Help me on high treble through AV Receiver

kiddy

Hi guys!!
I just joined to day and really need some help on my existing system.

I have got below
1) Sony BDP 570- Blue ray
2) Onkyo 708( 7.2 channels)
3) Def Tech Pro cinema 1000(5.1)

I like hi treble when liseting to to music.
Even though, my treble on AV Receiver is max, i do not get tht High pitch sound through speakers.

Cany any one advice me on how to increase treble or should I go for an additional pair of tweeters. There is an additional channel(Front High) available on the AV Receiver.
Can I use this channel to connect tweeter? What brand? My budget is around 15-20K for this purpose.

Thnks

Kiddy

Hi guys!!

I have got below

Even though, my treble on AV Receiver is max, i do not get tht High pitch sound through speakers.

Cany any one advice me on how to increase treble or should I go for an additional pair of tweeters. There is an additional channel(Front High) available on the AV Receiver.
Can I use this channel to connect tweeter? What brand? My budget is around 15-20K for this purpose.

Thnks

Kiddy

Connect an equalizer between your BDp and AVR (connect using RCA jack) and control the treble through the equalizer.

There is a equaliser in ur onkyo in speaker setting,u can tune it up +6 db,increase the 16000khz to +6 db ,treble will increase,u can increase the high frequencies in the setting to get the desired sound mate.....

Usually ONKYO AVR has lesser treble than Yamaha OR Denon.Try changing spk wires too.
It may work.

if youre looking for a big jump in treble small tweaks wont really work too much. audition a set of tweaters on your amp to see if it can improve

I agree with Viveks suggestion , eqlzr is a fine solution to control the treble and other tiny improvements....Contact our forum member rohitt he has a few eqlzrs....

Hi,

I bought new DOD 830 Series II graphic equalizer in 15k.........IMO its good........but please do remember if you "enhance treble" too much.......chances of blowing your tweeter increases.........so you have to be very careful while "playing with the equalizer"

ftp://ftp.dod.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/Misc/EQ manual.pdf

This is the best graphic equalizer I have used till date........other being Pioneer / kenwood.

Also try to listen / download songs which are atleast 320 kbps as the recording is better than 128 kbps.........its personal suggestion.

Inder

Kiddy, if you don't mind my saying it, I think you are going about this in the wrong way.

At the outset you are getting confused between channel and frequency. A channel is a sort of pipe through which certain parts of the music or sound is sent. In stereo you have two channels, in 5.1 you have six, and in 7.1 you have eight.

All channels will carry a fully spectrum of frequencies excepting what is called the LFE. LFE is limited to carrying something like 250Hz and below and this can be adjusted through what is called a crossover.

What you are looking for is high treble and this is a frequency. Something like 6kHz and above. If you add a few tweeter and connect one 'channel' all you will get is distortion as the tweeter will a get a much higher range of frequencies than it can handle. Secondly you also would be cutting off the sound to a genuine speaker set that is set up to handle that channel.

The best way to handle this is through the AVR controls where you set up the frequency range of certain speakers. In some AVRs you also have a equalizer through which you can control what frequencies go to which speaker.

The second way to handle this is to get a pair of speakers that are brighter than what you have.

The third way is what has been suggested above. Use a graphic equalizer in your chain.

Directly connecting tweeter without managing the crossover properly is a very bad idea.

Cheers

I fully agree with Venkar Sir.

The speakers (specially tweeters quality) also matter a lot along with the song's recording quality.

Venkat Sir........i think he also need to check his songs recording............as he loves treble......IMO... songs recorded at at least 320 kbps would sound "brighter" and may be he wont need graphic equalizer after he is done with setting AVR's equalizer frequencies & matched up with good / brighter speakers.......if still need to have a better sound then last thing would be to buy a graphic equalizer.......

Inder

Connect an equalizer between your BDp and AVR (connect using RCA jack) and control the treble through the equalizer.

I am confused: How do you connect the equalizer between BDP and AVR?? I think this sony BDP has 2.0 analog outs and not 5.1/7.1. hence, our friend has to use HDMI to output 5.1 channels to AVR either compressed or uncompressed.

If he plans to connect the equalizer through 2.0 analog, then he is going to miss the remaining channels!

I have heard and dealt in Def tech. I personally feel that there is no lack of treble in this system. However, sound is personal and I will understand if you are feeling the lack of the same.

