Hello Everyone.

maheshshenoy

Hello members of HiFiVision.

I'm Mahesh. I have been a resident of Bangalore for the last two years.
Came across this website just last week when i started reading up on HiFi audio systems, snooped around a little and it seems like a treasure trove of knowledge and bonhomie.
I intend to learn a lot about HiFi systems, technicalities of sound systems & appreciate music at a deeper level by being part of these wonderful forums.

I'm currently looking at building up an audio system, the primary objective being better music experience. Budget: Around 75K. I need help and suggestions.

Walked into a ProFx showroom in town the other day and was mind blown by the sounds i heard through a lower end Polk tower speakers hooked up to a Denon AV receiver, but later readings showed me that there are too many brands in the market to choose from, especially for someone like me who has just been a listener up until now and has no clue how to make a choice.

I would be grateful if someone could point me to some literature on general HiFi technicalities (for ex. the guy at the showroom spoke about some measure of Impedance of the receiver and about wattage and i had no clue what he was talking about, and i'm an electrical engineer!).

Looking forward to interacting with as many of you as possible and some exciting times at HiFiVision.

Thank you.

Mahesh

P.S.: Future posts will never be so long.

Hi Mahesh,

Welcome to HFV. With your budget of Rs.75K, you can build a decent stereo setup.

There are lot of brands in amplifiers (Marantz, Yamaha, Norge, Onkyo, Cambridge Audio, etc) , speakers (Wharfedale, Polk, Jamo, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, etc) and source (Sony, Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, etc) available all over India. A stereo setup contains a Dedicated CD Player, Integrated Amplifier (it can be pre - power combo also) and Speaker System (which can be a pair of Floorstander or bookshelf).

To shortlist the gears you need to do some homework including

a) pinpoint what genre of music interests you
b) your room size

The source can be computer interfaced with a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter), CD / DVD / SACD Player.

It is better you go for audition and decide/buy the amplifier first and then try it with shortlisted brands of speakers. If you decide to go for brand new one for your stereo setup, then your allocation of funds can be anything like this:
Amplifier - 28000
CD Player - 18000
Speakers - 25000
Cables & ICs - 4000

Hope this has given you an overview of the setup. Just browse through the forum for a particular topic to have in-depth information. All the best.

Regards
Gopinath J

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back