HDMI DVD player confusion

Vista

I have Philips DVD player with Specification HDMI 1080i upscaling ,

Would it mean , it will run normal DVD disc in HD . ?
then wats the use of Blu ray movies disc ... even if its slighly better ?

I am getting confused , bcas there must be difference ...
As i am about to get Pv8 very soon , so running Blu ray with PS3 and DVD on my philips , would there be lot of difference.

A DVD disk contains pictures at 480p resolution. So what your philips does is it stretches it to 1080i resolution. The most important word is it Stretches. This ensures that when played in a TV like PV8 the pictures appear smooth and details are good.

Second is, all DVD disk can contain just 8.5 GB (dual layer) data where as Blue Ray can contain 25gb data which means enables storing picture at 1080p and 24 fps which is the native resolution in which the movie is actually shoot. This means blue ray gives you almost 95% effect as what the director wanted you to see.

Also, DVD can take only Dolby and DTS sound but Blue Ray comes with True HD sound which is the next level in sound quality.

Here is an old link from my archive which explains in detail:
Blu-ray vs. DVD - Blu-ray: CNET's Quick Guide - CNET Reviews

Blu-ray vs. DVD

In most ways, Blu-ray is fairly similar to DVD. The players look the same, the discs look the same, and even the disc menus are similar. So why pay more?

Blu-ray brings three major improvements over DVD: better image quality, better sound quality, and more special features. All three are made possible by the larger storage capacity of Blu-ray, which is capable of storing 50GB of information on a single Blu-ray Disc, compared with DVDs, which can hold about 8GB.
What's better about Blu-ray?

Image quality: Superior resolution is a big part of what makes Blu-ray look great. In layman's terms, this means you'll see a more detailed image: more clearly defined strands of hair, wrinkles in clothing, etc. The technical difference is that Blu-ray's maximum resolution is 1,920x1,080 (1080p), while DVD is limited to 720x480 (480p). Beyond resolution, Blu-ray also uses better video-compression methods, resulting in more contrast and richer colors. If you like the way HD from your cable or satellite provider looks, Blu-ray looks even better. It's the highest-quality video format available today, and in some ways it surpasses the picture quality of your local movie theater, especially when shown on a good-performing HDTV or projector.

Audio quality: Audio quality is also improved. New high-resolution soundtrack formats, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, are essentially identical to the studio master, so you'll be hearing things exactly as the director and audio engineers intended. For more information check out the Blu-ray soundtracks section.

Special features: Blu-ray also has additional special features over DVD. The most basic innovation is the pop-up menu, which allows you to access the menu functions while the movie continues playing. Other innovations include picture-in-picture video commentary and the ability to download new content right from your Blu-ray player, although your player needs to have the right Blu-ray profile to access these features. In our opinion, the special features on Blu-ray have mostly been underwhelming and aren't a good reason to upgrade. For more information on special features, check out our detailed discussion of Blu-ray profiles.
What's worse about Blu-ray?

Cost: Blu-ray's main drawback is cost. Prices for players are still generally over $200 and movies cost about $25. While the one-time cost of a player isn't that bad, the cost of building up a new Blu-ray library really adds up. At least it's possible to pick and choose which movies you "buy Blu," since every Blu-ray player can also play standard DVDs.

Available titles: Another downside is that the number of titles on Blu-ray is still much smaller than DVD. There are currently about 970 Blu-ray titles available, compared with more than 90,000 (!) on DVD. Depending on your taste in movies, you may only find a few movies you actually like available on Blu-ray.

Load times: When Blu-ray first came out, load times were unbearable; it could take more than 3 minutes to load a movie. Since then, players have gotten much faster, but they still don't compare with the speed of loading a DVD. While simple Blu-ray movies can load in about 20 seconds on a good Blu-ray player, movies with complex menus still take close to a minute and a half to get to the actual movie, regardless of the player.

Portability: Lastly, if you start buying Blu-ray movies, you may get frustrated that your new movies won't work in places where you only have a standard DVD player. For example, if your bedroom only has a DVD player, you won't be able to watch the second half of your new Blu-ray Disc from the comfort of your bed. Or if you have a car with a built-in DVD player, your new Blu-ray Discs won't work there, either.
DVD and Blu-ray comparison
Feature DVD Blu-ray
Maximum native resolutions supported via HDMI
EDTV (480p) HDTV (720p, 1080i, 1080p)

Disc capacity
4.7GB (single layer)/8.5GB (dual layer) 25GB (single layer)/50GB (dual layer)

Video capacity (per dual-layer disc)
SD: approximately 3 hours SD: approximately 23 hours / HD: 8.5 or 5.6 hours, depending on encoding method

Compatible video game consoles
PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox, Xbox 360 PlayStation 3

What about upconverting DVD players?

You've probably heard about upconverting (also called upscaling) DVD players. Often they'll promise to take your existing DVD collection and make it look like HD. Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately, it's not quite true. We've discussed this issue at length before, but the main takeaway is that while it is possible for an upconverting DVD player to make your existing DVDs look a little better, they won't look like true high-definition. If you want HD video quality, you need Blu-ray.
What about my existing DVD collection?

When the home video format of choice changed from VHS to DVD, it was a rough change for consumers whose existing tape collection was slowly rendered obsolete. Luckily, that's not the case with this transition, as every Blu-ray player is capable of playing back standard DVDs. In fact, every Blu-ray player is also an upconverting DVD player, but remember the benefits from upconversion are still minimal. The bottom line is that all your existing DVDs will play in your new Blu-ray player.

@ madbullram , it was just great . .. bottom line , blu ray is obviously lot better then .

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back