hello.. world!

kapvin

20130623_015114_zpsb1476f9c.jpg

After MONTHs of procrastination, I finally put together my DIY speakers. This is very much a work in progress, put together to validate the bass alignments.

the Subs are Seas L26ROY courtesy BBW India. in a ~60litre cabinet overdamped bass reflex (tuned to about 22hz) modelled f3 around 25hz and f6 around 20hz.

Mains are Rs225-8s x 2 in an MLTL alignment. modelled f3 around 30hz. MTMWW - my design. you'll get a size reference from my polk audio Rti-A7 on the side.

The grey stuff you see are my pitiful efforts with Automobile putty (lami)

the mains will be all active. currently running passive with a highly inappropriate crossover. good enough for a proof of concept.

waiting for my measuring mic preamp before I do anything further.

Initial impressions

the Seas Drivers really impress. excellent as subs, and can also be used at the bottom of a 3 way.(it's efficient and clean) Am really tempted to do a 3 way TL with them, they model well in relatively small folded box

the mains - well (knowing the limitations of the crossover).. extremely positive.. have sat down and listened to music after a long time.

Next steps

waiting for my measuring mic preamp (usb interface) to get shipped. will get the "n baffle" frequency response measurements

should get started on a basic passive crossover design and then design appropriate filters for the active crossover. While "voicing"" the speakers, i would be really keen to listen to different systems (so mumbaikars, please invite me over)

on the main cabinet, need to do a roundover for the baffle. any suggestions where I can get a 1/2 inch roundover bit to fit an 8mm collet?

am in the process of designing a 3 way centre channel. and then the surrounds.

Hi, Welcome to HFV and Hope you have a great time Doing that DIY that you do !!! A very nice Introduction :)
Have fun!!

Congratts Kapil!!! Visit to ur place is long due!!!

@rud3dawg Kapil os an OLD TIMER - ;)) Very active in Mumbai meets , maybe not a daily posting person but quality posting person!!

Hi, Welcome to HFV and Hope you have a great time Doing that DIY that you do !!! A very nice Introduction :)
Have fun!!

Hi rud3dawg,

thanks for the welcome! I really have not been posting that much, so at least I can take that as a "welcome back" (that "hello.. world"was for my speakers)

@hemantwaghe, yes the visit is long overdue, and we should meet up soon.

this work that I initiated has really dragged and think that comes of putting too many balls (projects) in the air at once.

my car project; my mains speaker project, my sub project; all at the same time meant that each went very slowly and none have been completed. - lesson for me -->do one at a time

car project link - (though I will put a HFV-DIY -relevant thread here when that finishes, including reasons for driver choices, what the response curves look like and other challenges I faced (time coherence in a multiway system for more than 1 seat; how system tonality shifts etc etc)-and my "learnings"from it all
(again waiting for the measurement mic pre-amp)

Optra Magnum Semi DIY ICE install

Hehehe!! ooopsie!!had a feeling your name sounded familiar!!! ;) but I guess didnt think much whilst half asleep :p and yeah that was a welcome back for sure :D

@ Hemanth : Sorry.. a bit of sleep must ve gotten the best of me :p

Hi Kapil,finally the project completed.I will be happy listen to them some other day.
Congrats.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back