Hello from Ambala

Aviachha

Hi all !
My name is Avijit and I currently live in Delhi.

I'm an AV, Gaming and Tech enthusiast. I've only recently decided to foray into HiFi audio, mostly because I gifted my wife a turntable without doing enough research about what goes into making a decent Audio set-up. So, here I am!

Welcome to the forum! That’s such a thoughtful gift. All you’d need is a phono pre and amplifier. And the requisite cables of coirse. If you state your turntable model, members can guide you on the appropriate electronics and cartridge/ tone arm/ platter upgrades to get maximum out of it. There are a number of threads on the same as well as records, both new and used that you could go through.

Welcome to the forum! That’s such a thoughtful gift. All you’d need is a phono pre and amplifier. And the requisite cables of coirse. If you state your turntable model, members can guide you on the appropriate electronics and cartridge/ tone arm/ platter upgrades to get maximum out of it. There are a number of threads on the same as well as records, both new and used that you could go through.
Thanks for your comment, man! It's a Denon DP29F with a built-in pre amp. For now, I'm looking for a speaker system that will sound good to my untrained ears. Like a Marshall Woburn or a Klipsch The Three. Something versatile that, in a year's time, I can consider upgrading over.
The question I keep coming back to is if to an untrained, amateur ear, a stereo setup is so important? I mean even the Marshall would be a huge upgrade over my JBL Flip 6.

Hi all !
My name is Avijit and I currently live in Delhi.

I'm an AV, Gaming and Tech enthusiast. I've only recently decided to foray into HiFi audio, mostly because I gifted my wife a turntable without doing enough research about what goes into making a decent Audio set-up. So, here I am!

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

The question I keep coming back to is if to an untrained, amateur ear, a stereo setup is so important? I mean even the Marshall would be a huge upgrade over my JBL Flip 6
Training the ear is a journey and is facilitated by decent electronics and speaker. You need to have equipmeny that justify the TT and records you’d purchase to play them on. The Marshall and Klipsch are single box speakers and great for casual listening. But a pair of stereo speakers (active if you want to minimise the clutter and cost) would present music to you the way it was intended to be heard by its creators and sound engineers. A sound stage helps immersion as a result of the spatial placement of the instruments in a way that is much closer to real life listening than even the best of single box speakers can allow. Having said that, the latter can serve the stop gap need of yours, but at a price at which you could get decent entry level active stereo speakers.

Training the ear is a journey and is facilitated by decent electronics and speaker. You need to have equipmeny that justify the TT and records you’d purchase to play them on. The Marshall and Klipsch are single box speakers and great for casual listening. But a pair of stereo speakers (active if you want to minimise the clutter and cost) would present music to you the way it was intended to be heard by its creators and sound engineers. A sound stage helps immersion as a result of the spatial placement of the instruments in a way that is much closer to real life listening than even the best of single box speakers can allow. Having said that, the latter can serve the stop gap need of yours, but at a price at which you could get decent entry level active stereo speakers.
Hey Sachin

Since my introductory post, I've done some more research. Decided to visit a record store here in Delhi and they played me a Bollywood song (Fitoor from Fitoor) on their DP29F connected to an amp and a pair of Tannoy Mercury 7.2 speakers. NGL, I was caught off guard. I did not expect a song that I'd never played myself, only heard in bits and pieces in a cab or at someone else's place, to sound so good! The music filled my ears and I did not want to stop listening. Then I went and tried the Marshall Woburn that I was planning to buy, and surprise! I was disappointed.. to say the least. Nothing about it justified the lofty price tag, not even BT.

So now I'm looking for a good pair of Stereo Speakers and an amp that is kind of future proof (I want to add a video setup some time)
So far, I've considered QA 3030i and the Tannoys that I saw. However I need to know how to choose an amplifier.

Hey Sachin

Since my introductory post, I've done some more research. Decided to visit a record store here in Delhi and they played me a Bollywood song (Fitoor from Fitoor) on their DP29F connected to an amp and a pair of Tannoy Mercury 7.2 speakers. NGL, I was caught off guard. I did not expect a song that I'd never played myself, only heard in bits and pieces in a cab or at someone else's place, to sound so good! The music filled my ears and I did not want to stop listening. Then I went and tried the Marshall Woburn that I was planning to buy, and surprise! I was disappointed.. to say the least. Nothing about it justified the lofty price tag, not even BT.

So now I'm looking for a good pair of Stereo Speakers and an amp that is kind of future proof (I want to add a video setup some time)
So far, I've considered QA 3030i and the Tannoys that I saw. However I need to know how to choose an amplifier.

Good, nothing like first-hand experience! You’ll find sufficient choice in passive speakers. There are some Indian brands of amplifiers (Norge etc) priced reasonably that forum members have good feedback on.

Did you note which amp played the Tannoys? A suggestion: always pick an amp-speaker combo after demoing them together. If not possible, pick the speaker first and then look for a (power and sound wise) matching amp. Don’t do the opposite.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back