headphones under 10K

Since Shure is not in your picture and you are looking to purchase online -
Some of the excellent headphones available in flipkart are the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X open back(very wide stage), the ATH-M50 and also the Sony MDR ZX-700(excellent isolation and better deal than the M-50 at 5k :)

If you want great VFM, get a Samson 850 RC(semi-open at 2.5K) and a CMoy, then mod the pads with beyer pads of the DT880/990s. This will give you some very good sound that will easily equal the ATH-M50 albeit scaling better with source/amp than the latter.

But then it all depends on your ears and how you like the sound. If you could let us know something you like the sound of ....it would help easier with the suggestions...

cheers :)

@Turgid
The headphone is for Home purpose ONLY, for short duration and stationery use.

Only Indian music, especially tamil, hindi and some telugu songs with Instrumentals like Yanni, alternate rock like DMB and western classical occasionally. But would be great if the headphones are suited for Indian music.

I'm not a big bass lover. I would be happy if music sounds as it is intended to sound and with details.

By details i mean even little sounds from the backgrounds.( i dont know whether thats the musical definition of "details")

In the music that i listen to regularly in my car audio and my blue tooth speakers i know how they usually sound and where in the song they sound. But i would not know if the sound of a cymball has been reproduced accurately.

Also i can find out that something is different in such sounds although i cannot explain the difference in words in terms of frequencies.

Hope this clarifies.

Also, if there are shops that i can visit and choose from, i'm open to it. not very strict with online purchase. in fact, i'm looking at online because there does not seem to be shops in Chennai where i can actually listen to the cans before buying.

Shure is not in the list because i don't know anything about it. would be happy to take your suggestions and include any specific model.

Cymbals are not something you would want a closed headphone or earphone to reproduce in perfect tonality. Sibilance would come thru in vocal tones if the headphone was tuned so.
since home listening is your choice, open headphones are better that provide a slight bit of isolation and closer to a real stage than closed.If you have a good AMP or an A/V receiver I would suggest you try to get an AKG k501 from AKG dealers in India. They are the closest to a tonally perfect headphone if at all there is something like that, to my ears. If you can stretch your budget, the DT 880 Pro by Beyerdynamic is an excellent choice but would need the A/V receiver/ AMP too.

The best closed dynamic I have tried is the Shure SRH-940 out of an Audinst HUD-MXII. That was the cleanest sound but very less bass. These are my suggestions to you. And finally there is the AKG K240 MK2 which is an excellent headphone with very flat sound.

Ofcourse, the above except for the AKG K240 MkII might be hard to come by or audition but for availability you have the Brainwavz HM5, the ATH-M50 and the others mentioned in this thread.

Cheers...
~A

How about Phiaton MS-400 ? I used it for 1 month and I must say that once the burn-in time is over, the sound just gets balanced. I think you won't regret it. Perfect for you as you don't want too much bass, vocals are great and so are highs. It's perfectly balanced. It's circumaural so it's comfortable too and it's design is award-winning. Check it out. And if you want to buy online, I can help you with importing it.

Do check these models too :

Bose SoundTrue (around-ear)
Harman Kardon Soho

The Audio Technica M50 is THE BEST headphone in its price range in the world. If will be a big mistake if you buy anything else in your budget. Even if you have to buy a headphone amp to drive it!

Last edited:
The Audio Technica M50 is THE BEST headphone in its price range in the world. If will be a big mistake if you buy anything else in your budget. Even if you have to buy a headphone amp to drive it!

and that's where the problem starts in India.

Let say, if 10 person in India bought Bajaj Pulsar so even the 11th, 12th and so on will buy the Bajaj Pulsar only.

In India, people goes towards the popularity and not towards the trait which that particular thing is known for and in IEMs/headphones that trait is called as "SOUND".

Beyerdynamic DT1350, V-Moda XS, Sennheiser HD25-1 II are better headphones out there but these are not widely popular as ATH-M50 in INDIA and the reason I have just said above.

I am not saying that ATH-M50 is a average sounding headphones, it's a good sounding headphones but obviously better are available at near around the same budget.

Let say, if 10 person in India bought Bajaj Pulsar so even the 11th, 12th and so on will buy the Bajaj Pulsar only.

In India, people goes towards the popularity and not towards the trait which that particular thing is known for and in IEMs/headphones that trait is called as "SOUND".

Beyerdynamic DT1350, V-Moda XS, Sennheiser HD25-1 II are better headphones out there but these are not widely popular as ATH-M50 in INDIA and the reason I have just said above.

