i.e. 2.1 to 5.1 conversion). (Xtreamer and WD Live Hub seem to be best choices - based on this forum and elsewhere)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Budget ~ 10K

PS: The best thing that will ever suit my media needs looks like to be xtreamer pro in the longer run

None of the current media players have 5.1 analog out. But you can buy a 5.1 decoder for around 4k. Please visit digitalbay.co.in to buy. For media players read other threads.

If I am correct, you have a basic 5.1 speakers with analogue 5.1 in the subwoofer, which you want to use with the media player.

Unfortunately at the budget mentioned, you will not find any model with analogue 5.1 in. If your current speakers are some el-cheapo brand, you can change in the same price bracket with optical/co-axial in. But optical /co-axial in can not stream HD audio (provided you take a media player that can stream HD audio)

Thanks Baiju & Jeyaraj. This was my worry point. You have cleared that. Now given that I am not currently planning to change my el-cheapo speakers and if I increase the budget to 15k, would a HTPC do the job? (3 stereo audio out to 5.1 RCA out)?

I really need to dig the HTPC forum to find out if there is any cheap config out there which serves my need: 1+ TB HDD, 720p/1080p MKV/AVI/MP4 Player, Youtube

You can assemble an htpc within 15k and use the 5.1 analog out to connect to your speaker system. Also htpc is much better than media players when it comes to playback.

Thanks Baiju & Jeyaraj. This was my worry point. You have cleared that. Now given that I am not currently planning to change my el-cheapo speakers and if I increase the budget to 15k, would a HTPC do the job? (3 stereo audio out to 5.1 RCA out)?

I really need to dig the HTPC forum to find out if there is any cheap config out there which serves my need: 1+ TB HDD, 720p/1080p MKV/AVI/MP4 Player, Youtube

100%. HTPC can do with 3 stereo audio out to 5.1 RCA. I am currently using a similar setup.

See the below product. seems to be good for the people who already have media player and have speaker system/amplifire with analog input.
Ofcourse HTPC is the best solution. but for the people who prefer plug and play this seems a good solution.
Digitalbay| HDMI| HD Media player| HDMI Splitter| Digtal Bay

I was looking for the similar product for my brother. My quest for it ends here. Thanks baijuxavior for posting it.

Fair Point Hemant and thanks for pointing. I had sent a mail to seller. The response was good but the details were not convincing if the soundcard would be actually able to handle all formats. No easy way out I guess then. Will keep looking.

These sound cards are usually for use with computers. Media players won't be able to recognize it. Also such sound cards won't decode all surround formats. You will need software media players like power dvd to decode surround sound.

Eureka Eureka

After spending multiple days with different queries finally found a company that builds it and has nice media players for offering in India.

Check Here: EGREAT

Egreat S7A: Egreat S7A
Egreat S800: Egreat S800 (S7B)

Both are Sigma Chip & have 7.1 analog.

Now I have few questions to the pros here:
- What is the difference between realtek and sigma chips, which is better?
- Has anyone bought them or have experience with any of Egreat players?
- Any suggestions which is better among two or any other player that could do the same?
- Would it be possible to get them at cheaper price. It's more than a basic HTPC currently.

Thanks in advance

Did some more reading, found some good some okay some bad info.

- The processor of S800 is better than S7A. S800 is 7.1 while S7A is 5.1
- The support of the player is like from some garage in china (gave the same feeling of Hi-Media, just that it feels Hi-Media FW release more frequently). People crib in forums with bugs and a new FW comes out. China is an interesting market.
- Still could not find ground breaking info between Sigma & Realtek Chip
- This is the biggest: S800 supports dual OS, which means OS1 runs the OEM FW, while on OS2 people have popcorn c-200 running. I was amazed by this. But still why would someone want two OS on media player if one can do job perfectly
- The youtube review videos on these players show lot of promise though.
- The remotes are back lit, a nice addition IMO

They have similar capabilities of downloading 24x7 torrents, play all movies/formats with built in wifi, output analog speakers for all decoders.

For that price you can assemble a good HTPC. Don't buy these players just for 7.1 or 5.1 analog output. You can buy an entry level media player and an avr like yamaha 371 within 25K. AVR adds support for future devices that you may buy.

