Help in deciding speakers for HT setup

palspurush

Hi All,

i am setting up my HT in my Living room which is 18*12 (~200 sqft).

i am planning to get Yamaha RxV-479 as my Reciever (please let me know dealer from whom i can get in bangalore).

i have 50,000 as my budget for speakers, can exceed by 10k Max.

i had initially thought of getting the Energy take classic 5.1 system from US on amazon, it comes down to around 52K.mainly selected this for its size and sound quality.

Now i have second thoughts if i am overpaying for that 5.1 system, i am also open to a 3.1 system where i can get separate Front speakers(bookshelves also fine), Centre channel speaker and woofer, that can fit into my budget.

i don't want Floorstanders as they are bulky looking.

i watch movies (30%) & music 70%.

i am just torn down on what to get, going over a lot of forums. Please advice me on the best possible approach to build my HT.

Let me know dealers where i can visit and have a demo as well before deciding.

The best approach is to audition as many systems you can within your budget, with the same amplifier that you intend to buy.Don't go for impulse buy, or something that simply looks good on paper(Specs and all).
Also if you have 70% music need than maybe look into a stereo setup instead of 5:1 system. Surround systems can be a headache if its not setup properly and can be muddy sounding or just all over the place. patience is the key factor . bookshelves with a sub sometimes are enough for movie experience.
Your source also plays a vital role. will you be using CD/DVD/Bluray?
The Yamaha reciever is a good one with a decent DAC .
with speakers trust you ears.

Hi

As advised by fellow members, you need to trust your ears and audition systems that appeal to you in appearance, performance, budget etc...start making a short list and share the same so that we can share our opinions ......

There are also ample posts in what should I buy where you can gauge a fair idea....

All the best....take your favorite music and go auditioning....

Hi Palspurush,

Yamaha has release new model RX V 481 with Dolby audio and DTS-HD . check this model if available in india.
Thanks

Hi All,

i am setting up my HT in my Living room which is 18*12 (~200 sqft).

i am planning to get Yamaha RxV-479 as my Reciever (please let me know dealer from whom i can get in bangalore).

i have 50,000 as my budget for speakers, can exceed by 10k Max.

i had initially thought of getting the Energy take classic 5.1 system from US on amazon, it comes down to around 52K.mainly selected this for its size and sound quality.

Now i have second thoughts if i am overpaying for that 5.1 system, i am also open to a 3.1 system where i can get separate Front speakers(bookshelves also fine), Centre channel speaker and woofer, that can fit into my budget.

i don't want Floorstanders as they are bulky looking.

i watch movies (30%) & music 70%.

i am just torn down on what to get, going over a lot of forums. Please advice me on the best possible approach to build my HT.

Let me know dealers where i can visit and have a demo as well before deciding.

If your split is 30% movies and 70% music, then invest in a good pair of stand mount or book shelf speakers. You may buy an AVR for future proofing movie requirements.
Later on you can add the rest of the speakers. You have a big room, so plan your purchases well.
ProFx MG Road deals in Yamaha. You may audition speakers there (polk/KEF). V479 seems to be a well featured AVR; no idea about SQ.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am also looking into getting good pair of Front channels. If you are looking in about 50K to apporx by 55K max. I have found following rates in ahmedabad...

Dali Zensor 5 (about 53k )
Polk audio TSX550 (55K)
Jamo S626 Tower with 8" subs (45K but if you get full S626 5.0 SET it will cost you only 65K, there is one seller on ebay )

After a lot of research have decided to get a floor stander , Which one should i prioritize first , Centre + surrounds or a good sub woofer. i have money to get only either of them.

Regards,
palanivel p

Hi

If you are satisfied with the bass coming from the floor standers then go for the center...else go for the sub

Check classfields here , i going to post ads which contain floorstand speakers

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back