Help and suggestions required for selecting a home theatre projector.

Cockpit

I think it will not be wise by any standards to buy a extra lamp that too within a year.

I do not know how can one assume that the mother will live and child will die during the delivery.
It could be the other way round too, the child may live and mother will die.

In other words what if the bulb is working fine but the projector has got some other issues by which it has got spoilt, and the damage may be such, that it is not viable to repair, so it will mean one has to buy a new projector, so what sense will the unused lamp be under such a situation? Are we saying that one should again buy the same model projector, because the lamp is all ready there with us?

Furthermore there are more reasons by which it will not be wise to buy the lamp before hand.

I think it is not a good advice to say that a member should make his own decision keeping in mind that he does not know much about the projector and related aspect, it is always any day better to take advice from forum members who have a projector, and then try to take a call as near as possible in line to suggestions given, and needless to say, if someone is not having a projector, and is still giving crucial advices, then it is nothing short of a air hostess sitting int he cockpit.

V.

Its always a good idea to buy a compatible extra lamp within an year of buying a projector. This way you will not be "forced" to upgrade when first lamp dies out and compatible lamp is not available at that time.

I feel you should make your own decision on whether to go for 720p or 1080p based on your own judgment based on your own personal preference and available viewing environment.

Last edited:
Re: Cockpit

Buying an extra lamp is an overkill. As long as good care is taken of the projector, lamp will last its full life:

- find a permanent resting place for the projector
- if there are frequent power outages in the area or voltage fluctuations, install an online UPS
- frequent dusting and cleaning of the air filters
- cover the projector when not in use - but not before 30 minutes after switching off

My PJ is giving me grand service. I use it at least 8 hours on weekends.

Glory

Very true.

It is a initial craze to watch television via projector, for the glory of bigger image.

The miscarriage will happen sooner then later, where one will never watch the routine television via projector other then rare programmes like sports etc.

V.
From my own experience, I will tell you that watching TV on PJ will be painfull or rather bothersome. PJ is best suited for movies.

Projector

Very true, a TV can never come close to the beaming of a projector, it is like comparing a kid's tricycle to a Nano car.
:licklips:
V.

no TV can come close to the experience of projector. I have 50" plasma samsung 50C6500. I haven't got my projector setup as yet. I am missing it too much. 50" doesn't cut it when you can get 100" with the projector.

Re: Cockpit

I have been using my projector near about daily for movies with no issues, it all depends how you take care of it etc as suggested by fellow members.

On the other hand my data projector, i use it daily on week-days for more then 8 hours.

V.

Buying an extra lamp is an overkill. As long as good care is taken of the projector, lamp will last its full life:

My PJ is giving me grand service. I use it at least 8 hours on weekends.

Please be assured there will be more issues which you have to take care, before you get the good movie viewing experience through projector.

Among them being the placement of speakers so that there is no obstruction to the screen, getting surround at right place and height, type of screen, etc, some of the points have already been tipped in this and other threads by fellow members.

To get a more clearer and practical picture you will have to visit a forum member at your end who has a projector.

It is very important that you get things right.

V.

Now another doubt is how important is it to have a UPS with the projector?

Last edited:
ind a permanent resting place for the projector
- if there are frequent power outages in the area or voltage fluctuations, install an online UPS
- frequent dusting and cleaning of the air filters
- cover the projector when not in use - but not before 30 minutes after switching off

- Would do that.

- Whats the difference between online and regular UPS? Power outrage are a rarity in my area.

- How frequent it should be and how easy is it?

- Covering the projector with a cloth should do the job?

Please be assured there will be more issues which you have to take care, before you get the good movie viewing experience through projector.

Among them being the placement of speakers so that there is no obstruction to the screen, getting surround at right place and height, type of screen, etc, some of the points have already been tipped in this and other threads by fellow members.

To get a more clearer and practical picture you will have to visit a forum member at your end who has a projector.

It is very important that you get things right.

V.

Sound system should not be an issue since I would be getting a Harman Kardon + JBL system and the company person would install it for about 1.5k. Screen I guess glass beaded is a good bet. Rest I would request Mandeep to give me a overview of his setup and share some tips once My room is ready to setup the projector and home theatre. :)

the reason I have the crocodile in my living room - it is easy to operate it due to one box display and sound system.
Even my mom can use it - to let my little daughter watch youtube videos (donald duck!) or play on wii. Earlier, she was too scared to touch the amp/ receiver/ pre-amp and such stuff. Oh yes, even my wife can operate the tv.

Vinay - have you got two projectors set up! Cool!

- Would do that.

- Whats the difference between online and regular UPS? Power outrage are a rarity in my area.

- How frequent it should be and how easy is it?

- Covering the projector with a cloth should do the job?

Online UPS is the one that we use for desktops. In an online UPS, the mains AC is converted to DC which continuously charges the battery. The battery power is fed to to the sine-wave inverter in parallel. The inverter converts the (12V) DC to 230V AC and this is fed to the target device. When the main AC is cut off, the battery continues feeding the inverter without any outage (till the battery dies).

