Headphone Amp between US$ 150-300

afj

Hi
A friend of mine is looking for recommendations for a headphone amplifier. He will buy it in US. He's just entered the world of headphone music and has a sennheiser headphone (not sure of the model). from the little i read, i've shortlisted the schiit magne uber, the peachtree shift and the oppo ha-2. what are your views on this. are the peachtree and oppo worth the extra 120 dollars over the schiit. are there any others in the price range that you would recommend

also could you recommend some tube based amps

thanks

ps. audition wont be possible - so decision will be based on reviews / recommendations

I'm using a Schiit and extremely happy with it.

That said all of my stereo amps and AVRs also have headphone out and I cannot hear anything different between any of them.

Could be my cans are mid-fi... Sennheiser HD650.

which model of schiit are you using. the magne uber? or is the the gungnir as in your signature

im a little unclear here. was going through the specs of the schiits again. seems like they do not have a dac section. is that correct? im looking for something that has an internal dac. so usb input and analog output

im a little unclear here. was going through the specs of the schiits again. seems like they do not have a dac section. is that correct? im looking for something that has an internal dac. so usb input and analog output

Schiit actually keep their amps and DACs separate.

Look on the left.

Fulla is the only amp and DAC combo.

ok let me clarify my requirement. im looking for a usb dac + headphone amp combo

If you are not looking for magic, Schiit Fulla is a great buy. Does its job quite well.
I recently acquired one for USD 85 (hand carried from US) - Paired with Panasonic RP-HTF890 (50ohm nominal impedance)
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
If you are not looking for magic, Schiit Fulla is a great buy. Does its job quite well.
I recently acquired one for USD 85 (hand carried from US) - Paired with Panasonic RP-HTF890 (50ohm nominal impedance)
Cheers,
Raghu

im looking for something that will be a decent step up from the iphone / ipod / computer output

im looking for something that will be a decent step up from the iphone / ipod / computer output

Not sure about Fulla's compatibility with mobile devices. This unit requires MB USB power.
Cheers,
Raghu

ok let me clarify my requirement. im looking for a usb dac + headphone amp combo

Then search for DACs (just kidding), most of them have a headphone amp (other than Schiit).

SMSL is highly recommended. I'm using 2 of their DACs and for what they cost ($65 for the SMSL SD793-II) its a steal for the DAC alone, and even better the SMSL SD793-II also is a headphone amp.

I believe Emotiva also has DACs + headphone amps, but I've no personal experience with them.

Check out this YT channel... guy primarily reviews DACs, headphone amps, and cans. https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews/videos. I'm sure you'll find something that catches your attention there.

Amp/DAC - Leckerton UHA6s, Geek Out V2

Amp alone - Schiit Vali 2, Asgard 2

There is a lot of crap selling out there. Just choose wisely and not FOTM basis.

For genuine impressions and not headfi blind following check below url :

Super Best Audio Friends

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back