I am not saying that ATH-M50 is a average sounding headphones, it's a good sounding headphones but obviously better are available at near around the same budget.
Well.. it happens only in India :yahoo:

first of all you sound like you're from chattisgarh or some place like that...i hope you've listened to the models you mentioned...i doubt! If yes, i would love to know what source do you use and amplification. I took demo of all sennheisers upto HD800s & beyerdynamics DT880/990/T1/T90. In my opinion they all sound anemic even with maverics & audio engine amps. Total crap! Even an AKG K403 sounds better without an amp on a mere micromax cellphone. Maybe you should start listening before you give such stereotypical opinions.

brands don't come by awareness they come through sad dealers by sadly demanding customers for cheap brands

anyhow, AKG k240/k271 are also good apart from audio technica M50.

but 10K price range headphones will need amps for getting volume & optimum performance out of them.

any sennheisers, beyers are too anemic sounding and very low volume

also the kind of music you mentioned...Grado rs80i/sr60i AKG k240/k271 & Audio technica AD500/700/900 would be good

AKG k403 K518 K430 k67 can be better lower price alternatives easily drivable by portable devices 16-32 ohms without draining battries. Phones these days have very good built in dacs.

p.s. - "pristine note" is now known as "pro audio home" with more flexible payment options and updated products

Last edited:
Yea, Pristine Note is best here but if you want variation, you need to import. I always get my cans imported. So if you need to import any headphone, let me know. I can help.

Importing always comes with huge problems !!

100% imported headphone owner here..

Imported and the only negative experience :-
Greenhouse GH-ERC-DMS- Japanese TWFK, replaced under warranty, sent for reshelling and was stolen in transit($224 - gone with the wind + 3 weeks of frustration with my bank )

Also imported but on the positive side :-
Sony XB-500
Shure SE535 with 7N OFC cables(also imported)
Beyer DT990PRO
Rockit R-50, now reshelled with MMCX connectors
and my favourite
Sony MDR-SA 5000 with viablue 7N cables :)

See, you're little happy with your imported goods :) So am I :D Although never had any hassles nor packages lost / stolen :) Lucky me, I guess.

but 10K price range headphones will need amps for getting volume & optimum performance out of them.

I have ATH-M50 and i use them without amps most of the time with my mobile and iPod. Found the volume level and performance is very good. No significance difference with headphone amp (i have NuFource uDac2).

When i bought the headphone i also thought i need a amp to drive such a big headphone, but surprised with the sound level / output.

I have ATH-M50 and i use them without amps most of the time with my mobile and iPod. Found the volume level and performance is very good. No significance difference with headphone amp (i have NuFource uDac2).

When i bought the headphone i also thought i need a amp to drive such a big headphone, but surprised with the sound level / output.
Try it with E10 or Asus U7.

ya I have ATH M50 too with Fiio E10 and it makes another %75 diff you'll be amazed by the sound clarity & bass...they really shake the cans

ATH M50 & Fiio E10 made for eachother :cheers:

if ya can afford a E12 would be like aged wine

I personally use Grado SR80i, they sound really good but will not be the best for portable player.

I have 2 spare pieces of highly regarded headphones for portable player which are very sparingly used. One will come within your budget but for other one you have to stretch your budget little more. PM me if you are interested.

1. Ultimate Ear Triplefi 10 - Amazon.com: Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphones: Electronics

2. Shure SE530 - Amazon.com: Shure SE530 Sound Isolating Earphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics

Hi
I'm looking for headphones (on-ear/over the ear) within a budget of 10k.

My requirements are as follows

music - all indian, western classical, Dave Mathews Band kind of music.
Source - Blackberry, Ipod Nano, Moto-X ( as of now)
budget - 10K
AMP/DAC - not as of now
Looking for - balanced sound and good SQ

Shortlisted the following after researching for a week and with whatever little knowledge i have.

ATH-M50 - 7999 at Flipkart
Grado SR80i - 8900 @ snapdeal
Harman Kardon CL - 7800 @ snapdeal

Thanks in advance for helping me in this.

Your requirement is screaming for a audio technica ad-700 (considering your budget).
The ath-m50 is highly over-rated imho, once you hear better cans you will simply let go of them. (i own these)
HM-5 is very neutral. You might simply love or absolutely hate them. Not a buy if its the only cans you gonna own. (own these too)
As people mentioned, dt-880 are gr8 cans but will throw you back around 15k or more and they definitely need an amp.
Alternatively you can look at a iem like a sound magic pl-50, definitely cant go wrong here.

Back