Help for Buying Speakers

pawan2012

Dear Friends, Hello, this is my first time here,
I am Pawan from Gurgaon, Haryana, India, on my recent visit to Hongkong i bought Marantz Receiver 5006, although did,nt kow much about it, but i did some search on inernet and was convinced to buy the same by the seller at the Audio Shop in Hk.
I have a room of size 20 feet by 16 feet, and i want to buy speakers for the Marantz Receiver, and please advise if there is anything else required for this equipment to enable superior quality sound, will appreciate any info, thanks in advance,
and Wish all a very happy new year,
Regards,
Pawan

productdetails.aspx

Attachments

• L_SR5006_N-U-K_B_fr_000J.jpg
    L_SR5006_N-U-K_B_fr_000J.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 260
whats your budget and listening habits. do you want surround sound or stereo

Marantz can pair well with Monitor audio.You can let us know your budget & preference.

hi, Spirovious and Afj, thanks for replying, the budget is not decided yet, but i think i can go upto 50-60k or maybe little bit further high, provided i get quality worth spending that kind of money on, if i get something for 20-30k it is also good, but if i really like something i can extend upto 50-60k.
i listen to all kinds, mostly Musicals like Karunesh, Prem Joshua (i don't know what they are called maybe fusion), sometimes Bonjovi, Bryan Adams + Live music and Instruments like Brian Silas etc.
To be honest i am totally naive about surround or stereo, i was getting my house renovated so i asked the electrician to fit four speaker wires on each corners under the walls, so that there are no wires visible on the walls, and then picked up this Marantz 5006 on my visit to HK last month end, i listen to music quiet often so i thought i owed myself a good system, to be honest i feel my Macbook pro + small Mini speakers also have never given any trouble and were always a pleasure to listen.

i have a Samsung 5.1 home theater system also in my room, which is kept under the box as i don't know if it is worth using the receiver on, the home theater box says it has 600 watt RMS, also wanted to know if u hv any idea how to connect the same to the receiver.

One more observation, i bought a Monster HDMI cable sometime bk and used it with my player today for the first time, and i was surprised to see the difference from the ordinary cable, it was clearly evident and very impressive, any idea where in Gurgaon, Delhi or India can we buy the Monster HDMi cables, as this receiver has so many slots for the HDMI cables, do u think using Wii on a better HDMI cable will improve the quality for Wii also.

Is there a possibility that a professional could come and hook up the system.

Thanks in advance, i know it is quiet elaborate, but then things u don't know and r not sure r always confusing!!!!

hi, everyone i went to a mall today, liked two kind of speaker systems, one was Elac Details as follows:
FS 58.2, nice sound quality
Rear BS 53.2
Sub woofer Sub 50
Centre CC51.2.

Another one was Klipsch Company Model F10 Series.

I must say my budget has stretched now, i liked the speakers and was convinced by the shop manager/owners that for a good Speaker system i will have to shell out minimum approx 1,00,000/- Rs, or maybe 1,50-1,75/- seems like that's the way to go then.

Any feedback and help in deciding the music Speaker system, + now i have decided to buy the projector system, (the Display of Pearl Harbor on the projector shown to me fully blew me away) i am looking at Mitsubishi HC 4000 series for that now, any suggestions, and kind guidance is sought to proceed further from Senior lot here,
Thanks in advance,
Pawan

As said earlier,try to take Demo of Monitor audio,Q acoustic,Dali,Kef Q series.
Paradigm sounds very good with marantz,but BS can be costly.

hi pawan
i second spirivious list of speakers. depending on your budget you can also check out wharefedale diamonds and usher s521. both of these will be in a lower price range.

if you mostly listen to music then i would suggest you go for a stereo set up i.e. 2 front speakers. the monitor audio silver series rx2 bookshelves will go nicely with the marantz. if its more for movies that you want to watch and want the surround sound effect then the wharfedales may be a better option

for a newbie there are two issues to consider apart from the obvious
1. pairing of a system - the amp and speakers should be in harmony together and sound well. each may be good on their own but put together may not sound good. its imp to listen to the set up together before you buy. i suggest you carry your amp with you for auditions
2. each to his ears - each product / system has its own sound signature. they may not necessarily be good or bad but will suit personal tastes. so buy something that sounds good to your ears and dont just go by brands and specs

all the best

Me 2 looking in the same range, check out the wharf dale as aft said but also check their evo signature series... Nice...

