Hello Friends..Hope everyone safe out there.

selvaa_pr

Hi Friends,

I am Selvakumar, based out of Chennai. I am a complete newbie to HT world. I am currently using a basic Sony soundbar HT-X8500 for my media entertainment. From the time lock down started, after a stressful day on the work, as a stress buster, I started following few YouTube channels and audiophile sites like Avforums, avsforum. Even though I could get some basics on the home theater gears and acoustics, their references more on the products sold in US regions (which is a heaven for these kind of products). Based out of India and esp. from Chennai, options are limited and those audiophile site inputs are stopping at the technology level and didn't help in the product purchase or recommendations. When I was looking for some good site with users from India, I found this site and went through some of the posts in various aspects. I really don't know, how I missed this site this long.. So, I immediately registered to the site and posting this intro.

I just want to refer on Indian youtube channerl startee following now. Started following Mr. Ravi's youtube channel and his journey of HT build.

Now, come to my requirement, I am in a very confused state and I came here with a hope of getting some great advice from you experts and audiophiles. Even though my living room is a 21 x 14 ft with 8 feet height ceiling, family said no to installing the HT in the living room. But, I don't want to pause my dream and install the HT in my 10 x 10 ft office room for now and move it later to my living room. My budget is around 2.5L. and plan to progressively add the speakers to bring to 7.2.4. I need your advice on gears, purchase options and speaker auditioning techniques..

I wish, my journey on this forum will be a pleasant and memorable one.

Welcome to this forum.
In this forum, you will get best suggestions from this forum.
I have got lot of replies from the foram and its members.

Hi Friends,

I am Selvakumar, based out of Chennai. I am a complete newbie to HT world. I am currently using a basic Sony soundbar HT-X8500 for my media entertainment. From the time lock down started, after a stressful day on the work, as a stress buster, I started following few YouTube channels and audiophile sites like Avforums, avsforum. Even though I could get some basics on the home theater gears and acoustics, their references more on the products sold in US regions (which is a heaven for these kind of products). Based out of India and esp. from Chennai, options are limited and those audiophile site inputs are stopping at the technology level and didn't help in the product purchase or recommendations. When I was looking for some good site with users from India, I found this site and went through some of the posts in various aspects. I really don't know, how I missed this site this long.. So, I immediately registered to the site and posting this intro.

I just want to refer on Indian youtube channerl startee following now. Started following Mr. Ravi's youtube channel and his journey of HT build.

Now, come to my requirement, I am in a very confused state and I came here with a hope of getting some great advice from you experts and audiophiles. Even though my living room is a 21 x 14 ft with 8 feet height ceiling, family said no to installing the HT in the living room. But, I don't want to pause my dream and install the HT in my 10 x 10 ft office room for now and move it later to my living room. My budget is around 2.5L. and plan to progressively add the speakers to bring to 7.2.4. I need your advice on gears, purchase options and speaker auditioning techniques..

I wish, my journey on this forum will be a pleasant and memorable one.
Hi

Welcome to the forum. 10*10 is small and for 2.5L you can set up an excellent 5.2.2 or a 5.1.2 set up. Could you please share your seating position and the room lay out so we can know where you have space to place the speakers and subwoofer. Once we know the placements we can plan on what gears to get for your room.

Hi

Welcome to the forum. 10*10 is small and for 2.5L you can set up an excellent 5.2.2 or a 5.1.2 set up. Could you please share your seating position and the room lay out so we can know where you have space to place the speakers and subwoofer. Once we know the placements we can plan on what gears to get for your room.
Thanks for reply and offer to support. I agree its a small room. But, given my situation, I need to confine myself within that room. If its going to be the 100 sqft room, I would have restricted my speaker selection for that room. But, in a couple of year, when I move my gear to my living room of 2500 cubic ft, I need enough power to fill that. That's the reason, I want to make investment in one time.. If i am not wrong, good speakers can last even for a decade without much issues.ll let me prepare a quick paper drawing and share it.