In a home UPS, the mains feeds the output all the time when it is live and charges the battery in parallel. When mains is cut off, the sensor senses that the mains is off and a solenoid (relay) switches from mains to battery. There is a one-two second delay. This delay is of no consequence to general appliances but computers, projectors, etc. switch off instantly. This is an offline UPS.

Cleaning the projector and its filter is easy. The filter cover is conveniently located and can be snapped open. Just pull out and clean gently with a hair drier (blower mode) or a low power vacuum cleaner (those battery powered portable ones used in cars).

Covering the projector with a cloth and monthly cleaning does the job - at least for me. :)

Last edited:
Sound system should not be an issue since I would be getting a Harman Kardon + JBL system and the company person would install it for about 1.5k. Screen I guess glass beaded is a good bet. Rest I would request Mandeep to give me a overview of his setup and share some tips once My room is ready to setup the projector and home theatre. :)

@goyal.sanchit

Dear, you are more than welcome.
Why don't you come and visit my HT Room, that way we can discuss a lot of things.

@Just4kix

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Cleared all the doubts.

@ Mandeep

Thanks for the invite. I would surely like to see your ht setup and get some tips. Where are you based since you mention near chd.

Regards

14 Hours

Indeed TV is a must for most of the house holds. In my case i am very happy that i gave up completely on such medium.

I have 2 projectors mounted on the ceiling and are being used extensively, many a times the data projector is used for a whooping 14 hours.

V.

the reason I have the crocodile in my living room - it is easy to operate it due to one box display and sound system.
Even my mom can use it - to let my little daughter watch youtube videos (donald duck!) or play on wii. Earlier, she was too scared to touch the amp/ receiver/ pre-amp and such stuff. Oh yes, even my wife can operate the tv.

Vinay - have you got two projectors set up! Cool!

Online UPS is the one that we use for desktops. In an online UPS, the mains AC is converted to DC which continuously charges the battery. The battery power is fed to to the sine-wave inverter in parallel. The inverter converts the (12V) DC to 230V AC and this is fed to the target device. When the main AC is cut off, the battery continues feeding the inverter without any outage (till the battery dies).

In a home UPS, the mains feeds the output all the time when it is live and charges the battery in parallel. When mains is cut off, the sensor senses that the mains is off and a solenoid (relay) switches from mains to battery. There is a one-two second delay. This delay is of no consequence to general appliances but computers, projectors, etc. switch off instantly. This is an offline UPS.

Cleaning the projector and its filter is easy. The filter cover is conveniently located and can be snapped open. Just pull out and clean gently with a hair drier (blower mode) or a low power vacuum cleaner (those battery powered portable ones used in cars).

Covering the projector with a cloth and monthly cleaning does the job - at least for me. :)

I have never seen anyone use Online UPS for desktops at home. I think you are confusing the commonly used 'Standby UPS' for PCs with rarely see 'Online UPS'. The usual PC UPS also feed mainline current to PC and switchover to internally generated current only if there is a voltage variation or power cut-off. The only operational difference between Home Inverter and PC UPS is switchover time (which is so small for PC UPS that PC doesn't reboots).
These days even Home Inverters come with options to have such small switchover times, therefore now even PCs can be safely connected with main line backed with such Home Inverters.
Projector can be power-backed with any of the options. Main thing is, it should not get switched off when power cuts off or fluctuates.

Re: 14 Hours

I have 2 projectors mounted on the ceiling and are being used extensively, many a times the data projector is used for a whooping 14 hours.
V.
14 hrs continuously!! You have made me curious :eek: What do you use data projector for at home?

How much would an online ups cost? And which company would you suggest?

And does someone have an idea what would be the switchover time for Optoma projector?

How much would an online ups cost? And which company would you suggest?
And does someone have an idea what would be the switchover time for Optoma projector?
I am assuming you never did use UPS with a desktop PC?
Just buy any microtek/APC PC UPS (Check with your local Inverter/UPS shopkeepers for latest models). Price will vary between 2-4K, I think. Any UPS which can provide safe switchover for PC will be able to provide safe switchover for projector, so don't worry. I think a 600VA UPS will do the job nicely.

I did use a ups with pc but that was long time back. Since 5-6 years have been using laptop only. And I wasn't sure that the switchover time for pc and projector are almost same. Would enquire more from the dealer.

I did use a ups with pc but that was long time back. Since 5-6 years have been using laptop only. And I wasn't sure that the switchover time for pc and projector are almost same. Would enquire more from the dealer.

@goyal.sanchit

Buy

(1) An online UPS at least 1 KVA, Make recommended: Liebert , Dealer recommended: Sinewave Technologies Int., NAC Manimajra, Chandigarh, I am using Liebert online UPS for the past 2 years for my projector, the above dealer's after sales service is also good.

OR

(2) A Line Interactive UPS at least 1 KVA ; Make recommended: APC, Dealer recommended: SEC 40, CHD. I want buy 2KVA APC Line interactive UPS in near future,for rest of my equipment.

Cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back