Even I was thinking that Baiju. Thanks for the advice.

An AVR setup would also allow my other devices like Xbox 360, TataSky+ HD, etc to output 5.1 sound (currently its just 2.1 to 5.1 upgradation via speaker aux). Spending this much amount just for one experience does not look right. Any website/link you can share which offers Yamaha 371 at a reasonable price. At my relatives place I saw Onkyo being used as an AVR. Is Yamaha the best one out of two?

I did some counting I would require at least 4 HDMI In and perhaps two optical INs.

Media Player - 7k, 2 TB HDD - 4.5k, AVR - 15k? - Total goes to somewhere near 25-30k. (Already up from 10k to 30k :( - Maybe my starting expectation was not right)
And in future I can buy newer speaker system and plug it in. Any suggestions/corrections?

PS: BTW those speakers are gifted ones, perhaps that clears the point that why I did not buy proper HT system earlier myself :( But it looks like a time to upgrade/change them maybe. Any entry level HT which could do all of above in a reasonable price - I am all ears.

You can buy onkyo 3400 which is a full HTIB with avr and speakers. It has 4 hdmi and necessary optical/coaxial inputs. Some of our forum members have bought it for as low as 22K. If you want an avr only, then consider the yamaha 371 (20K). It has 4 hdmi, 2 optical and 2 coaxial. Entry level Denon models have only one optical and coaxial.

As for the budget, that is how we all start. We start at 5K or 10K, search for options which leads to HFV and end up spending 3-4 times our initial budget after spending a few weeks with HFV. I too was searching for a 5.1 decoder which hardly costs 5K but now have ended up in ordering a denon 1612 for 27.5K. Add to that the cost of a good speaker setup (which i will buy only next year), servo stabilizer (I have ordered a vide range 5KVA servo for 16K). Also bought a bluray player (8K), media player (11K) and some bluray discs (6K). I have never spent like this before and I'm virtually bankrupt now.:D

You can buy onkyo 3400 which is a full HTIB with avr and speakers. It has 4 hdmi and necessary optical/coaxial inputs. Some of our forum members have bought it for as low as 22K. If you want an avr only, then consider the yamaha 371 (20K). It has 4 hdmi, 2 optical and 2 coaxial. Entry level Denon models have only one optical and coaxial.

As for the budget, that is how we all start. We start at 5K or 10K, search for options which leads to HFV and end up spending 3-4 times our initial budget after spending a few weeks with HFV. I too was searching for a 5.1 decoder which hardly costs 5K but now have ended up in ordering a denon 1612 for 27.5K. Add to that the cost of a good speaker setup (which i will buy only next year), servo stabilizer (I have ordered a vide range 5KVA servo for 16K). Also bought a bluray player (8K), media player (11K) and some bluray discs (6K). I have never spent like this before and I'm virtually bankrupt now.:D

Very reassuring words Baiju. It feels like I am getting in the same boat. 25K for new HTIB and then 10-11k for a HDD media player. It would probably do justice to my existing equipment and my long term desire of having a true HT setup.

Read the forum on Onkyo 3400 and elsewhere, everyone is heads over heels for them. With that price for 23-25k it looks like a no brainer.

I am waiting for additional cash at end of this month or maybe I will pick something up with EMI, the only thing is that I cannot tell my family what I am trying to do as the 35K spend will then just be shot down :) (Maybe I owe it to myself for the hardwork I put in earning it :D )

Don't tell your family that you spent 35K for a HT. They won't believe it. If you tell it to your friends, they will probably bash you for not taking sony.

Good Idea Baiju. Can you give me one more information, is there a good 7.1 Onkyo or another model which has HTS3400 kind of reviews and is not heavy on pocket. Now if I have to spend money I should also be looking at being future ready :) Or is 7.1 a hyped up thing? My living room is big, 7.1 would fit in easily.

Also suggest a model that has front speakers as towers. My existing setup has towers, it gives a different effect to the room :)

(Where I started and where I am landing...lol.... I have to give it to HFV, the forum is very addictive)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back