Heading to Singapore, what to purchase.

you need to add shipping cost and handling hassle , I have visited last time got same costing ..but In India much cost effetive pricing avilable so no sense from buying in singapore .

Marantz CDPs are much cheaper in Singapore. One of the forum members only has told me about this. I have a friend living in Singapore and he checked the prices for me a few days back and informed me about the below models prices:
CD5004 S$ 320
CD6003 S$ 420
CD6004 S$ 480

Even with the current conversion rate, these prices are much much cheaper than their current price in India and also considerably cheaper than US.
The same is true for AVRs (Onkyo, Denon, Marantz) as well.

you need to add shipping cost and handling hassle , I have visited last time got same costing ..but In India much cost effetive pricing avilable so no sense from buying in singapore .
If someone is physically carrying this from Singapore to India, why would this not be cost-effective? Forget the grey market, I am not interested about that option, but where is India can you get CD5004 for less than 18k (or maybe 20k) and the CD6003 for less than 25k?

Returned from my visit last week.
Since I was in a package tour, I could not do much research there. Still after exploring Mustafa, Naranjan and some other retails outlets on Surngoon Road, my conclusion is, Cameras, BD Players and the likes were not cheaper there. As far as AVRs is concerned, these were not available in these mass markets and I did not have much time to find these at specific AV shops.
Apparently the only thing I found cheaper was LCD TVs. Mobile phones were too little bit cheaper than India. So I came back bare handed with a wish to fulfill my dreams here in India itself.
Regards
VK

I got the following quotes in Sep this year:
Onkyo TX-NR609 S $800
Denon 1912 S $830
Marantz SR5005/ NR1602 S $700
Marantz SR6005 S $800

Hi, looking for nr1602... Where did u get the quotation for maranta nr1602? Is the price cheaper now. Do ,u have the contact or address?

Gentlemen & hifiers,

Sorry to revive this dead thread now. However, I thought this could be an update thread about the hifi situation in Singapore/Malaysia.

I'll be traveling to Singapore for a week & 3 days max in Malaysia. Does it make any sense now with high SGD to buy AV equipment (I am trying to find used amplifiers or AVRs) from there? Please shed some light if you've purchased anything or inquired about latest pre-owned AV equipments from Singapore. Same with Malaysia too. Would be helpful for me & others who might travel in the future.

Cheers

Avoid used equipment. Long ago I bought a used Rotel amp and a Mission 780 speaker. Both were tampered with. The speaker even had defective drivers which I could find out only after reaching here. They worked Ok at low volume but had to be replaced. Including getting replacements from Mission it was eventually quite expensive . Better you stick to new stuff or nothing at all......save your precious money for good new products !
Chinese sellers are like most resellers , you will never be told what is wrong with it especially as they will know you can never get back to them. People are the same everywhere ! ;)

If in Singapore pls visit The Adelphi mall and not sim lim square. I was there last week and picked up a Rotel RA 10 amp. Even the Nad D 3020 is available there for just 32-33k vs 45k here in India.

see if you can pick up a nice soundbar with a wireless subwoofer. honesltly not many good choices in india.

You can look up the customs calculator on another thread.
They will ask you the cost. If they think it's too low they will ask for the purchase receipt. If they claim silly prices you can object and they might get on to the Net ( I think !) . But if it's below Rs 35,000/- it's duty free.
Never had this problem so far. They often accept what you say unless you have a lot of electronic gadgets with you.

I picked up Avr from Adelphi mall long time back. There are loads of shops and choices available so would suggest you to spend atleast some 2-3 hrs browsing through shops. Btw, you will get tax refund too at the airport. Happy Hunting!!

I picked up Avr from Adelphi mall long time back. There are loads of shops and choices available so would suggest you to spend atleast some 2-3 hrs browsing through shops. Btw, you will get tax refund too at the airport. Happy Hunting!!

Yes, Adelphi is a great place. But there are other locations too. Better check for dealer locations of shortlisted brands beforehand.
Keep plenty of time in hand to obtain tax refund at the airport. IIRC, you will need to get some document from the dealer for tax refund.

Yes, Adelphi is a great place. But there are other locations too. Better check for dealer locations of shortlisted brands beforehand.
Keep plenty of time in hand to obtain tax refund at the airport. IIRC, you will need to get some document from the dealer for tax refund.

Friends,

I am leaving for Singapore in a day. Can you please recommend a entry level soundbar? My Philips3571 is not working and thinking of buying Soundbar. Please give your suggestions.

Also, I am looking for a good portable mp3 player with a bit louder speaker similar to this, Can you please recommend a good one?
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/iball-portable-speaker-music-boat/242355

Thanks
Sunder

Audio is dead in Singapore. Adelphi itself has hardly got any shops anymore ( just a handful). Europe and the US are the only places left where one can buy music and audio equipment. I could not find a single store selling CDs in Singapore.

Sundar, have a look at creative sound blaster roar 2 which is available exclusively in singapore. It can play various audio files and it is a primarily a bluetooth speaker..but has aux, usb, sd card all options. Have a look the reviews too.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back