Height Speakers v/s Ceiling Speakers for Dolby Atmos

argho

Hi All.

Wanted to get some views on this.

I currently have a 5.1 HT system. However, my AVR can handle 2 additional speakers.
Given the wider availability of Dolby Atmos movies, I want to add 2 additional speakers.

The obvious solution would be to add 2 ceiling speakers.
However, my room does not have a false ceiling, and I do not intend to put one.

So, questions :

1. If I add 2 front height speakers, would the effect be nearly as good as ceiling speakers, if the source has a Dolby Atmos sound track ? Has anyone tried it out ?

2. Is there any mount I can use, to fix ceiling speakers without putting a false ceiling ?

Happy to hear thoughts / ideas / views.

Check out Dali Alteco which are wall mounted. There was a pair for sale sometime back.
See this thread also.

I'm also in a similar situation. I want to add 2 more speakers to my existing 5.1 to my Marantz SR5013 receiver. I don't want to invest any more on speakers. I have 2 speakers from my old Sharp Hifi system which I intend to use (I was using these as surrounds before investing in surround speakers). These doesn't come with wall mount bracket. I want to place them using glass stand with L bracket. Please suggest where to place them for Atmos, front heights or surround back? And at what height they should be. Thanks a lot. @ Argho, sorry if I have hijacked your post.

No probs Srini. I think many of us are in the same boat.

go for fbl control one celing speakers inbuilt mounts

Thanks Sachin. Am going to check this out.

Only doubt I have - the rest of my speakers are Polk Rti , @ 8 ohms. This JBL says 6 ohms. Would that cause a problem ?

1. If I add 2 front height speakers, would the effect be nearly as good as ceiling speakers, if the source has a Dolby Atmos sound track ? Has anyone tried it out ?

2. Is there any mount I can use, to fix ceiling speakers without putting a false ceiling ?

Don't know about (1), but (2) is definitely doable. From my reading, the recommendation for 2 on-ceilings is just forward of your MLP.

I really don't think front heights is going to give you satisfying results. I use svs elevations which is a very good speaker for height effects on my concrete ceiling in a 5.1.2 set up. First i installed it exactly at the middle and the results were disappointing. Most of the height effects didn't feel like the sound coming from the top but felt like coming from the fronts.Later i installed it close to my MLP and it was excellent. My point is even when the speakers where installed in the ceiling but slightly away from the MLP the atoms effects was not satisfying so i assume front heights is going to be even worse. Sonodyne has atmos speakers that looks similar to the svs elevations which also includes brackets to mount on your ceiling. It should cost you around 13k. Check with volumate as he deals with sonodyne

Thanks Sachin. Am going to check this out.

Only doubt I have - the rest of my speakers are Polk Rti , @ 8 ohms. This JBL says 6 ohms. Would that cause a problem ?
I AM USING DENON 4200 AND I AM NOT FACING PROBLEMS WITH JBL CONTROL ,DOLBY ATMOS is producing excellent sound effect on jbl control

I AM USING DENON 4200 AND I AM NOT FACING PROBLEMS WITH JBL CONTROL ,DOLBY ATMOS is producing excellent sound effect on jbl control

I have a Denon X2300. I know that Denon can handle 4 ohm speakers, But I have concerns on introducing 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers, when the rest are 8 ohms. I think that will cause problems.

The queries on the product in Amazon says 4 ohms :

Question:
Can i connect them to 5.1 home theatre with output 200 watt rms per speaker? How much is the speaker impedance?
Answer:
Yes you can use this with 200w rms output, actually we have sold so many customise home Theater with these speakers. These are 4ohm impedence speaker.
By Pulse Cinemas SELLER on 13 October, 2019

That is also what the JBL site states :
General Specifications
Frequency Range (-10 dB)80 Hz to 20 kHz
Frequency Response (± 3 dB)I00 Hz - 18 kHz
Power CapacityI50 W
Sensitivity87 dB SPL, 1 W, 1 m (3.3 ft)
Maximum SPL108 dB continuous, 114 dB peak
Directivity Factor (Q)6.0
Directivity Index (DI)7.8
Nominal Impedance4 ohms

Any thoughts anyone ? Can I safely introduce 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers into a 5.1 setup where the rest are 8 ohms ?

