Help me select a Mini Hi-fi system

gibikote

Hi

Please help me choose from the Samsung DX75, DX56, Philips FWD832/98 and Sony AZ33D. All of them are in the 10K - 15K range.
mini audio system - general audio SAMSUNG

FWD832/98 - DVD Mini Hi-Fi System - Audio systems - Audio products - Philips

Sony India : DHC-AZ33D (DHCAZ33D) : Details

This will be for my 15' x 15' living room area, get connected to the TV for enhanced audio, play audio cassettes, VCD and DVDs including occassional personal home DVDs.

There is no separate DVD player, and all these systems have only 2 speakers. Also, this is an apartment block with many kids and students (other than my own).

Audio and video quality (funcionality) & build are more important than looks or brand name (not unimportant though). I get the feeling audio could be better on the Sony/Philips due to virtual surround sound... but is that a gimmick?

Hope someone out there has used/heard these (any) models.. Unfortunately I have no access to any of these out here, but can order them and acquire in a week.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry but I wouldn't buy any of those three. My list would be Sony MHC-RV222 (INR 8000) and Sony MHC-RV555 (INR 10000). If you want to be able to play DVDs as well Sony MHC-GNZ333D (INR 12000). But I'd still be in favour of Sony MHC-RV222 or Sony MHC-RV555.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that *my* suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions.

There is no "I want to hear...." type of thing in my mind.
But it would be helpful to understand if you could add *why* you would choose either of those (maybe you have heard/used them, etc.) and not the others.

Yes, I wish to be able to play DVDs as well (is that to be avoided?). Thus the GNZ333D seems to be the one. Thing not available compared with the AZ33D would be Dvix and USB compatibility... as of now I am not sure whether I will miss them in the future.

regards,
GSV

Sorry but I wouldn't buy any of those three. My list would be Sony MHC-RV222 (INR 8000) and Sony MHC-RV555 (INR 10000). If you want to be able to play DVDs as well Sony MHC-GNZ333D (INR 12000). But I'd still be in favour of Sony MHC-RV222 or Sony MHC-RV555.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that *my* suggestion.

But it would be helpful to understand if you could add *why* you would choose either of those (maybe you have heard/used them, etc.) and not the others.

I have used similar Sony midi systems and they were the best one-box systems available in India. And I used to audition every single Sony audio product that Sony India ever launched. My recommendation is based on that experience. MHC Series of Sony was one of the best they brought on Indian soil. All this for music purpose.

Yes, I wish to be able to play DVDs as well (is that to be avoided?). Thus the GNZ333D seems to be the one. Thing not available compared with the AZ33D would be Dvix and USB compatibility... as of now I am not sure whether I will miss them in the future.

Music and Movies are entirely different. Current set of any product available from Sony India is not good at both. They do some good HTIBs (for the price, I am being very general, caution advised while reading). But their HTIBs are a pile of garbage at doing Music.

Never tried their music oriented systems for watching movies (real movies, as in DVDs with Dolby/DTS tracks), so no comments on that.

My advice is spend about 10k on a Music system from Sony and then another 15k on a (separate) HTIB. That will be two systems to keep and manage, but give you much better returns on your money.

All IMO.

Re: change in plan.. select a HTiB ...and then add a Mini Hi-fi

Hi again,

any comments on the DAV-DZ151KB as the HTiB ? I could add the Mini system to this later as suggested. Could not find reviews on this system on the net...

all comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks again.

GSV

I have used similar Sony midi systems and they were the best one-box systems available in India. And I used to audition every single Sony audio product that Sony India ever launched.

Music and Movies are entirely different. Current set of any product available from Sony India is not good at both. They do some good HTIBs (for the price, I am being very general, caution advised while reading). But their HTIBs are a pile of garbage at doing Music.

All IMO.

Re: change in plan.. select a HTiB ...and then add a Mini Hi-fi

Hi again,

any comments on the DAV-DZ151KB as the HTiB ? I could add the Mini system to this later as suggested. Could not find reviews on this system on the net...

all comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks again.

GSV

Didn't check out the site. If its the one that costs 15k new, its an okay buy. Don't expect details or emotions. But it will go VERY loud.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back