headphones under 10K

Either go the full distance and buy a top of the line model like Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT880 with good amps to support or buy something cheap or a used piece to test the waters. Budget models will not give you the high that you are looking for. Don't buy something which can be termed as an average model by paying something like Rs 10,000/-. While an Audio Technica ATH-M50 is a good headphone, it is not all that superior to a good headphone from PHILIPS like SHP9000 which was cleared at around Rs 1500/- by greendust though the MRP was higher. I have listened to both.

I'm very happy with my setup : Koss ProDJ100, shipped it from Amazon US Global, reaches for about 5000 wihtout any issues.
Beautiful sounding and looking cans.
Paired it with an Objective2 Amp later, and I added a Hifimediy Sabre DAC for an amazing sounding setup, amazing, detailed mids, tireless highs, and controlled bass.

The only thing missing is good comfort, hot headphones to wear in India, according to headfi reviews AudioTechnica M50 earpads work best with it..

Go through head-fi reviews of these cans and if you want you can come hear my setup in bangalore. tdockwelier and a couple others compared them against HD650 and other brilliant cans as well

Last edited:
Also, I've compared the ProDJ to the Grado SR80i, on an A/B, and found the Koss to be more detailed but similarly forward toned than the Grados on the mids, a slightly lesser soundstage(though much bigger than some Sennheiser closed cans) and much tighter bass. And no shrill highs. Grados are better in comfort, so you can imagine that the Koss can get uncomfortable for long use.
The audio-technica is bass-heavy but a brilliant headphone, but somehow doesn't feel natural especially on live recordings...the M50x is supposed to have better mids but I haven't heard so can't confirm. I prefer the Koss for the natural uncolored sound.

source matters when listening headphones

one can't' give a verdict by listening to HP on a mobile and say its good or bad

a high end HP needs an amp + good source to get the best out of them

on the contrary don't buy anything before listening

sennheiser & beyerdaynamics can be a very big disappointments even with very good amps

coming from first hand experience ... after listening to all senn HPs upto top of the line HD800...and beyer DT880 250 ohms

you're gonna need very heavy and quality amps for these

DT800 250ohms do poorly with audio engine n22 & mavericks
very anemic sounding

Get a AKG clone. The Superlux. I use one and am more than happy camper. They are inexpensive as well! You won't ever regret the buy.

Superlux HD-668 B

Get a AKG clone. The Superlux. I use one and am more than happy camper. They are inexpensive as well! You won't ever regret the buy.

Superlux HD-668 B

The Samson SR850c is just a rebranded superlux HD 668b and this has been suggested already to the OP while reminding him of replacing the pads of the cans with those of beyers.

source matters when listening headphones

one can't' give a verdict by listening to HP on a mobile and say its good or bad

a high end HP needs an amp + good source to get the best out of them

on the contrary don't buy anything before listening

sennheiser & beyerdaynamics can be a very big disappointments even with very good amps

coming from first hand experience ... after listening to all senn HPs upto top of the line HD800...and beyer DT880 250 ohms

you're gonna need very heavy and quality amps for these

DT800 250ohms do poorly with audio engine n22 & mavericks
very anemic sounding

I think this statement is incorrect mainly due to the excellent chips used in mobile phones today thay suffice most of the better portable headphonea and almost all IEMs. Besides what you call high end is subjective. .. But a person who gets a 'high end' can like an HD800 will surely know enough not to run it out of a phone :D
Cheers,
~A

I think this statement is incorrect mainly due to the excellent chips used in mobile phones today thay suffice most of the better portable headphonea and almost all IEMs. Besides what you call high end is subjective. .. But a person who gets a 'high end' can like an HD800 will surely know enough not to run it out of a phone :D
Cheers,
~A

May be the DAC in mobile nowadays are good but not the amp section. The only mobile that I can think which can go loud is HTC M8. It also depends on the ohms of the hp irrespective of budget. I would definitely recommend a headphone amp + good source if you are shelling out like 10k or more in hp. Even my easily driveable ATH-M50 sounds better with better spaced out presentation with the entry level amp like e6 so I would definitely recommend atleast an entry level amps for hp while using with a mobile.

May be the DAC in mobile nowadays are good but not the amp section. The only mobile that I can think which can go loud is HTC M8. It also depends on the ohms of the hp irrespective of budget. I would definitely recommend a headphone amp + good source if you are shelling out like 10k or more in hp. Even my easily driveable ATH-M50 sounds better with better spaced out presentation with the entry level amp like e6 so I would definitely recommend atleast an entry level amps for hp while using with a mobile.

Very true, mid to high end devices from reputed manufacturers offer very much acceptable SQ these days, but an entry level amp is needed to properly enjoy the music.
I almost fell in love with my Lenovo K900's audio quality and invested in a basic Fiio E07K to use as an amp to listen with my ATH-M50. Pairs well once you tweak a little with bass and treble controls.

The Samson SR850c is just a rebranded superlux HD 668b and this has been suggested already to the OP while reminding him of replacing the pads of the cans with those of beyers.

Cheers,
~A

I agree about the dac in phones after listening to moto e a basic moto but the sound was very good. However, no match for a dedicated hp amp. The phone dac are louder and quantitative mostly except for some expensive phones. But for clarity and power an amp is better.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back