Help deciding best 4G service provider

Analogous

I frequently use 4G to stream music (Tidal, Spotify) specially while driving.

I currently use Vodafone. I face signal drops and interruptions (occasionally, sometimes frequently)

On asking around I find this is the case with others who use Airtel, BSNL and Jio as well.

I thought I would ask this question in the forum (which provider is best and based on what indicators?)

Consumer rights organisations used to be a good forum to discuss such issues and seek redress all in the past. Are they still functioning?

Mobile network is very area dependent. No single provider will have the same signal strength and signal quality in all the areas. So you need to figure out which provider's signal is best in your area.

I am on Vodafone as well and it's getting worse by the day. I use Jio as my secondary connection and that is a lot better in most areas.

MaSh

So the reality is there is no way for anyone (including TRAI or other regulators) to know if service providers are providing even minimum standard in their services?
Wait, is there even a minimum standard in the contract?
What is the assurance from the government and Telecom ministry that they do a good job? If not why even waste tax payers money on a ministry?

AFAIS the govt is hell bent on wiping out the industry. I am not too sure about AGR dues, but sucking so much is too much. Even Mr Mittal recommended to keep at least 3 competitors ... but to no avail.
If not why even waste tax payers money on a ministry?
Late Mrs Dixit once said "we are here to collect taxes, service or no service". Same rule is followed everywhere. People don't revolt, like in many foreign countries when they come onto streets to protest. Govt does not give a damn to tax payers. Still we elect same persons ... without vision

In most parts of Karnataka, Airtel has decent outdoor coverage (avg 10dn/1up Mbps). Vodafone used to be good, but their service has deteriorated over the last few years. Consider their current financial condition; I won't be surprised if they pull the plug; in the next few months.

If we need better service, service providers need to spend on infrastructure/human resources that translates to an increase in tariff. Better service and low tariffs are mutually exclusive.

Why don't you use a broadband insted GSM.. if you want to stream music in car or on the road then you should think of 4G.

I use only CDs, be it on the car or on home.
I think I mentioned this in my post: 4G for streaming while travelling in my car..
I like being g able to compile playlists (according to mood / whatnot) and use these. When it works it’s really nice (I upgraded the HU, cables , amp, speakers, added insulation) Was feeling frustrated with multiple dropouts of 4G signal interrupting the rapture.

So I understand there is no objective measure to compare 4G services provided by different companies?
Only subjective anecdotal opinions and innuendo?

I think we all are beginning to realise that this approach has not worked well for other services.

Huge revenues from one of the biggest markets in the world and a consumer base that mostly feels they are lucky to get some signal/any signal at all- this must be a happy situation for some?
1628904755058.jpeg
Hope some FM in the telecom industry can explain some deets of how the technical and commercial parts of this business works and why I feel shortchanged?

Also the trend of fewer companies left in the running means a few are going to become incredibly rich and influential (I am not talking about BSNL!)

I remember hearing 4G signals have a range from the tower between 40 and 60km, if in interrupted and not blocked by buildings or hills. Is this true? If so….

I face signal drops and interruptions (occasionally, sometimes frequently)
Are you facing this on an iPhone? I have been facing (as seen on iPhone 6s and 11, on Vodafone and Jio)signal drops with the occasional 'no signal' as the phone tries to connect to 4g tower and fails to fall back to a 3g signal. This is an ongoing issue which started with a buggy iOS update some 12+ months back and still continues. Apple hasn't acknowledged this yet as I see multiple threads on Apple community about this issue across the world.
In my case the issue is not with the cell network, as Androids (Pixel and Samsung) work just fine.

Are you facing this on an iPhone? I have been facing (as seen on iPhone 6s and 11, on Vodafone and Jio)signal drops with the occasional 'no signal' as the phone tries to connect to 4g tower and fails to fall back to a 3g signal. This is an ongoing issue which started with a buggy iOS update some 12+ months back and still continues. Apple hasn't acknowledged this yet as I see multiple threads on Apple community about this issue across the world.
In my case the issue is not with the cell network, as Androids (Pixel and Samsung) work just fine.
It is the case with my current phone - iPhone XS and was the same with the previous one Google Pixel 3
I was not aware of the bugs in the iOS. Will check out the discussion on this. Thanks.

I found this:
Industry Charter for Protecting Consumer Interests: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India​

Mobile network is very area dependent. No single provider will have the same signal strength and signal quality in all the areas. So you need to figure out which provider's signal is best in your area.

I am on Vodafone as well and it's getting worse by the day. I use Jio as my secondary connection and that is a lot better in most areas.

MaSh
correct...find out the best net provider for your area

Since you are from Bangalore, I can share my thoughts. I find Airtel to be better across Bangalore, followed by Jio. Vi has deteriorated and BSNL is patchy within Bangalore. BSNL 3G is way better than Vi though. Once you cross Bangalore border BSNL fairs better than Jio and Vi too. You can try getting a eSim from Airtel while being on Vi (so that you can use both in your iPhone) to try out before porting the number.

Since you are from Bangalore, I can share my thoughts. I find Airtel to be better across Bangalore, followed by Jio. Vi has deteriorated and BSNL is patchy within Bangalore. BSNL 3G is way better than Vi though. Once you cross Bangalore border BSNL fairs better than Jio and Vi too. You can try getting a eSim from Airtel while being on Vi (so that you can use both in your iPhone) to try out before porting the number.
Thank you. This is a good suggestion. I will do as you suggest.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back