Help me Fix Dual 1229 Tonearm Lift Lever (Cue Lever) Assembly

cybervinay

I have got this Dual 1229 from Bill of Fixmydual and it has been working fine for some time. Lately I started having issues with the Automatic startup. The tonearm will not move to the records. (Its not the pimple :nono:)

Today while operating it the tonearm lift lever just came out. Nothing seems to be broken. All the parts are intact (Photos below)

I am not able to figure out the steps to assmble these parts back. Could not find it in the service manual and nor in the forums. Appreciate if someone can post step by step guide to get these parts back together. Photos of properly working unit would also help. Mine is Dual 1229.

--Vinay

Suggest you take a look at the service manual which can be downloaded from Vinyl Engine. From the looks of it, looks like something has fallen out of place from a mechanism perspective. Please take great care to ensure that you dont bend or de-shape any of the metal plates. Also please ensure that you dont over-stretch any springs that you may come across. These automatics have precision mechanisms and if physical damage occurs, they are likely to never work again. Spare parts are non-existant unless you find someone with a non-functional piece who is willing to give you its parts :)

Dual 1229 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Suggest you take a look at the service manual which can be downloaded from Vinyl Engine. From the looks of it, looks like something has fallen out of place from a mechanism perspective. Please take great care to ensure that you dont bend or de-shape any of the metal plates. Also please ensure that you dont over-stretch any springs that you may come across. These automatics have precision mechanisms and if physical damage occurs, they are likely to never work again. Spare parts are non-existant unless you find someone with a non-functional piece who is willing to give you its parts :)

Dual 1229 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Thanks for the advice and I am aware of delicasy of the parts invloved and their scarcity. I have access to the service manual but assembly of these parts is not covered there.

Someone who has seen it before or with the help of photos from a funcational unit will get enough details to get this started. I am waiting for someone with similar unit on this forum to help with photos. Have sent pm to two forum members already.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice and I am aware of delicasy of the parts invloved and their scarcity. I have access to the service manual but assembly of these parts is not covered there.

Someone who has seen it before or with the help of photos from a funcational unit will get enough details to get this started. I am waiting for someone with similar unit on this forum to help with photos. Have sent pm to two forum members already.

Thanks

Hi,
Contact Prasad(Quad)on this forum.He has recently built a Dual.He will be able to help you.

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks

Thanks, please keep us posted on the progress, possibly with pics.

I think I have got this taken care of. Spent some time holding the parts in various combinations and finally figured it out. Tough part was to figure out the spring orientation.

I will post some picture and a video soon for the benefit of other people here.

Good you got it fixed. I was away from my mail all day, and just
responded to your PM. I have some pics which I'll mail you for you
to cross check your fix.

That looks correct to me. Very nice Dual 1229.
Hope your autostart problem got fixed with a new steurpimpel.
You can make one with 5mm of the inner insulation of a cable TV coax cable.

Vinay,
Good to know your Dual is back and working again. Could you please post a pic (unable to see video, will check back at home) ? Do you have the Wooden box or the acrylic one?

Dual 1229 came with a wooden base. Actually, the US version supplied
by United Audio came with a rather cheap particle board base. These
have a painted black stripe on the front.
The original Dual made 1229 base is supposed to be better, with a flip down
front, to store all accessories. This Euro version 1229 has a metal silver
band across the front of plinth with Dual label on the left side.
The United Audio version also didn't have the additional
lead chassis-resonance deadening plates, which are present in the Euro one.

Dual 1229 came with a wooden base. Actually, the US version supplied
by United Audio came with a rather cheap particle board base. These
have a painted black stripe on the front.
The original Dual made 1229 base is supposed to be better, with a flip down
front, to store all accessories. This Euro version 1229 has a metal silver
band across the front of plinth with Dual label on the left side.
The United Audio version also didn't have the additional
lead chassis-resonance deadening plates, which are present in the Euro one.

Yes correct, Mine is also wooden Plinth with Acrylic Top.
My base has started getting cracked from one of the joints and also the MDF base on which it sits is also cracking due to the weight and continuous pop in and out of the base.

I am planning a full wood jointless Plinth. Just getting minor things fixed first.

I think I have figured out the Auto problem also. Will post some pictures later in the week. Stay tuned.

--Vinay Arora

While working on my TT, I was always worried of damaging
the tonearm and/or it's bearings, while having the TT upside down.

Then I used the tip someone posted on AK and found a plastic bowl with
very similar dimension to the round recess under the platter.
Tape the bowl upside down into the recess and then flip the
turntable over and rest it on the bowl.
Take care not to rest the bowl on the end-of-record arm. If reqd, you can cut
a notch in the bowl, around that arm. This arm is the shiny metal strip you see when
you remove the platter.

Last edited:
My base has started getting cracked from one of the joints and also the MDF base on which it sits is also cracking due to the weight and continuous pop in and out of the base.

I am planning a full wood jointless Plinth. Just getting minor things fixed first.

I think I have figured out the Auto problem also. Will post some pictures later in the week. Stay tuned.

--Vinay Arora

Good - hope you fix the auto issue. It troubled me a good bit, esp as I
had disassembled the tonearm mechanism to replace the silicone oil
in the damper cylinder. Getting it all aligned together was a right royal pain.

About the new plinth, there is a cutout diagram available for the
masonite hardboard. It should be there on vinylengine. You can do
much better than the old base now, like going fully acrylic etc.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back