Hello everyone, Sasi from Chennai :)

sasikumar_dv

Hi everyone, I am glad that I came across this forum. I never realized we would have so many Audiophiles in India. This is exciting.
About myself, I did my undergrad in India, Masters in USA and currently reside at Michigan, USA. I will be moving to India by the end of December this year.
My enthusiasm for audio/video comes from my Dad. He is my hero in all other things in addition to AV. Although he loved AV stuff, he never really spent good money on them because he always thought he could never stop upgrading once the ball got rolling.
My first ever TV was gifted by him when he visited USA. It was a 60inch, Samsung UN7150h, 1080p TV. After a whole month of research we narrowed down on it based on reviews online specifically rtings.com. When we went to the store, we liked it and got it.
While doing my masters (3 years back) I found a Harmon Kardon AVR240 on craigslist (a popular website in USA where anyone can sell used stuff) for $200. It was a 5.1 system which was probably 8 years old, it didnt even have HDMI inputs. I used SPDIF cables to make it work. It was a decent unit but nowhere near audiophile standards.
About 4 months back I visited BestBuy (electronics store) just for a fun demo. Boy o boy!!! I was blown away. The brands, sound quality, money! I did get a chance to listen to systems that were worth more than $8000. I decided someday, someday I would own one of these. One system, something that was somewhat within reach was the B&W 685S2 fronts, B&W HTM62 Center, Def Tech 800 surrounds and B&W ASW 610 with a Denon AVR X3300. I believe he played Skyfalls opening car chase sequence. Those B&W fronts were so clear and crisp. I loved them, they were the closest I could get to systems that are worth 3 times its price. So I went back dreaming about them.
One fine day I saw a post on craigslist, some one had posted B&W 685S2 fronts, B&W HTM62 Center, Boston Acoustics a26 surrounds and Denon AVRX2000 for $800. It was a steal. I couldnt resist and I went ahead and picked it. I loved it. The only weak link was my Subwoofer. I had been using the same subwoofer from Harmon Kardon AVR240. It was horrible on the low frequency side. After doing months of research I decided to get SVS PB2000. It made a world of difference. Excellent low frequency response. Movies that have bomb explosions, Man, it reproduces true sound. I did realize however and as described in other forums that two subwoofers are required to fill up the gaps. Someday I will get another SVS PB2000, SVS Prime Elevation Speakers and a Denon AVR x4300h or a Marantz SR6011. May be even floor standing speakers made by Def Tech or Martin Logan. All that is for the future however. At this point, I am super young and I have other things to save for.
I will be moving to Chennai by the end of this year and I am glad I have a decent setup to start with and I am glad to have so many people on this forum to share my experience with.
Also, if anyone is looking for AV stuff and want it imported from USA let me know, I will see if I can help you out and add it to my shipping list. Only one or two items though. I can feel the pain of Indians when it comes to AV stuff, for no reason sometimes quality speakers or receivers or even TVs for that matter are priced higher in our country. Hopefully this scenario changes.

Thanks everyone, Cheers!

Hi sasikumar_dv

Welcome to HFV!

Impressive note on your Audiophile journey....you do have impressive gear and i am sure once you are back here, you will get to flavor the other brands of speakers and AVRs....lots of dealers around for auditioning....

Very kind of your offer to help out in getting AV stuff from US....

I am sure you will find a lot of posts enriching and educating which has been uploaded by experienced and qualified fellow members.....

All the best...happy browsing

Good to know that you could indulge in this passion at a super young age.

Please make it HTM 61 for the center and 685 S1 or S2 surround then you will know the difference. For best Timber matching you have to have the same brand and model in speaker package.

HSU are one of the best subwoofers I heard and owned. They are available in dirt cheap price in US.

You are living in Audio heaven. So plan it well now itself so that you can bring best audio gear at the lowest price. How long you have been in US? There is a great possibility of coming in TR.

PM me I will guide you. Once you reach back here you will be high and dry with no big options to buy especially at reasonable prices.

Thanks,

Balagopalan.

Please look at the following thread you will have fair idea on how the learning curve goes. So if you can connect with any person (Absolutely not necessarily me) who has been spending time and energy on Audio for a decade your learning curve becomes almost vertical and you will not end up re inventing the wheel spending your time and energy.

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/47854-my-home-theater-journey.html

Thanks.

The quality of a true audiophile is selfless willingness to help others and most on this forum have it!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back