I have used this ceiling mount for my Polk owm3 atmos setup.
SAFWE – SM03 - Speaker Wall Mount Stand
SAFWE – SM-02 - Speaker Wall Mount Stand

I have a Denon X2300. I know that Denon can handle 4 ohm speakers, But I have concerns on introducing 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers, when the rest are 8 ohms. I think that will cause problems.

The queries on the product in Amazon says 4 ohms :

Question:
Can i connect them to 5.1 home theatre with output 200 watt rms per speaker? How much is the speaker impedance?
Answer:
Yes you can use this with 200w rms output, actually we have sold so many customise home Theater with these speakers. These are 4ohm impedence speaker.
By Pulse Cinemas SELLER on 13 October, 2019

That is also what the JBL site states :
General Specifications
Frequency Range (-10 dB)80 Hz to 20 kHz
Frequency Response (± 3 dB)I00 Hz - 18 kHz
Power CapacityI50 W
Sensitivity87 dB SPL, 1 W, 1 m (3.3 ft)
Maximum SPL108 dB continuous, 114 dB peak
Directivity Factor (Q)6.0
Directivity Index (DI)7.8
Nominal Impedance4 ohms

Any thoughts anyone ? Can I safely introduce 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers into a 5.1 setup where the rest are 8 ohms ?
practically I am using it since 3+ years ,not faced any problems.

If I am not wrong, you can mount regular surround sound speakers on a bracket on the ceiling. Maybe mount it a bit to the front of the seating and angle it at about 46degree (I think). This should be good and sufficient. Seniors may please advise.

Hi All.

Wanted to get some views on this.

I currently have a 5.1 HT system. However, my AVR can handle 2 additional speakers.
Given the wider availability of Dolby Atmos movies, I want to add 2 additional speakers.

The obvious solution would be to add 2 ceiling speakers.
However, my room does not have a false ceiling, and I do not intend to put one.

So, questions :

Happy to hear thoughts / ideas / views.
If only 2 heights. Then the best will be Top Middle configuration on ceiling.

Front heights won't give you good effects as ceiling speakers in Top Middle position for Atmos content.

Prime Elevation is a good option, you can also consider Sonodyne Sonus 3540, Polk OWM3 etc. which comes with ceiling mount options.

Was not aware that Polk OWM3 can be ceiling mounted. Just checked it out.
Rest of my speakers are Polk, so this makes sense. Thanks.

Most of the height effects didn't feel like the sound coming from the top but felt like coming from the fronts.Later i installed it close to my MLP and it was excellent. My point is even when the speakers where installed in the ceiling but slightly away from the MLP the atoms effects was not satisfying so i assume front heights is going to be even worse.
Before and after moving the speakers near MLP, did you also change the layout in AVR speaker layout settings?

The reason for asking this is twofold:
1: Height speakers are supposed to be more coherent for listener. Anything above 40-45 degrees, and it becomes difficult to spot the auditory source location.
2: Atmos being mostly opaque in terms of track / object processing for end users, we wouldn't know what works best unless we try all layouts (That, we can't really ) . Did you try and cheat the AVR that, these are top speakers ( even if they are heights)?

I searched for answers in avsforum and here of course. There are quite a few threads/replies in both places asking exactly this.

I have also mounted Polk owm3 speakers in the concrete ceiling using SAFWE – SM03 - speaker mounts for the atmos setup. I am also using the same receiver as you have (Denon X2300) and able to get a good atmos effect by placing the speakers in the top middle position.

recently added heights - Cambridge Audio Minx 12 + ceiling mounts - I believe around 15K for both in white. A foot ahead of the listening position and it is doing a great job. The AVR is X2300, tried same scenes with them on front height/middle height - back height is the best result.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back