Help - Feedback on how to enhance my sound

hnupe3

Below is a list of my equipment, please give me thoughts on what I should add or replace? Also, would anytime of Amp assist in great sound?

Receiver: Marantz SR6012
2 Episode ES-500-Point-6 Ceiling Speakers (Dolby Atmos)
2 Revel Ceiling Speakers (Dolby Atmos)
3 Episode ES-700-IWLCR-5 In-Wall Dual woofer Speakers (Front under Screen)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Speakers (Rear)
Episode ES-Sub-12-300 Subwoofer (1 of 2 Subwoofers)
Klipsch R-10SW(2 of 2 Subwoofers)
Projector: Epson 5040UB
Rack – Watt Box WB-400-8
Sony UBP-X800 4k Player
Harmony Elite
Ipad Mini – Dedicated for Home Cinema Room
PS4
Xbox One S
Apple TV - 4k
DirecTV
Fire Stick​

What seems to be missing for you? Also can you tell me how big is this room?

What seems to be missing for you? Also can you tell me how big is this room?
I am not sure what is missing, based on what I have I was curious on what others suggest I should add? Like an Amp.

Attachments

• HT 1.jpg
    HT 1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 37
  • HT6.jpg
    HT6.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo Jul 17.jpeg
    Photo Jul 17.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 38
Nice room.Looks well done. The only thing I can suggest is there is no room treatment done, unless it is well hidden within the decor. check reflection points everywhere. else the room seems pretty empty. some others can recommend absorbers/ diffusers stuff like that. Well done on the room. looks fun.

Congratulation on your superbly done HT room. You have impressive line of gears there.

Something missing in HT setup is generally comes from missing bass or unclear center channel.
Adding bass trap may help to increase bass and adding few absorbers at first reflection points can clear up dialogues.

Have fun.

Below is a list of my equipment, please give me thoughts on what I should add or replace? Also, would anytime of Amp assist in great sound?​
Receiver: Marantz SR6012​
2 Episode ES-500-Point-6 Ceiling Speakers (Dolby Atmos)​
2 Revel Ceiling Speakers (Dolby Atmos)​
3 Episode ES-700-IWLCR-5 In-Wall Dual woofer Speakers (Front under Screen)​
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Speakers (Rear)​
Episode ES-Sub-12-300 Subwoofer (1 of 2 Subwoofers)​
Klipsch R-10SW(2 of 2 Subwoofers)​
Projector: Epson 5040UB​
Rack – Watt Box WB-400-8​
Sony UBP-X800 4k Player​
Harmony Elite​
Ipad Mini – Dedicated for Home Cinema Room​
PS4​
Xbox One S​
Apple TV - 4k​
DirecTV​
Fire Stick​

You have decent / Good gear.....run set up again and try different content....sometimes its the quality of content being played back which is the culprit

As others have said, you have a nice set of equipment. If you are trying to fix any gaps, you would need to realize those yourself and mention them here. Only then can others suggest or advice on whats possibly not gelling in with the others.

MaSh

Below is a list of my equipment, please give me thoughts on what I should add or replace?

I see you have some space around your screen also you have in-wall LCR speakers, you can think of Acoustic transparent screen.. May be a bigger screen would be good, provided your projector also has the capability of projecting bigger image..

Something missing in HT setup is generally comes from missing bass or unclear center channel.
Adding bass trap may help to increase bass and adding few absorbers at first reflection points can clear up dialogues.

Red bold sentence - please explain your reasoning.

Red bold sentence - please explain your reasoning.
Due to phase reversal, bass frequencies get cancelled out before even it reaches your ears. This is called destructive interference.
If you use bass trap to tame the bass frequencies and restrict them to reflect back in the room in reversed phase, this will help the listener to perceive better bass response directly from the speakers with less cancellation.

