Hearing Loss

psychotropic

I wrote the post below in Suri's thread on "my experiments with truth" but apparently I can't reply to it because it is more than 165 days old! Anyway here it is.
-----------

I fished this thread out because I went to an ENT today and got an audiogram done, and that has revealed that I too have "minimal to moderate sloping sensorineural hearing loss" with a greater loss in the high frequencies in my right ear, my left ear is better but not by a long way.

Speech frequences have only mildly been affected so far and my 'pure tone average' for the right ear is an 18.3 dB (about 4.95% hearing handicap) and for the left ear is 15 dB (normal).

but my thresholds for the higher frequencies especially the 4 - 8 khz is a pretty gloomy 50 dB or thereabouts in both ears...no wonder i can't hear a digital thermometer beeping in my own mouth! From some reading it seems this 4khz and upwards loss is often 'noise-induced'....so i am guessing the years of loud rock music and the briefer period of time spent playing with my band in that tiny jam room must have had some impact.

Thought I'd put these numbers out here and compare with anyone else who'd had an audiogram done.

Yes, I'm only 28 years old.....woe is me etc., etc., but like Suri said, I can now feel a kinship with Beethoven. The doc has advised to strictly stay away from headphones/earphones and to listen to music only at low volume levels.

Sorry to hear that. but it is not the end of the world :) . you can get a Behringer crossover to bump up frequencies to match your hearing to some extent.

Additionally there are Hobbies like photography which are equally fulfilling and for the money one spends on an average Hifi you can get a pretty good Kit

Last edited:
Hi,

Per AMA journals & articles, even a constant humming sound would induce NIHL (noise-induced hearing loss). We, at work, insist all our employees to use only branded headphones and noise-cancelling types and operate at low volume as possible, and keep reminding them every now and then.

But majority will keep operating at high volumes, as using headsets in low volumes require much more concentration and require minimal distraction, and after certain months of usage, they psychologically get accustomed to that level, probably ignoring the fact that their hearing ability is decreasing, and then use softwares like Goldwave, etc., to increase the volume further of the 8 Bit Mono Wave files that they work on, which will result in huge distortion.

Cheers!

thanks for that.... it's very reassuring, but are you suuuuuuure?

Hi psychotropic,

Dont worry, I have had a constant exposure of at least 10 hours of dictation (8 bit mono) for a period of 5.5 years. I should have become completely deaf by now if that is the case.

You sure wont have any issues, noise-induced hearing is limited to factories, industries, etc. Music would not cause much damage, rather would spruce up your physical and mental health!

You can be rest assured!

Cheers!

I'd say, stay away from this ENT guy. Rock on dude! Even if your hearing DOES get affected, your wallet (and possibly your better half) would thank you... :D

Open headphones are one of the better options. I suggest to listen to low to moderate volumes on all headphones, esp. the noise cancelling and in ear ones. Too bad for the ears. I have seen some guys technically deaf before 30 due to just a few years of listening using phones at loud volumes.

And then they make these...

was3000-2small.jpg

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back