Help me select a preamp

And then maybe I'm thinking I could try pairing the C165bee with a valve power next year ...? If it promises to retain the energetic pace and performance of solid state.
Any opinions about this possibility?

Regards

Definately the worst of both worlds and best avoided

Hi Gobble,
To get what u want is going to be difficult to say the least.
Sadly am not familiar with your speakers at all and am now totally against solid silver ICS but then its all system specific.
A good preamp is difficult to find, a good tube pre even more, naturally keeping a sane budget.
I dont know why u say the Rotel RC 1082 is tubey? I have it, if u are not in too much of a hurry, i will sell it to u at a mutually agreeable price. It will take u nowhere though. Matching the Rotel with the NAD is going in reverse at quite a speed!!! I did it for a while with a Nad 272 and this is what i felt. I presume the Nad C165 is similar to my C162 so in a way it makes sense BUT then u are getting the Nad sound entirely, which seems to appeal to u.
What I would do is jus t buy a better class integrated amp for your speakers rather than keep trying with all kinds of preamps.
Rgds

Dinyaar
Thanks for an owners update. I was only going by a review of the RC-1082 that I read on what looked like a reliable site and visited a few times before. The review mentioned a silky fluid sound a similar depth of soundstage that tubes give which I would love to have. But it was only an option on the horizon I was voicing not a serious consideration. Great so I can junk the 1082 from my shortlist, one less option to consider and waste my energies on! Thanks for that.

Like I mentioned earlier - I do not want to junk the NAD for now. This journey started as a search for a drop-in that cleans the sound of the budget NAD a bit and brings an absolutely low noise floor with it. I am afraid to push the 50W NAD beyond 11OCLock for the fear of my speakers blowing up hence all other great Hifi amps pushing 70W and greater and not candidates for me. Then I am afraid of losing the NAD musicality of sound with other solid states hence not considering other 50W category amps. That leaves only tube power amps and hybrid integrateds in the picture.

As for the pre, the NAD 165 is the strongest SS candidate I could think of, except that I know I will keep missing the magic of tubes and want another purchase a year later. Better to finish it off now with one stroke.

Regards

Hi again,
I know this upgrade feeling all too well sadly!!!

See the 1082 is better than the 1070 but that does not say much as the latter is really poor. It acts as a blanket and u can truly enjoy some detail when that blanket is thrown out from the chain. The 1090 was quite good but sadly at the time i did not have the budget for it(read a price barrier that i had to shatter). But Rotel + NAD is a NONO. Also at the price of about 80K for the 1082 its a bigger NONO.
Get hold of a used C162 from someone in bglore if possible. The 165 will naturally work but i am really keen to find out HOW MUCH IT WILL ADD to the sound. As in using the Nad 325 as an integrated V/S using it as a power with a Nad Pre. May not justify the cost (presume the pre is 50K or more)
Rgds

Last edited:
Dinyaar
Thanks for an owners update. I was only going by a review of the RC-1082 that I read on what looked like a reliable site and visited a few times before. The review mentioned a silky fluid sound a similar depth of soundstage that tubes give which I would love to have. But it was only an option on the horizon I was voicing not a serious consideration. Great so I can junk the 1082 from my shortlist, one less option to consider and waste my energies on! Thanks for that.

Like I mentioned earlier - I do not want to junk the NAD for now. This journey started as a search for a drop-in that cleans the sound of the budget NAD a bit and brings an absolutely low noise floor with it. I am afraid to push the 50W NAD beyond 11OCLock for the fear of my speakers blowing up hence all other great Hifi amps pushing 70W and greater and not candidates for me. Then I am afraid of losing the NAD musicality of sound with other solid states hence not considering other 50W category amps. That leaves only tube power amps and hybrid integrateds in the picture.

As for the pre, the NAD 165 is the strongest SS candidate I could think of, except that I know I will keep missing the magic of tubes and want another purchase a year later. Better to finish it off now with one stroke.

Regards

Something does not seem right here. The 11' O clock position does not sound loud enough for you with your bookshelves? And why should you worry about damaging your speakers?

As for your particular issue, I have always heard it said that NAD has a very good power amp section as compared to the pre. I have not really understood it though as I am quite happy with the sound signature of my NAD C372.

But getting a decent preamp and pairing it with the budget C325BEE does not seem like the right strategy to me. As Dinyaar says, it is probably time to let go of the C325 and get an integrated amplifier. Maybe Viren's 6CC3 or the 2A3c one? That is, if you still like the tube character.

Something does not seem right here. The 11' O clock position does not sound loud enough for you with your bookshelves? And why should you worry about damaging your speakers?

As for your particular issue, I have always heard it said that NAD has a very good power amp section as compared to the pre. I have not really understood it though as I am quite happy with the sound signature of my NAD C372.

But getting a decent preamp and pairing it with the budget C325BEE does not seem like the right strategy to me. As Dinyaar says, it is probably time to let go of the C325 and get an integrated amplifier. Maybe Viren's 6CC3 or the 2A3c one? That is, if you still like the tube character.

No I meant the 11Oclock position is way too loud and the speaker excursion frightens me to hell.

I doubt if the valves will give the quick footed speed of SS and I definitely dont want to junk the NAD which I value as a very good performer for the price.