Below is a list of my equipment, please give me thoughts on what I should add or replace? Also, would anytime of Amp assist in great sound?​
Receiver: Marantz SR6012​
2 Episode ES-500-Point-6 Ceiling Speakers (Dolby Atmos)​
2 Revel Ceiling Speakers (Dolby Atmos)​
3 Episode ES-700-IWLCR-5 In-Wall Dual woofer Speakers (Front under Screen)​
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 Speakers (Rear)​
Episode ES-Sub-12-300 Subwoofer (1 of 2 Subwoofers)​
Klipsch R-10SW(2 of 2 Subwoofers)​
Projector: Epson 5040UB​
Rack – Watt Box WB-400-8​
Sony UBP-X800 4k Player​
Harmony Elite​
Ipad Mini – Dedicated for Home Cinema Room​
PS4​
Xbox One S​
Apple TV - 4k​
DirecTV​
Fire Stick​

Hello,

You have told us what you have. But you have not told us why you feel the need to 'enhance' the sound.
Not for the sake of pointing out something, but here are two things that quickly come to mind after going through posts # 1 and 3:

1. Picture is Up. Sound is Down.
I would get an acoustic transparent screen and install the L-C-R speakers at 1/3 the screen height, measured from the top, behind the screen. That is where the lip movement happens, most of the time. In a living room with TV you can't do this. But with a dedicated room with screen, I would like to hide the speakers. In your case, being white/ creme, they may even be distracting. This will also make it feel more like a movie theater!

2. Screen height from the floor: ( I am making a judgment looking at the pictures. So kindly excuse me if I am off on this)
When you sit on the chair, the person with bi-focal lenses should be able to see the bottom of the screen with his upper part (not the reading part) of his specs. This may be un-published rule, but I have followed it always! Else, poor 40+ year old audience, with bifocal glasses will have a blurred bottom, always!

3. Speaker sensitivities (I am saying this knowing that you have auto-calibrate and Audyssey):
More the variety of speakers you install, the more variance in sound you will get.

I would still like to know why you feel the need to 'enhance' the sound.
e.g. Take a movie part and describe how it sounds. What you like, what you don't. Do the same with a TV programme. Then the same with a song.
Then the same with music. May be you have to do it over and over again.
If your problem is identifying the base line, then let me suggest you something: Listen to the content on decent, neutral headphones carefully, over and over again till you sort of have it memorized. Then compare it with what you hear in the room. You will get most of the discrepancies, if not all.

As mentioned by others, you have to help us to help you.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello again,

Couldn't help notice a couple more things:

1. The two lights before the screen are killing. Shift them to the walls. All will, but elder people will suffer most.

2. What material have you used to line the side walls and ceiling? Is it felt? Excuse me, as I only have pictures for reference.
If it is felt, then it doesn't matter what's underneath it, it will make the mids and highs bright making the sound 'hit' you at high volumes.

I believe that the side wall and ceiling treatment can be identified as the single most parameter/ component that could 'enhance' or damage your sound.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello again,

Couldn't help notice a couple more things:

1. The two lights before the screen are killing. Shift them to the walls. All will, but elder people will suffer most.

2. What material have you used to line the side walls and ceiling? Is it felt? Excuse me, as I only have pictures for reference.
If it is felt, then it doesn't matter what's underneath it, it will make the mids and highs bright making the sound 'hit' you at high volumes.

I believe that the side wall and ceiling treatment can be identified as the single most parameter/ component that could 'enhance' or damage your sound.

Regards, t

Ravindra.

The Side Walls and ceiling is traditional dry wall. I just added bass traps and room treatment that is currently not shown in the attached pictures.

As far as enhance my sound....everything sounds great. I am always of the mindset that there is more that can be done but I don't know what I don't know...if that makes sense?

The Side Walls and ceiling is traditional dry wall. I just added bass traps and room treatment that is currently not shown in the attached pictures.

As far as enhance my sound....everything sounds great. I am always of the mindset that there is more that can be done but I don't know what I don't know...if that makes sense?

You have done a good job with your room. My intention was to highlight things that one looks at when building a home theater, taking your set-up photos as reference. I had no intentions to pick on your set up. I hope you understand that.

If your system sounds good, then it is important that you settle down with it, enjoy it with your family and not keep nudging it, constantly.

Here is my million dollar suggestion that I am giving to you for free: Baseline the sound with respect to your favorite headphone, never with how it sounds with some other set-up.

Good luck and happy listening!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back