Thanks for reply and offer to support. I agree its a small room. But, given my situation, I need to confine myself within that room. If its going to be the 100 sqft room, I would have restricted my speaker selection for that room. But, in a couple of year, when I move my gear to my living room of 2500 cubic ft, I need enough power to fill that. That's the reason, I want to make investment in one time.. If i am not wrong, good speakers can last even for a decade without much issues.ll let me prepare a quick paper drawing and share it.
I didn’t mean the room is small in a bad way. What I meant was you can set up an amazing 5.2.2 or 5.1.2 set up for 2.5L in a 10*10 room.

Hi Selvaa, let me know if you might be interested to pick up Dali Zensor series. I have a Zensor 3 which is brand new and was ordered by a fellow member from Amazon and I purchase it from him but kept unused. I also have Zensor 1 for Surrounds and Zensor Vokal for Center.

Let me know if you might be interested...

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Selvaa, let me know if you might be interested to pick up Dali Zensor series. I have a Zensor 3 which is brand new and was ordered by a fellow member from Amazon and I purchase it from him but kept unused. I also have Zensor 1 for Surrounds and Zensor Vokal for Center.

Let me know if you might be interested...

Regards
Rajiv
Thanks for the ask Rajiv. I have just now started my HT journey and I want start of with Towers in my front and matching center. So, I really sorry, I couldn't consider this offer. Hope you don't mind Rajiv.

Thanks for the ask Rajiv. I have just now started my HT journey and I want start of with Towers in my front and matching center. So, I really sorry, I couldn't consider this offer. Hope you don't mind Rajiv.
Towers in a 10x10 room? Unless your devious plan of getting them and clandestinely moving it to the living room, please rethink.
Cheers,
Raghu

I would totally agree with Raghu. In a 10 X 10 room , towers would be overpowering & you won't be able to enjoy them to their full potential. We had Pioneer CS 503 floorstanders long ago in a 14 ft X 11 X 11 room. While the speakers were great, but we could never enjoy them to their full potential as they were too big for the room. Bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer if required would be ideal for that room size imho.

He is thinking about future set up in his big room and planning for towers I think. My suggestion would be go with BS now and In future sell front BS and get towers. So plan on a speakers series that offers both BS and towers.

He is thinking about future set up in his big room and planning for towers I think. My suggestion would be go with BS now and In future sell front BS and get towers. So plan on a speakers series that offers both BS and towers.

He can even use the BS as surround speakers when he plans to shift to his bigger room.

Hi Navin,

From his post on top, I am assuming Selvaa has still not purchased any speakers.

Regards.

By existing I meant in future only.You said he can use the front BS as surrounds when he upgrades to towers.

Yes, absolutely correct when he shifts his setup to his bigger living room.

Last edited:
Yes, absolutely correct when he shifts his setup to a bigger room. Or have one setup in the office & a new one in the house later whenever finances & family permit so all speakers are utilised.
Yeah what I meant was he will be already having surrounds so what will he do with that haha. I think he is going to start with a 5.1 minimum

Sorry I should have been more clear in my explanation. Initially in the office, it can be a 5.1 setup with small rear speakers keeping in mind to be later mounted on the ceiling. Once this setup shifts to the living room in the house, the earlier bookshelf fronts can be used as rear surrounds. The earlier rear surrounds can be mounted on the ceiling. The old fronts can be replaced with towers effectively converting to a 7.1 system. He wants it to be later expanded to a 7.2.4 which can be done keeping timbre matching in mind. So money can be saved by proper planning but he has to keep in mind the requirements of his larger room while buying all the components.

Last edited:
Friends, I was really moved with your pouring inputs and valuable suggestions. I got some critical customer escalation to work on yesterday night. Weekdays usually of very hectic for me. So, please allow me some time to go through all Ur inputs and reply. Thanks friends!!

Back