Height Speakers v/s Ceiling Speakers for Dolby Atmos

I have also mounted Polk owm3 speakers in the concrete ceiling using SAFWE – SM03 - speaker mounts for the atmos setup. I am also using the same receiver as you have (Denon X2300) and able to get a good atmos effect by placing the speakers in the top middle position.
For ceiling mount Atmos speakers, what amp assign settings do you use in X2300 AVR as it has only two option available for Atmos (Front Atmos or Surround Atmos) ?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-01-21 14-54-43.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-21 14-54-43.png
    115.4 KB · Views: 13
For ceiling mount Atmos speakers, what amp assign settings do you use in X2300 AVR as it has only two option available for Atmos (Front Atmos or Surround Atmos) ?
It depends upon the place you are placing the speakers. I have fixed my two atmos speakers one fit forward to my listening position and assigned as top middle in the AVR settings.

Hi All.

Wanted to get some views on this.

I currently have a 5.1 HT system. However, my AVR can handle 2 additional speakers.
Given the wider availability of Dolby Atmos movies, I want to add 2 additional speakers.

The obvious solution would be to add 2 ceiling speakers.
However, my room does not have a false ceiling, and I do not intend to put one.

So, questions :

1. If I add 2 front height speakers, would the effect be nearly as good as ceiling speakers, if the source has a Dolby Atmos sound track ? Has anyone tried it out ?

2. Is there any mount I can use, to fix ceiling speakers without putting a false ceiling ?

Happy to hear thoughts / ideas / views.
Sir,
What did you go with eventually?
Regards

Shouldn't the three option above the two you have highlighted also work?
Scrolling down this page gives the many options available, visually.

Of course, Denon's terminology is terribly confusing, but the diagrams are a bit clearer.

Could also be my mistake reading it wrong. So, please take it with a pinch of salt.
Regards

It depends upon the place you are placing the speakers. I have fixed my two atmos speakers one fit forward to my listening position and assigned as top middle in the AVR settings.
Thanks Manoj for clarifying it. I hope you're getting Dolby Atmos effects sound in Top Middle speakers using Top Middle 7.1 configuration as suggested in the manual?

Shouldn't the three option above the two you have highlighted also work?
Scrolling down this page gives the many options available, visually.

Of course, Denon's terminology is terribly confusing, but the diagrams are a bit clearer.

Could also be my mistake reading it wrong. So, please take it with a pinch of salt.
Regards

You're right, it is confusing for me in the manual.

Though manual had provided diagrams and configuration for Top Middle speakers, I have impression that it will only work for Dolby Digital 7.1 signal and Atmos sound may not be redirected to Top Middle Speakers.

U need to understand itcorrectly. The Dolby Atmos ( front & surround speakers ) mentioned here is for bouncing type model ,i.e speakers with upfiring model which are kept on either front or surround speakers.This will create a pseudo atmos sound ( by reflecting sound from ceiling upfired by that speakers).
For proper Atmos sound,this is not recommended. U may need to mount the speakers either on ceiling or high on walls with repeat to the angles mentioned in Dolby Atmos specifications/ guidelines.

U need to understand itcorrectly. The Dolby Atmos ( front & surround speakers ) mentioned here is for bouncing type model ,i.e speakers with upfiring model which are kept on either front or surround speakers.This will create a pseudo atmos sound ( by reflecting sound from ceiling upfired by that speakers).
For proper Atmos sound,this is not recommended. U may need to mount the speakers either on ceiling or high on walls with repeat to the angles mentioned in Dolby Atmos specifications/ guidelines.
Thanks, it cleared my doubt!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back