Help in Buying

Ujjwal.Bhushan

Hi
I am new to this forum.I am looking to establish a Home theatre at my home town in Bihar.
I presently own Benq W1070 as projector,which I bought from Europe.
Need an entry level HT for it. Mostly I will watch movies on it , play games and some music.
My budget is around 30K for HT right now.Will buy a better one once I move out to Lucknow next year.
I have already taken demo of Yamaha HT 196 & 299. Did not like 196 for its very outdated AVR.
299 was good. But nothing so extra ordinary.
Also went for Onkyo 3700 demo today in Delhi and found it good for my taste and listening. Onkyo dealers in Delhi is quoting 31K for it.Read in this forum somewhere that it has Passive SubWoofer.
Want your suggestions if this is too big a flaw for not buying the system?
Is there something else I should look and take Demo?
May you all pls suggest me. I liked the way Onkyo 3700 sounded.Played Hans Zimmer Dark Knight album at max and HT was not shy of being pushed. Should I buy Onkyo 3700?

does this setup come with the avr as well? are you sure its a passive sub? even if it is, if the avr drives it, then it should be fine. listen to it and if you feel its good, then go for it

ps. normally subs come with an inbuilt amplifier to power it. this is known as an active sub. a passive sub comes without an amplifier inbuilt and you will have to drive it with an external amp

If you like it go for it.

Passive sub is not so much of an issue, at least not at this budget.

Do note that it does not decode the latest formats like DTS X and Dolby Atmos.

Onkyo 3700 is good in your budget. 4K enabled, Bluetooth, Zone 2.

Good thing is you can also play flac, WAV & DSD music files through USB.

Go for it if you like the sound. Don't worry much about Active or passive sub as eventually you are going to change the system.

Hi
My budget is around 30K for HT right now.Will buy a better one once I move out to Lucknow next year.
I have already taken demo of Yamaha HT 196 & 299. Did not like 196 for its very outdated AVR.
299 was good. But nothing so extra ordinary.

Want your suggestions if this is too big a flaw for not buying the system?
Is there something else I should look and take Demo?
May you all pls suggest me. I liked the way Onkyo 3700 sounded.Played Hans Zimmer Dark Knight album at max and HT was not shy of being pushed. Should I buy Onkyo 3700?

Hi!
I own the 196 and the 3500 both placed in Audio friendly rooms.
The 196 blows the Onkyo out of competition in every department. Its an awesome system overall. The active sub does make the difference.

I also got the BA A26 playing on a Marantz PM5004 and sometimes on the Onkyo as the front speakers. Also switched to Melodika fronts on the Yamaha system( I am back to the forum after an year).

I would very well suggest starting with a good receiver along with good fronts( < Rs.40000) and upgrade as you want and when the budget allows
I got both my upgraded systems from SoundByDesign Gurgaon, Sid is a gem with audio needs and helped me in getting the right system at an excellent price! Do get in touch with him if you want a good dealer experience.

Thanks
UB.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back