I am rolling dice still between egos / psb / B&w ...

Hi All

I am looking to set-up the system where I would be going for the speakers first, then the AV receiver and lastly the DVD player (open to suggestions for changing the pecking order)

For Speakers, I am essentially looking for Bookshelfs and being in Mumbai (which rules out 'Jamo'), I'm looking at PSB and B&W.

-> On overall cost level, which one (PSB and B&W) is on the higher side?

-> What is the difference between the various ranges/ series in:
1) PSB namely Synchrony, Imagine, Image and Alpha along with their respective costs?

2) B&W namely Nautilus, 800 Series Diamond, PM1, CM Series and 600 Series along with their respective costs?

-> Being short on the awareness of other brands/ makes, would love to have the inputs on other names in the market which i can shortlist for the auditions, given that i have a budget of ~50k

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Pawan/Czar

Add Epos & Modaunt Short to the list that Spiro had mentioned and probably Dali too.

IMHO these would be better and more musical than the ones you have auditioned and I do not believe you need to spend 100k or 150k to get good speakers.

Audition these and you would end up loving one of these and I am sure all these can be auditioned in Delhi. If you need any help finding the place to audition any particular brand check the brands website and look for the dealers for delhi/Mumbai and give them a call.

@Pawan

At the budget of 50k I would request you to avoid B&W since the B&W's budget range aint that impressive. PSB would be a really good choice in your budget so would the other brands mentioned in this post and spiros.

Last edited:
For a budget of 50K, get Tannoy HTS-101. You will be hard pressed to find a better value for money in that range. I can tell you two good dealers in Delhi - Xsys (Varun - 9873400035), April (Prabhjeet - 9999199889).

Ofcourse, my recommendation is only from the standpoint of a good economical Home Theatre setup. If you want to double up your system as a music setup also, a Jamo setup with Marantz is hard to beat in that range. I had owned Jamo E530s for a long time, excellent detail and clarity. There is an advertisement in this months AV MAX or What Hifi of a Jamo HT speakers setup for 30K with front floorstanders and small bookshelf surrounds. The model was S426 I think.

Last edited:
Dear Thanks a lot, i recently met someone on internet and then met him in real in Bangalore saw the speakers, they sounded good and he gave me an offer that i could buy brand new packed Compact Wz 5 series speakers, MK 2, for 90,000 Rs a pair, i read the review on the following site as follows grant, and it says it costs around 4000-4500 $,
but wanted to know from someone if it is worth spending that kind of money on these 2 speakers, kindly inform if u have heard any of these speakers, the guy informed me he cud get me Compact WZ1 series speaker pair as well, price not quoted yet, do u suggest going for these speakers or do u have something else in mind, will appreciate ur advise, thanks in advance, bye, Pawan

Oh the PM was about this thread! Sorry, I may not have replied clearly in the PM. Now, like I said, if it sounds good to your ears, close your eyes and take it. However, the speakers mentioned by you seem like a cracking bargain - do check eveything before you get them. Having said, the true potential from those kind of speakers will not be realized from the Marantz SR5004. You will need good Integrated or pre-power for those.

And, the Jamo S426 is featured in What Hi Fi January 2012 and is priced at 22K for the whole setup (no Sub though, but fronts are Tower).

@Pawan

I have never heard about those speakers and I am not an expert on all speaker brands or anything so it could be just me the other members might know abt this brand. But with what I have read on the net the speakers seemed to get favorable reviews but the mftr does not even have a website nor did i see any dealership details listed anywhere.

Since you are spending that much money I would advice you to stick to known brands and known dealers just in case something goes wrong.

I am in no way suggesting that the speakers are bad but there is a big element of risk in putting your money on such brands which does not have a proper dealership in India,especially since you are in Delhi and you have so many good options if you look around. correct me if I am wrong.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back