Regards

I've made the decision - I will get the grounded grid DIY kit and assemble it here. It has everything I worry about in a preamp as per the description

"The unit is blistering fast."
"The preamp is dead quiet. Really dead quiet. No hum, no hiss, nothing. The result is a very musical, natural sound that is the complete absence of coloration. It's accurate and natural without being the least bit analytical. Ask someone who owns one."

George, please provide owners opinion on how it scores on what it claims to do.

Moreover it is smack within my budget at usd 500. I dont see a point in spending 50K on ad-hoc upgrades that may not deliver everything I want.
Better to spend 1 lac later if I can ever afford it with a more comprehensive and holistic approach to the upgrade.

For the moment I can afford 25K to experiment and I will live with whatever it delivers as long as it does not introduce any major flaws in sonic quality.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and helping me clarify my thoughts.

Regards

Last edited:
George
What tubes does it use? What are the options for tube rolling you can think of that will enhance its sound?

Regards

have you considered a lyrita pre? RoC is using it in his setup. I have it as well but not able to do a lot of listening - mainly because my system is still waiting to be pressed into duty.
I have moved into a colony of retired army guys - and the whole area is dead silent by the time I come back from the office. It feels awkward to wake them up with my stereo.

Hi Gobble,
I understand you might have already decided on the pre. I just wanted to toss the Aikido into the mix as well. There are quite a few reviews and user opinions on it on DIYA as well as Audiocircle. Just thought you might be interested...

Printed Circuit Boards and Kits

Hi Gobble,
I understand you might have already decided on the pre. I just wanted to toss the Aikido into the mix as well. There are quite a few reviews and user opinions on it on DIYA as well as Audiocircle. Just thought you might be interested...

Printed Circuit Boards and Kits

thanks. Keep the suggestions coming guys. I will check them out on the way.

Edit: The kit does not advertise speed and pace as its forte. Nor does it boast about minimal or absent hum and hiss. See my original requirement in the earlier posts. Give all things nice and tubey, I will not compromise on these primary attributes for it.

Regards

Last edited:
Edit: The kit does not advertise speed and pace as its forte. Nor does it boast about minimal or absent hum and hiss. See my original requirement in the earlier posts. Give all things nice and tubey, I will not compromise on these primary attributes for it.

Regards

Hi Gobble,
I am not sure if any vendor, much less a 'DIY' vendor would be able to advertise attributes such as 'speed' and 'pace', but I'll try and post a few opinions/reviews comparing them to other products. However, I think the only way you could decide if it is 'fast' enough for you is if you actually listen to one. One of the reasons why I suggested this kit is that they accommodate different different tube families such as octals, 9-pins, 5687s and 24V. Depending on the flavor you choose, you have the option of selecting from a large variety of tubes which would increase the chance of hitting the sound signature you're looking for.

Hmm now I am mentally comitted to DIY for the sake of affordability and I feel it is the right attitude and approach for a poor third world guy

+1!

Hi Gobble,
I am not sure if any vendor, much less a 'DIY' vendor would be able to advertise attributes such as 'speed' and 'pace', but I'll try and post a few opinions/reviews comparing them to other products. However, I think the only way you could decide if it is 'fast' enough for you is if you actually listen to one. One of the reasons why I suggested this kit is that they accommodate different different tube families such as octals, 9-pins, 5687s and 24V. Depending on the flavor you choose, you have the option of selecting from a large variety of tubes which would increase the chance of hitting the sound signature you're looking for.

+1!

Hey Gruby

Not sure if you followed the entire thread, but George has built this. Read the page here: The Grounded Grid Preamplifier kit by Transcendent Sound

Regards

Hey Gruby

Not sure if you followed the entire thread, but George has built this. Read the page here: The Grounded Grid Preamplifier kit by Transcendent Sound

Regards

Ah, OK. I see that they mention that the pre sounds 'blistering fast'. Since George has already built it, any chances of you going to audition it with your amp? I still think 'fast' is a relative term but I guess that's for you to decide. I'll see if I can pull up a few threads and post it here, if you're interested. :)

I'm not a person who can write detailed descriptions, but here's what some of the owners have written about the GG

Owner Testimonials

George

George

But do you agree it is hum free, with quick and lively and surefooted attributes as claimed? Does it "swing" and make the listener sway and indulge in unconcious foot tapping? :)

Cheers

Hi Gobble

The problem that I have at this time is that with two tube integrateds that I now use one DHT and another pp, the GG is currently also gathering dust in my new house-along with a lot of other equipment. It certainly was hum free, but "foot tapping. swaying"-I dont know if I would use such terms for any of my amps.

Cheers

George

Hi Gobble

The problem that I have at this time is that with two tube integrateds that I now use one DHT and another pp, the GG is currently also gathering dust in my new house-along with a lot of other equipment. It certainly was hum free, but "foot tapping. swaying"-I dont know if I would use such terms for any of my amps.

Cheers

George

PM'ed you

TIA
Regards

Last edited:
George
But do you agree it is hum free, with quick and lively and surefooted attributes as claimed? Does it "swing" and make the listener sway and indulge in unconcious foot tapping? :)

Cheers

A preamp that "claims" to do all of this? Wow!
:clapping:
The "hum free" is all that I understood and which makes sense to me. The rest...

A preamp that "claims" to do all of this? Wow!
:clapping:
The "hum free" is all that I understood and which makes sense to me. The rest...

No I was expecting the preamp with what ever combi of power and cdp he had did not rob his system of foot tapping qualities. :)

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back