Help! Despair over AV receiver purchase for the last 6 months

BudgetListener

Hello good people,

Somewhat long story. The AV bug caught me in 2017. I purchased a Benq projector in 2017 and coupled it with a Samsung floor-standing 2.2 powered speakers for a long time. Post the lockdown towards the end of 2020, I planned to upgrade my audio setup. Since the AV receivers prices were high (I had been tracking the prices for a while), I went with pre-owned ones. I found a pretty good deal for an Onkyo receiver on Olx. I visited this person, late-40s with two grown kids. He was cordial and nothing looked fishy. I purchased the receiver and then ordered a pair of bookshelf speakers which was supposed to arrive 2 days later. The receiver + 2.0 setup worked fine. I was overjoyed. I added a center speaker of the same brand and then purchased a Polk HTS12. Everything was fine until I purchased surround speakers and connected them. Something was wrong. The left and right surround speakers always played the same sound even in the test tones. Even the AV receiver setup white noise would come from both the speakers in surround right, nothing would come when set to surround left. I was stupid and I did not even know about this way of testing receivers at that time, so I trusted this guy. I called him back and he refused to take it back. I sensed something fishy and researched further. Turns out he had posted an ad on Olx mentioning this issue a week ago, but had deleted it and then posted a new ad without a mention of the issue. I confronted him about this and he simply refunded 2000 bucks via Gpay and refused to take his receiver back. A lesson learned the hard way.

This AV receiver worked fine for 4 months and then died. It was a pretty old model so repairing it seems out of question. Now I started looking for brand new receivers and zeroed in on either Denon's X1600H or 2700H. This has been even more frustrating for me. Dealers here in Bangalore do not want to sell just the receiver at recent prices mentioned in the posts here unless you purchase "speakers and receiver packages" from them. Even sellers who members here have mentioned have given great deals refused that they have ever given such low prices (e.g. Pratham Arora AV shack quoted a final price of 60K for 1600H two months ago). ProFx Bangalore does not even budge from 67,000 for 1600H which is ridiculous, to be honest. Indiamart throws some shady unknown dealers and I do not want to risk getting burned again with a lemon or gray market product.

Now I am sitting with a 5.1 speaker package but without an AV receiver to power them. I would be glad if members here can help me out with a legitimate dealer where you got a good deal. Thank you.

AVR prices are ridiculous these days. The trend will only rise I believe. Used route is better. But you already have a bad experience. Keep an eye on our classifieds section.

Also, check with Mr. Anil @ Hifimart. He's reasonable and definitely won't force you to get the speakers, too.

Hello good people,

Somewhat long story. The AV bug caught me in 2017. I purchased a Benq projector in 2017 and coupled it with a Samsung floor-standing 2.2 powered speakers for a long time. Post the lockdown towards the end of 2020, I planned to upgrade my audio setup. Since the AV receivers prices were high (I had been tracking the prices for a while), I went with pre-owned ones. I found a pretty good deal for an Onkyo receiver on Olx. I visited this person, late-40s with two grown kids. He was cordial and nothing looked fishy. I purchased the receiver and then ordered a pair of bookshelf speakers which was supposed to arrive 2 days later. The receiver + 2.0 setup worked fine. I was overjoyed. I added a center speaker of the same brand and then purchased a Polk HTS12. Everything was fine until I purchased surround speakers and connected them. Something was wrong. The left and right surround speakers always played the same sound even in the test tones. Even the AV receiver setup white noise would come from both the speakers in surround right, nothing would come when set to surround left. I was stupid and I did not even know about this way of testing receivers at that time, so I trusted this guy. I called him back and he refused to take it back. I sensed something fishy and researched further. Turns out he had posted an ad on Olx mentioning this issue a week ago, but had deleted it and then posted a new ad without a mention of the issue. I confronted him about this and he simply refunded 2000 bucks via Gpay and refused to take his receiver back. A lesson learned the hard way.

This AV receiver worked fine for 4 months and then died. It was a pretty old model so repairing it seems out of question. Now I started looking for brand new receivers and zeroed in on either Denon's X1600H or 2700H. This has been even more frustrating for me. Dealers here in Bangalore do not want to sell just the receiver at recent prices mentioned in the posts here unless you purchase "speakers and receiver packages" from them. Even sellers who members here have mentioned have given great deals refused that they have ever given such low prices (e.g. Pratham Arora AV shack quoted a final price of 60K for 1600H two months ago). ProFx Bangalore does not even budge from 67,000 for 1600H which is ridiculous, to be honest. Indiamart throws some shady unknown dealers and I do not want to risk getting burned again with a lemon or gray market product.

Now I am sitting with a 5.1 speaker package but without an AV receiver to power them. I would be glad if members here can help me out with a legitimate dealer where you got a good deal. Thank you.
Are you open to any dealer from Kolkata if he can ship to your place?
I had a pre-owned x1400h for last 2.5 years which I traded for a new and sealed x1600h last week for a very good price. I was looking for a x2700h but procurement was an issue. He is a reputed dealer in Kolkata for many years and many forum members have bought their gears from him. Please let me know if you are fine. I can send you his contact details.

He also has Tone Winner AT300 if you can increase your budget.

