HDMI v Connecting to computer for Sony Bravia KLV-40S550A

Pratters

I have 1500 movies in avi format or actual dvds. I have a Sony DVP5965k/94 DVD player. What does it upscale to? 1080i or 1080p with HDMI?

I have 1500 movies in AVI/actual DVDs which look poor on the TV.

What is better connecting a computer and playing the movies or HDMI?

Also suggest best TV with highest size to play DVDs/avis.

Also should I buy a 1080p enabled dvd player for better performance? Which one?

Sony DVP5965k/94??? You mean Philips?

Connecting to computer is fine but personally I enjoy connecting to a good upscaling HDMI DVD player. For one, the PC cabinet fan is too noisy. And then for playback controls you have to use the keyboard. Even if it is a wireless keyboard, you have to put it on your lap or on a nearby table. And then you have to make room for the popcorn and soft-drinks/beer.:mad:

As far as I know a PC cannot do upscaling. There are some new Nvidia cards that can supposedly do this but I think all that is still in the pipeline. And even if they do, think of all the noise and heat generated (and of course higher electricity bills!!!):sad:

I have 1500 movies in avi format or actual dvds. I have a Sony DVP5965k/94 DVD player. What does it upscale to? 1080i or 1080p with HDMI?

This (Philips DVP5496K) is an entry level player that can scale to 720P/1080i

I have 1500 movies in AVI/actual DVDs which look poor on the TV. What is better connecting a computer and playing the movies or HDMI?

With respect to AVI files, irrespective of which you use, a lot depends upon the source. A badly converted AVI file will look even worse upscaled to 1080P. Most well recorded original DVDs can be upscaled well. BTW, if you want to upscale to 1080P, you have to use HDMI. Nothing else will work.

Also should I buy a 1080p enabled dvd player for better performance? Which one?

This depends upon your TV. If you have a FullHD TV that is 42 inches or larger in size, yes a upscaling DVD player will be useful.

Cheers

My 34" 4:3 Sony TV plays avis superbly and its not HD. I guess I'll have to stick with that and watching movies on my computer in Mirzapur and when not in Calcutta.

Which DVD players would you recommend? I want on which can scale upto 1080p, can play mkv, mp4 formats.

I can get Oppo from the US as my brother is studying there as well.

Which DVD players would you recommend? I want on which can scale upto 1080p, can play mkv, mp4 formats. I can get Oppo from the US as my brother is studying there as well.

If you can get the Oppo BD83 or BD83, they are some of best players in the world for their price range. You are looking at some 300 to 500 US Dollars.

At the same time, please be aware that these players do not support all video formats. Though Oppo does say it supports .MKV it is very vague on other formats. My Oppo 983H plays only the simplest of AVI files and nothing else.

If you are looking at less expensive players look for models from Pioneer.

Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back