I would suggest tweaking the AVR and check if there is some setting that you might have skipped. Secondly, use silver plated wires. They are known to make the sound slightly brighter. I am still surprised that you have treble set at +10db and yet you are not satisfied. There is something wrong.

Do you think you can borrow an AVR from a friend and test the speakers?

Shitij

I am confused: How do you connect the equalizer between BDP and AVR?? I think this sony BDP has 2.0 analog outs and not 5.1/7.1. hence, our friend has to use HDMI to output 5.1 channels to AVR either compressed or uncompressed.

Suggestion was for Music listening only, as mentioned by our friend Kiddy. I believe the front LR channel RCA output of the BDp can be direcly connected to the RCA input of the AVR via an equalizer. He can then set the AVR in pure stereo mode.

Hi guys!!

I have got below

Thnks

Kiddy

Go for a good 10 band or 20 band equaliser

I agree with Viveks suggestion , eqlzr is a fine solution to control the treble and other tiny improvements....Contact our forum member rohitt he has a few eqlzrs....

which channel should i use to connect a new pair of tweeters? AVR has 7.2 and i am using 5.1 config.

Thnks for suggestion

Kiddy, if you don't mind my saying it, I think you are going about this in the wrong way.

At the outset you are getting confused between channel and frequency. A channel is a sort of pipe through which certain parts of the music or sound is sent. In stereo you have two channels, in 5.1 you have six, and in 7.1 you have eight.

All channels will carry a fully spectrum of frequencies excepting what is called the LFE. LFE is limited to carrying something like 250Hz and below and this can be adjusted through what is called a crossover.

What you are looking for is high treble and this is a frequency. Something like 6kHz and above. If you add a few tweeter and connect one 'channel' all you will get is distortion as the tweeter will a get a much higher range of frequencies than it can handle. Secondly you also would be cutting off the sound to a genuine speaker set that is set up to handle that channel.

The best way to handle this is through the AVR controls where you set up the frequency range of certain speakers. In some AVRs you also have a equalizer through which you can control what frequencies go to which speaker.

The second way to handle this is to get a pair of speakers that are brighter than what you have.

The third way is what has been suggested above. Use a graphic equalizer in your chain.

Directly connecting tweeter without managing the crossover properly is a very bad idea.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

You are absolutely right, I cannot just connect a pair of tweeters on any channel and solve my problem, it'll unbalance the sound I am getting.

In fact, my hardware setup what i mentioned in my previous one is lacking. note below

1) Onkyo 708
2) Sony BDP S 570( for blu ray viewing only)
3) Pioneer 1120 (for DVD and playing MP3s)
4) Iomega screenplay Director( for playing Audio, videos etc)
5) Sony NX500 LCD

All of the above are connected through HDMI.

My audio listening sources are different at diff times hence connecting a Eq in one of the source will not help me much.

My current setup is giving me enough of Hi Freq sound but I personally feel is not right though quality/clarity of sound through every components is exceptionally good I just need some extra punch on the treble when listening music.

i tried setting my Equalizers manually through setting on AVR, also tried Audissey.

Thnks for your suggestion once again.

Lets see if someone comes up with some bright idea.

If he plans to connect the equalizer through 2.0 analog, then he is going to miss the remaining channels!

I have heard and dealt in Def tech. I personally feel that there is no lack of treble in this system. However, sound is personal and I will understand if you are feeling the lack of the same.

I would suggest tweaking the AVR and check if there is some setting that you might have skipped. Secondly, use silver plated wires. They are known to make the sound slightly brighter. I am still surprised that you have treble set at +10db and yet you are not satisfied. There is something wrong.

Shitij

In fact, my hardware setup what i mentioned in my previous one is lacking. note below

1) Onkyo 708
5) Sony NX500 LCD

My audio listening sources are different at diff times hence connecting a Eq in one of the source will not help me much.

My current setup is giving me enough of Hi Freq sound but I personally feel is not enough though quality/clarity of sound through every components is exceptionally good I just need some extra punch on the treble when listening music.

i tried setting my Equalizers manually through setting on AVR, also tried Audissey.

Shitij

1) Onkyo 708
5) Sony NX500 LCD
6) Def Tech Pro Cinema 1000

My current setup is giving me enough of Hi Freq sound but I personally feel is not right though quality/clarity of sound through every components is exceptionally good I just need some extra punch on the treble when listening music.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back