Hello good people,

Sad to hear about the bitter experience. Onkyo is known to have issues for years and hence I have never ventured to that brand at all. Also there are dealers and even decent individuals who sell over olx. I have most of the times purchased from OLX after checking everything and closing a cash deal. Likewise whenever I sold my old stuff for an upgrade, always insist that the buyer checks everything and closes the deal. Infact when it comes to AVRs, a full demo of all functions even HDMI ports etc is provided by me and I also follow the same when I purchase something preowned.

Currently AVRs are priced too high, dealers blame stock issues and hence hiked the prices to the roof! I had emailed Marantz US and asked them if any such issues, they said production is normal. So wondering any specific backdoor plans on with dealers and APAC region suppliers to make maximum profits since all want to recover from the pandemic loss?

Are you open to any dealer from Kolkata if he can ship to your place?
I had a pre-owned x1400h for last 2.5 years which I traded for a new and sealed x1600h last week for a very good price. I was looking for a x2700h but procurement was an issue. He is a reputed dealer in Kolkata for many years and many forum members have bought their gears from him. Please let me know if you are fine. I can send you his contact details.

He also has Tone Winner AT300 if you can increase your budget.
Please do share the contact Barun, at this moment I am simply looking for a vetted dealer who can ship at reasonable prices. Thank you so much.

AVR prices are ridiculous these days. The trend will only rise I believe. Used route is better. But you already have a bad experience. Keep an eye on our classifieds section.

Also, check with Mr. Anil @ Hifimart. He's reasonable and definitely won't force you to get the speakers, too.
Yes, I did check with Mr. Anil twice in the past few months, he said it was not in stock. Thank you.

Even sellers who members here have mentioned have given great deals refused that they have ever given such low prices (e.g. Pratham Arora AV shack quoted a final price of 60K for 1600H two months ago). ProFx Bangalore does not even budge from 67,000 for 1600H which is ridiculous, to be honest.
Yeah, that's the current running price; if you are super lucky, you can probably get one for 55K. 1600H used to retail for 47K back in 2020. Prices are right now highly inflated.

If your budget is not permitting X1600H, why not go for an entry level model like Denon X550BT or Pioneer VSX-534 (I own this one).

You'll lose out on Atmos capability, so you need to decide whether Atmos is important for you. Network receiver capability can be added for cheap using a Raspberry Pi or Fire Stick at a later date.

If your budget is not permitting X1600H, why not go for an entry level model like Denon X550BT or Pioneer VSX-534 (I own this one).

You'll lose out on Atmos capability, so you need to decide whether Atmos is important for you. Network receiver capability can be added for cheap using a Raspberry Pi or Fire Stick at a later date.
Thank you, I will check the Pioneer one. I was inclining on the Denon 1600/2700 more for the audyssey and future-proofing for Atmos. More than the budget it is more about getting it from a vetted dealer at the same reasonable prices that fellow FMs are getting in the last couple of months.

ProFx Bangalore does not even budge from 67,000 for 1600H which is ridiculous, to be honest.
Would you not prefer sourcing a product from a reputed dealer versus one that isn't?
Pro FX isn't some small shack dealer. They've been in business for close to 20 years. There isn't a more vetted dealer around than these guys. Besides; if something were to break, you have someone you can fall back on, versus, someone who just imports AV products for the sake of sales and no after sales support.

Yes, Pro Fx prices are inflated. Little you can do about that. The extra you pay gives you some peace of mind versus not having any.
You need to decide whether paying more for a genuine or legit product is better versus burning your fingers (again). I'd pick the former.
I am not implying that you throw away your hard earned money. We all love a good bargain but when that bargain isn't available, anywhere, there is not much you can do.

I'll go used only under one condition. The seller allows you to sample the product and then pay for it.

Pro FX isn't some small shack dealer. They've been in business for close to 20 years. There isn't a more vetted dealer around than these guys. Besides; if something were to break, you have someone you can fall back on, versus, someone who just imports AV products for the sake of sales and no after sales support.
+1
They are one of two official Denon importers (another one is PTC) here. All the service/spare request goes via them in this region. That said, chances are pretty high that they will help you with support/spare if anything goes wrong better than anyone else.

Hello good people,

If you are willing to wait till prices stabilize, you can run your show with a audio extractor. Found a link on Amazon:

All you need is cheap amplifiers (stereo/mono) to connect and run full 7.1/5.1. Once prices stabilize pick up a AVR of your choice. If you want to skip the above gadget try running a 5.1 setup with your existing PC if any. Most sound cards give analog 5.1 out from PC. Connect a couple of amps and you have a full modular system (stop gap).

@BudgetListener
Pay a visit to Modern World in Domlur and speak to Aqeel, the owner.
I‘ve been purchasing TVs, AV receivers, bd players, ACs, fridges, etc from him for the past 20 years. He provides honest advice and great service.

If you are willing to wait till prices stabilize, you can run your show with a audio extractor. Found a link on Amazon:

All you need is cheap amplifiers (stereo/mono) to connect and run full 7.1/5.1. Once prices stabilize pick up a AVR of your choice. If you want to skip the above gadget try running a 5.1 setup with your existing PC if any. Most sound cards give analog 5.1 out from PC. Connect a couple of amps and you have a full modular system (stop gap).
Some pretty interesting ideas here. Will surely explore these as a backup if nothing else works out. Thank you.

Hello good people,

Sent you message with contact details. Hope it helps.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back