Headphone amp/dac + on ear cans at 300 usd

naj

Hi!!

I want to buy a head phone amp / DAC plus a pair of on ear cans .

I will visit US for a day and can pick the combo up from my co office in the US. No time to shop around. I will have them shipped to the office.

Now the Guru's pls help me decide-

aa)Max budget 300. can be 350 if according to you , I will get something amazing.

bb)I have short listed Audio technica ATH M50- Price 150 $.ON EAR CANS

CC)still not able to decide on the DAC/ Head phone amp.

Thanks,

Naj

Audio Technica is a good brand, but I prefer the sound of Grado on ear headphones. I roll my own headbanger amps, so I cannot advise a commercial product, but there are some that exist. The problem with them is that they usually have connectors that are not so robust, so look for one that has replaceable jacks.

This Grado hits your price point. Truth is they have more expensive cans, but the increase in sound quality is hard to discern for most people.

Grado Labs | SR325is

Thanks anm and Moviela !!

I will check them out.

Can you advice me about the Jolida Glass mini DAC

Naj

For on-ear closed cans, i would second HD25-II. I am using it and liked it a lot. This may be bit uncomfortable for longer listening sessions but can also be used as portable. This will cost around $180.M50 is also a good choice, if you would like more bass. shure 840 will also come under $200.Grado is good choice for open cans. sr225i / sr325i will be better options within your budget.

These cans may not require an amp , but will sound good with an amp. if you have DAC already and will be using the cans in house , better to look for Desktop amps alone.
Asgard will be a good option for amp alone , if you would like soft mellow sound which go very well with grado cans.

For portable DAC/amp - look out in ibasso line - D7 $179, D12 $280
For desktop DAC / amp - Audinst Mx1, Fiio E7/E9, Yulong u-100.

ibasso DAC/amp was compared to picco DAC/amp which I have.

headfonia and head-fi has lot of details, if you would like research further.

Last edited:
For on-ear closed cans, i would second HD25-II. I am using it and liked it a lot. This may be bit uncomfortable for longer listening sessions but can also be used as portable. This will cost around $180.M50 is also a good choice, if you would like more bass. shure 840 will also come under $200.Grado is good choice for open cans. sr225i / sr325i will be better options within your budget.

These cans may not require an amp , but will sound good with an amp. if you have DAC already and will be using the cans in house , better to look for Desktop amps alone.
Asgard will be a good option for amp alone , if you would like soft mellow sound which go very well with grado cans.

For portable DAC/amp - look out in ibasso line - D7 $179, D12 $280
For desktop DAC / amp - Audinst Mx1, Fiio E7/E9, Yulong u-100.

ibasso DAC/amp was compared to picco DAC/amp which I have.

headfonia and head-fi has lot of details, if you would like research further.

I have written to Schiit for Asgard amp with some questions. Have yet to receive answers.

So you suggest to get the cans first as they will not require an amp/Dac. If required then I should go in for an amp.

If its only cans I can buy them from best buy.

Thanks. In the mean time i will research the sites you have provided.

naj

@ naj - ATH-M50 is said to be not gaining anything *significant* coupled with an amp (read in some article on head-fi) due to its already being 'supposedly' bass-heavy. even am on the brink of getting one of these cans. though for more on this (ie, regarding M50 and choice of amp/DAC), you could contact 2 of our fellow-members here, 'blasto' and 'ironhorse'.

Hi Naj,

I currently use an ATH M50 as my headphones for private listening. I also have a small portable amplifier (not the regular desktop ones). Adding an amp to the ATH M50 does not make a very large differnce, but yes it does add some volume/power to the music and i did not find it distorting as well.

I use the PA2V2 amp by Electric Avenues. Its an online purchase and costs about 60USD, but if you dont want the charger since it obviously wont work in India, you will get it at 56 USD.

You can see the size and my headphone if you wish you at this link Archives .. just scroll down or search for AMP ID: PA2V2-11-01-2010-7810.

I have no regrets of using that combo and my source is Cowon J3 16GB and use 99% FLAC files and 1% MP3 for those which i dont get flac files :D

I use the ATH for extended listening like 2-3 hours mostly, though not on a daily basis

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Prashant

There is a group buy running for a fully made O2 headphone amp on diyaudio group buy forum for some 140$.

Hi !!

I have ordered the Audio technica ATH M50 for USD 160.

But unfortunately I have been asked to return to India asap.
Reason- For doing my job honestly.
I have been slit/ Back stabbed by the Greeks and the philipino.
Disgusting fellows.

I do not know now when I will be able to enjoy or get hold of the ear phones while they lay in my co office in New Orleans.

I am in Kingston , Jamica and I dont know whats going to happen to me next.

Naj

There is a group buy running for a fully made O2 headphone amp on diyaudio group buy forum for some 140$.

Ok !! I will check it out. Thanks!!

As I see it there are a lot of head phone amps in the market a various price ranges. It is getting a bit confusing !!

Hi !!

I have ordered the Audio technica ATH M50 for USD 160.

Naj

Congratulations on the purchase. Sad to hear the latter part though. Shouldnt they be able to ship to any location , though at an additional cost of-course ?
Also, they might have a next day shipping option if you would be able to modify your order.

Regards,
Prashant

Hi!!

Just came to know that the shipment has reached my office in New Orleans. Incidently I will be reaching NOrleans on the 15th. Cant just wait for a listen.

The next step would be a DAC a couple of months later.

Cheers

Back